What are the criteria for Justice Leage of America membership?

She was, but Barry didn’t know that at the time. She really was killed, but her parents used thirtieth century tech to snatch her soul and put it in a cloned (I believe, it may have been a brain-dead lookalike) body.

Barry was actually tried for manslaughter for killing Zoom. He got off, thanks in parts to Iris’s help, and the two of them then retired to the future, until Barry was grabbed into the Crisis and killed.

What Menocchio said, chronicled here.

How/when did Wonder Woman die? How did she come back, was it that “purple ray” thing?

Revtim. Believe it or not, the Purple Ray didn’t work.

Diana lapsed into coma after battle with the demon, Neron. Died in hospital after vigil by various superfriends to cure her failed. Ascended to the equal of the Olympian gods as Goddess of Truth. Forbidden contact with her mortal friends for 100 years. Pissed off Zeus royally to save her friends, a breach of her godhead. Zeus restored her mortality, she resumed Wonder Woman identity.

For a time, Hippolyta assumed her daughter’s role as Wonder Woman in both the JLA and time traveled to the 1940s to be a member of the JSA. Credit goes to John Byrne for thinking up this very clever Crisis loophole.

Clever? It was hamfisted and appalling.

It screwed up continuity for the ‘Golden Age’ Fury, the modern Fury from Infinity Inc., and Donna Troy. Byrne’s attempt to fix Donna was equally hamfisted, and he should cease being allowed to break what others have created.

He’s a formerly talented artist who can write well on certain occasions who has suffered a fatal case of ego poisoning and is now destroying creations left and right without care for the readers or continuity.

Right now he’s savaging the Doom Patrol which affects Beast Boy’s continuity.

It happened in Flash v1 #350 which was the last issue of that run.

Thanks. Around when did this happen? Was it before or after Superman was killed by Doomsday?

Mockingbird. Meh. Byrne’s time-travelling Hippolyta in the JSA solves more problems than it created. Donna Troy has the single most convoluted origin/existence of any character in comics – neck-and-neck with the many variations of Hawkman, and Marv Wolfman’s treatments didn’t help, either, so you can’t lay that all on Byrne.

The Furies in the grand scheme of things, are minor third tier characters; continutity conflicts with them are equally minor. It’s been retconned that the Golden Age Fury “admired Hippolyta-Wonder Woman like a mother” although she clearly is not.

I haven’t been terribly impressed with the quality of JB’s output since – jeez – probably NAMOR. I still think in THIS re-introduction of Hippolyta as Wonder Woman to the 1940s JSA was clever. His execution may have been ham-fisted but the solution was not.

Revtim… several years after Superman’s return, in real-time. She dies in Wonder Woman 125, around the time the Morrison-era JLA was dealing with DC 1,000,000.

Yes, actually it was.

The Infinity Inc Fury is not a minor character. Especially with Hector Hall being Doctor Fate and their son being the current incarnation of Dream of the Endless, Lyta is NOT a third tier character.

Donna Troy has had a convoluted past because of hacks like Byrne who ignore the past and rewrite continuity on a whim to suit the way they would like it to be. The problem with that is when you muck with one long standing character it affects more than just that single entity. Donna Troy has been a Teen Titan, a Darkstar, a demi goddess, as well as being Wonder Woman’s sister and an adopted amazon.

YES, I can lay it all on Byrne. He threw a HISSY fit and demanded that for his run on Wonder Woman that Donna Troy was his to muck with. I wish DC would stop giving that blowhard egocentric bastard carte blanche. Phil Jiminez and Greg Rucka(sp?) have done a great job working with the mess Byrne left behind and not just doing as Byrne did and IGNORING past history and changing things without making any sense of it.

I have an in for direct information from a few people at DC and these are facts, not just rumors or gossip. I know the character in minute detail(which is more than Byrne can claim), and even if I don’t agree with a change such as floating Themyscira, at least that wasn’t a STUPID deus ex machina like making the Lansarian mighty morphing invisible jet. I am glad that Rucka got rid of the floating Themyscira, and thus far I am enjoying his run immensely.

After. Wonder Woman 101-146

How easily they forget Mari “Vixen” Macabe.

After every paragraph, insert, “No more so than Wolfman/Pérez on CRISIS.”

[hi, jack!] The typically-not-understood solution to Byrne is to treat his work as he treats everyone-who’s-not-Kirby else. Just use what you want & ignore the rest. Byrne is sort of right about one thing. Comics are a format with a lot of little issues, not a long-form single epic. And occasionally, there are retcons.

True, true. Mea culpa. In my defense, it’s more like ‘How valiantly they try to forget ‘Justice League Detroit’.’

Not to mention Justice League Task Force–featurieng Bronze Tiger!

I think the only hard-and-fast rule is, you have to be nominated for membership by a current member and voted in by the current membership. They have lots of civilian members who might not look so hot in spandex (Oberon, Max Lord, Snapper Carr, among others). Barda was a member before the Morrison run, and I think Orion was as well (I think he joined during the Giffen/DeMatteis period when Adam Hughes was actually the regular artist on the strip).

Moon Maid and Wallace West showed up claiming to be JLA members from another dimension and were sort of briefly grandfathered in. Guy Gardner and Blue Beetle just showed up, apparently, although Maxwell Lord may have given them counterfeit JLA badges like the one he gave Dr, Light III. Jay Garrick and John Stewart were replacements for other Flash/Green Lantern iterations.

Artemis and Hitman were nominated for membership. By whom, I have no idea.

Just what happened to Moon Maid, anyhoo?
:confused:

Spoilers invited.

Krokodil:

Guy and Beetle were amongst the heroes who banded together by mutual agreement to re-form the Justice League after the “Legends” story.

So, it seems to go as follows:

If a Justice League currently exists, admission to membership is dependent upon agreement by current members. All former members of all prior incarnations are automatically accepted as members.

If no Justice League currently exists, whoever bands together to call themselves by that name are officially members. Same as above for members of prior incarnations.

I’m pretty sure they just answered a general open metahuman/crimefighter membership drive. Hitman was summarily dismissed as soon as he started talking about killing superhumans for money, as I recall.

I believe when Guy Gardner was Green Lantern he made no effort to hide his identity.

I have one issue of Justice League Task Force, and I disavow it’s existence. :wink:

I suppose he coutns too, though… but if I recall correctly, Vixen and Bronze Tiger weren’t in the Suicide Squad as indentured criminals, were they? Whereas Disaster was in as a criminal. I mean, I’ve got that much sanity, right?

It’s not like he could, with that haircut. :wink:

At the time she joined, and it may have been JLI, not JLA, the sum total of Green Flame’s powers was the ability to spit out a lighter-like green flame from her mouth, about 3" long.

That, and she was a Brazilian swimsuit model.