What are your favorite movie musicals? Multiple Choice.

Select as many as you like. I chose not to include musicals in which a significant amount of the music consists of performances (such as “A Hard Day’s Night” or “The Commitments”).

Some of these – A Chorus Line, Show Boat, Bye Bye Birdie* (which should have been included) are great stage musicals but mediocre movies. I was tempted to include Tommy, but it was the Plan 9 From Outer Space of musicals – absolutely terrible, and entertaining because it was so bad.

*The first time I saw A Chorus Line, it was the movie and I wondered why people thought the movie was so bad. Then I saw a high school production of it – which was better than the movie.

RealityChuck brings up a point that I should have stressed in the OP:

Vote for the movie, not the stage play.
mmm

Silence!

I say vote yes! vote yes! vote for 1776!

(except I don’t see that one on the list . . . darn)

From that list I voted for: Beauty And The Beast, Chicago, Evita, Grease, Little Shop Of Horrors, Rent, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, West Side Story, The Wizard Of Oz.

I haven’t seen most of the others so if I didn’t vote for it chances are it’s just because I can’t know (yet) whether I like it. For the record, these are on the list, and I have seen them, but didn’t vote for them because I didn’t like them enough to consider them favourites: Annie, Mary Poppins, Moulin Rouge!, The Sound Of Music, Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory.

Musicals I consider among my favourites that weren’t on the list: Burlesque, Dreamgirls, Nine (would rather listen to the soundtrack than watch the film though), The Phantom Of The Opera (same as Nine), Shock Treatment.

The Pajama Game
Damn Yankees

Agree with montag01 on 1776. I was very disappointed not to see it on your list. Especially the Restored Version released a few years ago on DVD.

I also have a soft spot (not shared by my wife) for Godspell

And Phantom of the Opera, despite their absurd use of Gerard Butler in the title role. The staging, CGI, an the rest of the cast almost makes up for that. Almost.

Godspell and Phantom sneaked by me. I honestly was unaware of 1776.
mmm

I would have voted for two of those. Also missing: The Producers.

The first one that popped into my head was Paint Your Wagon.

It’s okay you left out Hairspray, but no HAIR? Everything about that movie was a pure 60’s delight, and it launched the careers of John Savage and Treat Williams.

Singin’ in the Rain is my favorite movie, period, but pretty much all the movies I love the most are musicals.

Also, can I get some cheesy love for Labyrinth? No? Oh well…

I just picked my ultimate favorite: Grease. I’ve seen it so many times, I can recite the lines for the cast.

Voted for Chicago, Fiddler on the Roof, and The Wizard of Oz, somehow I overlooked Little Shop of Horrors, oops. Also voted for the last category, for Annie Get Your Gun.

Regarding 1776, I second the motion. Or did Delaware already do that?

Also prominently missing from the list: The Music Man, and Victor/Victoria.

Okay, so I’m a Robert Preston fan. What’s it to ya?

I did not see The Music Man on the list.

So I voted for my number 2 choice.

West Side Story would be number one for me. The choreography alone makes it stand out. Music Man would be number two, followed by Oklahoma!.

I only voted for “Singin’ in the Rain”. My criterion was a movie that I’d start watching if I flipped by it on TV. Other of those movies are entertaining enough (Fiddler on the Roof, Mary Poppins, Wizard of Oz, etc.), but I wouldn’t particularly seek them out.

Others I would’ve included: Footlight Parade, Pennies from Heaven, The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, The Pajama Game, Gold Diggers of 1933