What are you feeding your pets since the food recall?

Dry food, Royal Canin caloric control and UTI variants.

Avoderm - 's a health cat food. DEFINITELY NOT the hairball variety. :rolleyes:

I don’t suppose anyone knows if a pet shelter would accept an opened 10 pounder of hairball kibble?

Our girls free-feed on dry food mostly, so the recall really didn’t scare me as much. The mix is usually 1/3 Purina One, 1/3 Iams Hairball and Weight Control, and 1/3 Purina Multi-Cat.

In the context of pet cats, I feed regular Innova or Innova Evo, Felidae and Natural Balance, wet and dry, in a semi-regular rotation. I’ve also fed Wellness in the past ( stopped for no good reason - only for what was almost certainly an unrelated issue ).

I’ve seen some people label such brands as “ultra-premium” pet foods ( as opposed to “premium” foods like Eukanuba, Iams or Science Diet ) and they seem to differ from their slightly cheaper compeititors primarily by the type and amount of grain/starch fillers they use and the amount of protein they contain. For example rice, barley or potato instead or corn or wheat. With less starch and more protein they are also generally more calorie/nutrient dense, so you feed less of it per meal ( which might be a problem for some animals used to a greater sense of “fullness” ).

There have been periodic potential complaints raised about some of these as well - for example protein loads in foods like Innova Evo might be a bit much for cats with kidney problems; Wellness uses trace amounts of garlic for flavor and some people worry about the known cat sensitivity to the onion family. That sort of thing. But nothing that would make me worry to much about my own pets eating them.

The above stuff is more expensive, of course. And you can certainly find a billion anecdotes about folks that fed nothing but Meow Mix to their cat for decades and it was always perfectly healthy. But the science ( what I’ve seen of it ) behind these higher quality foods seems to make sense and certainly my animals are happy and healthy. So given that I can afford it and all are readily available within a ten minute drive, I just shrug and buy the stuff.

• Tamerlane

My cat gets what he always gets, Purina Cat Chow Indoor Formula. He free-feeds as he likes. Occasionally, he gets a can of Friskies (generally on Sundays–I don’t know why Sundays, that’s just how it’s happened.) He’s not a big fan of wet food anyway.

Same thing I’ve fed all my cats for the past 25 years…Purina dry food in a perpetual feeder. Though we did switch to Indoor Cat Formula last year. Never a problem, never a sick cat, never any finickiness.