What are the most unusual movies in your collection?

I’ve been busy building my DVD collection for some time now. I’ve got the classics and cult films I knew I had to have. But as with any collection, you know you can never quite be sated and so strange titles keep creeping into my archive. My collection is openly displayed in my living room but I’m not sure whether I really want to have explain the following titles to, say, my parents or coworkers:

Meet the Feebles
Triumph of the Will
Audition
Crash
Naked Lunch

With the exception of Triumph of the Will (which I honestly have for academic purposes) I love these movies. I am hopefull, nay certain, that there are much wierder posters out there than me.

Ishtar, primarily. Though if anyone questions, I explain why it’s a pretty funny movie that got bad press because of its price tag.

:: Stalingrad (1993)
:: The Frighteners (1996)
:: True Stories (1986)
:: The Thing From Another World (1951)

The Boyfriend, directed by mad auteur Ken Russell, starring Twiggy and Tommy Tune. I watch it at least once a year.

Pump Up The Volume

Maybe not strange, but the movie I own that’s the least me, has got to be Pee-Wee’s Big Adventure. I like a lot of Tim Burton’s stuff, but I had never seen this one, and it was on sale at Walmart for $5.

Probably the strangest one I have is Pi.

I would have “Salome’s Last Dance” except it’s only available in pan & scan and I refuse to buy it.

I’ll probably get a few weird looks for my 2 volumes of “Get A Life” with Chris Elliot but I enjoyed the show.

I have an old copy of a fairly obscure film called “Zachariah” which starred the at-that-time fairly unknown Don Johnson and was written by The Firesign Theatre.

It’s pretty bad. I’ve yet to be able to watch the thing all the way through.

Hubby is in the business, so we have a ton of stuff.

Oddest thing that is mine is probably the Jacques Tati’s M. Hulot stuff - Playtime, M Hulot’s Holiday, Mon Oncle. I also have a copy of YiYi.

We have a ton of anime and a lot of Hong Kong action movies - in Chinese of course.

“…And God Spoke,” an early 90s mockumentary about the filming of a bible epic. Quite funny, with a very early and tiny Chris Kattan appearance.

“Pandemonium” and “Midnight Madness” - two early 80s teen comedies, the latter being Michael J Fox’s debut.

“Schizopolis,” a virtually unseen, nearly brilliant Soderbergh art film from about 1996.

hrh

Black Cat, White Cat, is probably the least-known movie in my collection, as well as one of my top 10 favorite movies.

Well I do have Audition but i dont think its one of the stranger selections in my collection. The weirdest ones I’ve got are:

Shock Corridor
The Gospel According to Phillip K Dick
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
Dead Alive (Braindead)
Maximum Overdrive
El Bola
Rodan
The City of Lost Children
Marat/Sade
Crumb
Dead Ringers

Wild Zero: Japanese movie staring the band Guitar Wolf fighting zombies using magical guitar picks and firing lightning from their instruments. VERY bizzare.

Doom Generation, the director’s cut. I fucking HATE this movie. It’s the worst movie ever made. Greg Araki sucks as a writer, director, and whatever else he does. Even if it’s not associated with movies, I bet he sucks at it. And I saw this movie BEFORE I owned it. I still watch it every now and then, and I DON’T KNOW WHY!!!

Skin. May not really count, because it was made by a friends of mine. It’s a documentary about another friend of mine, who just so happens to be a gay skinhead. Saw the movie before I met the guy, and it really helped open my eyes. NEWSFLASH: for all you who don’t know, “skinhead” does NOT equal “white supremisist”. Only about 5-10% of “skinheads” belong to that movement, and there are plenty of other movements out there developed to FIGHT racism and descrimination.

And God Spoke a mocumentary about these two guys who try to make a movie about the Bible, but screw it up REALLY bad. Yet, in the end, they end up becoming cult heros, so hey, it all works out.

Nadjia Odd vampire movie about the daughter of Dracula. Just kinda neat.

Superstar. I forget who it’s about, but it’s the true life story of a famous actress who committed suicide told through the use of Barbie dolls.

Plan 9 From Outer Space
(I’ve got the dvd that contains the documentary “Flying Saucers Over Hollywood.” Sam Raimi and his writing partner Scott Spiegel do a hilarious recreation of the time Tor Johnson appeared on Groucho’s “You Bet Your Life.”)

The Final Programme
(AKA “The Last Days Of Man On Earth.” A truly bizzare flick.)

Kiss Me Quick/House On Bare Mountain
(A double feature from Something Weird Video. These are two horror/nudie comedies from the '60s. Again…truly bizzare!)

Maniac/Narcotic
(A 1930’s double feature from Kino Video. Two indescribable films from filmmaker Dwain Esper–a man who made Ed Wood look like Stanley Kubrick.)

The fact that I can watch these really off-beat and bent films on DVD fills me with glee!

My wife just got a DVD set of D.W.Griffith – including BIRTH OF A NATION, INTOLERANCE, BROKEN BLOSSOMS, shorts, etc.

We also have Murnau’s NOSFERATU and Lang’s METROPOLIS

Barn of the Naked Dead – a Manos Hand of Fate-level bad horror flick from the 70s. There’s a barn, but there’s no naked people, and not a lot of dead people. My wife got it for me for Christmas.

Cool Devices. Hentai. Great stuff, very jazzy and stylish. Not for the faint of heart.

Cabiria – Italian masterpiece from 1917. Incredible sets, but slow as Christmas.

Roman Scandals of 1933. Flying under the radar was never done so skillfully.

The immortal Ray Dennis Steckler opus The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies.

SadTomato, If you haven’t read the novel The Final Programme you really should. It’s quite a bit wilder than the movie, the movie dropped the whole “apocalypse party” sequence and the final chapter which oddly predicted the Jonestown massacre.

I own a whole lot od Something Weird DVDs, and they’re all weird. My favorites are Basket Case and Mondo Mod / The Hippie Revolt.
The weirdest movie I own is probably Incubus, a horror movie with Esperanto dialogue starring William Shatner. It’s actually quite good.

S.F.W.

My late fees on this piece of crap (rented 8 years ago, forgot to return.) are unreal!! The rental place closed, so I guess it got charged off…