What are the suggestive sounding phrases in your sport/hobby/profession

I play a bard in an online RPG, so we always say that bards like to do it with an audience.

The magic users hands glow when they cast spells, so Priests hands glow when they do it.

Rogues of course use backstab, They like to do it from behind.

We have a mentor society to help out the new players, so…mentors do it with newbies.

There’s a bunch more, but those are a few of my favorites.

When I first got into newspapering, the people in composition who pasted strips of type on the makeup sheets were called strippers. My folks were delighted I was a journalist; not so much when I said I was dating (and later married) a stripper.

When I was a page editor, we were always asking deadline writers to “fill the hole” We’d be asked how many more column inches we needed to fill the space, and would often reply, “I need eight inches,” or however many inches were required. Any time we called for more than six column inches, one of the senior female editors would mutter, “Yeah, who doesn’t?”

My hobby is woodworking; my wife always snickers when I tell her I have to go to the lumber yard to get wood. She invariably asks, “Want some help with that?” One year I said I wanted a butt plane for Christmas (it’s for planing one surface that’s butted up against another) and she suggested I just go on a diet.

Apologies – didn’t read all of the posts before my own, which is along this same line. :smack:

Ever have anyone ask to borrow your (pica) pole? As in, “Hey, Snoop, lemme see yer pole a sec!”

The bane of our sports editor’s existence was a writer who insisted that any team that made up a scoring deficit to win “came from behind.” He was the same guy who, when Oakland did try to come from behind but failed, reported that “the Broncos beat off the Raiders…” We figured that alone would have been worth the price of admission.

“Bilabial fricative” is pretty good.

Also, I hook rugs from time to time; the associated puns are left as an exercise for the reader.

I do hope you allow her to oblige you on these occasions. Would be a shame to turn down such a helpful spouse. :wink:

Got to document the facts. Somewhere, someone in construction and manufacturing just figured that they might as well be descriptive, so they started calling different things like plugs and sockets “male” and “female.” Sure, the male pieces are what get inserted into the female pieces.

I’m still unclear just what “sex bolts” are (too lazy to find a good picture), but they seem to be legitimate, ordinary things.

Some construction slang is dirty just for the joy of being dirty. In (U.S.) surveying, the RCH is a time-honored term of precision - that is, the legendary width of a Red Cunt Hair. (Nudge that target left! You’re off by an RCH!) A survey “station” (location) that’s an increment of 100 feet from some base point will be shown in the notes as “1+00” - or as shouted across the field “One plus a pair of balls!” or shortened to “One-balls!” or sometimes “One plus a pair!”

f&gs. I work in publishing, and this is what we call folded and gathered signatures of a book or journal. Noobs tend to think we’re talking about “effin’ jeez!”

“Clunky Exposition”—Which, I guess, is voyeurism when performed by robot fetishists.

Hey…did I ever tell you about the time I jinked around this Fokker who was trying to taran me? That evening was a total furball, man…I couldn’t even count how many red-outs I had…

I’m a secretary in a property management office. Every month, I set up the property managers for a long, demanding day of move ins-and-outs.

That’s all I got.

Huh. I would have assumed it was l33tsp3ak for “fags.” As in “d3z3 f&gs suxx0r @t b00kb!nd!n.”

Some years back I worked in the oil and gas industry and there were some corking phrases particularly in the drilling operations.
Picture a room of engineers all with a straight face discussing the following (deep down I know they were smirking or was it just childish purile me?)

We would always

Pump a slug and circulate bottoms up prior to pulling out of hole.
This would involve either back reaming the hole or reaming out the hole all done with the bottom hole assembly.

We always kept our hole clean and pitied the team who sffered a gumbo attack or had a tight hole or a packed hole. There was plenty of running pipe, laying down pipe and laying cable or pumping fibre.

Rats holes, mouse holes, nipples and flanges were running rampant and they all needed greasing.

Incidentally the asset manager would often assume the ownership of the well so would replace “the” with “my” in front of hole as appropriate

All true, I kid thee not, but that what hapens when you lock 70 men on a small metal island for 4 weeks and with nothing to do except put long cylindrical things in and out of a hole all day.

blondchap

I’ve been working in government far too long to still be as amused as I am by the verb “to brief,” as in, to provide a condensed summary or abstract. People often go to brief the Minister, for instance. I still can’t help thinking about it as analogous to the verb “to pants.” I have never seen anyone try to pants the Minister but one day I hope to.

Also I used to play rugby. One of the positions is the hooker, whose role it is to hook (or “snatch”) the ball with her feet when it’s thrown into the scrum by the referee. So on one team I played on, our hooker’s nickname was Snatch. Both words appeared on her varsity jacket.

In curling, of course, there is much grunting and screaming of “HARD! HURRY HARD!”

A colleague of mine (who worked with nuclear reactors) once had an e-mail blocked by the automatic spam/dirty word guard; apparently it got hung up on the phrase “master-slave manipulators.”

Quoted from a music concert I was playing:

Musician 1: How fast do you like this one?
Musician 2: I like it slow.
Musican 1: You hear that guys? She likes it slow!
Musician 2: (As song is counted in) SHUT UP!!
:smiley:

I can’t remember ever wielding a pica pole; such is the age of electronic pagination.

For a while there, LOTS of teams were beating off the Raiders, weren’t they? Good thing he wasn’t in Oakland.

I’ve been waiting to share this one:

Book that came through my workplace recently: Advanced Technology for Meat Processing. Title of Chapter 4 (right after “Automation for the Modern Slaughterhouse”): “Hot-Boning of Meat: A New Perspective”.

The author of the chapter was very careful to always include the hyphen in “hot-boning”. Can’t think why.

Back when I was a lab technician we used to make a lot of jokes about stripping blots. Never boned anything, though.

BAHAHAHAHA!!!
I haven’t heard that one. :slight_smile: I’ll see if anyone else has.

This thread is hilarious.

Sorry for the double post.

I forgot that I probably ask about 200 men a day to “push it in a little further.”

Yes, I mean their bets! I just realized last week that using that phrase probably wasn’t the best way to ask and maybe more than one of them purposefully leaves their bets too far out JUST to hear me ask them again. I’m also pathological about using endearments, one of my favorites is Tiger. So, I sit here red-faced wondering the effects of me asking a 90 year old man to “push it in a little farther, Tiger.”