What are your favourite effects-with-a-name?

The Coolidge effect. After a probably apocryphal story about Calvin Coolidge wanting a little more.

Okay, then mine is pareidolia. I first encountered this myself around age 4 when I noticed cars have faces.

Angular momentum, and the conservation thereof. Fun with tops and gyroscopes. Interesting to observe in vortices such as whirlpools and tornadoes. Used by athletes, dancers, engineers, and physicists.

The Fleming Effect , coined by Kingsley Amis , describes how Ian Fleming could force plausibility on the most improbable events by the use of authentic sounding background detail.

From * The James Bond Dossier *

I was going to say that. We use it all the time in my work. As a young industrial engineer many moons ago, my boss told me to go walk around the factory five or six times a day carrying a clipboard. I asked how long he wanted me to keep that up. He said, “Until you become invisible.”

Wilhelm Scream.

Sad Trombone.

If I’ve anything from Rammstein, it’s that I have a case of Sehnsucht.

Lake-effect snow. I just think the phrase sounds nice. I’d probably feel differently if I lived anywhere near where it was in effect.

It drives Pepper Mill insane that she tries to do this to me, and I don’t react. She insists it proves that I’m dead, although if it works on zombies, that can’t be right. I must simply be inhuman.

From the link:

So, if she has Babinski reflex it means there’s something wrong with her!

Hmm, I do like this name, and I like it even more knowing that its definition is actually broader than just being able to focus on a single conversation among many.

Yes. You would.

-Live from Chicago

The Heidi Effect.

The phenomenon of nearly every show following an NFL game starting later than the published schedule.

It started in 1968 after The Heidi Game. Heidi Game - Wikipedia The network cut short the Raiders-Jets game’s coverage in the eastern half of the country to start the Heidi movie on time. After the movie started, the Raiders scored 2 touchdowns in the final minute to win the game 43–32.

Fans, and the NFL, were miffed, to say the least. Following the dustup, scheduling on game nights was often disjointed to make sure it never happened again.