What are your jersey fouls?

Apologies if it was mentioned and I missed it, but one thing I don’t like is wearing a jersey for a former star of a team, but with the team’s current (and changed) jersey. For example, I don’t want to see a Paul Molitor #4 jersey for the Brewers with the current Milwaukee design, with its clean white and navy trim; he played with the white uniforms with royal blue pinstrips. If the player is a throwback, the jersey needs to be a throwback.

I hate it when players tuck them in. Kris Letang is an awesome defenseman (in fact, I’m hoping he wins the Norris), but I hate how he tucks his jersey in. It looks fucking stupid.

Are you sure the latter was a fan? :wink: (Because I know people who do that for rival teams.)

I don’t think so. Jerseys are expensive, and I’m not going to buy a new one if said player was a long time member of the team, just because said person left. I couldn’t afford it. Hell, I only have one Pens jersey (Letang), and I want to get another one (Marc-Andre Fleury), but I can’t afford it.

What I REALLY want is a vintage Mario jersey.
(I would say a big jersey foul is those horizontal striped Habs throw-back jerseys. Those are just a crime against good taste)

Amen!
The ones I hate are the puckbunnies who have “Mrs. so-and-so” on their jerseys. Especially when you know damn well they’re not the real Mrs. so-and-so.

Anyone who has a Yankees jersey with the name on the back. I know they sell them but no one is forcing you to buy them. To be a true fan of a team you have to respect the traditions. No names, of course. On warm up or spring training jerseys, acceptable.

0 or 00 (exception for teams with players actually utilizing the number, notably Parrish, Woolridge, Al Oliver throwbacks), and unless your child is rocking an Eddie Gaedel throwback, fractions.

What if the player retired before you were even born? When you’re an Indians fan, for instance, your choices of players who are both jersey-worthy and likely loyal players are few and far between, after all (I’m trying to avoid the possibility of having a jersey I can’t wear because the player whose name is on it jumped ship for more money a la the Whore of Akron). I have a Cleveland Indians Bob Feller jersey in the current Indians jersey style, which was given to me as a gift. A 1950-era throwback jersey, while I’d love one, would be prohibitively expensive.

That site is definitely relevant to the topic and I’m not bashing you for linking to it but…

It has to be one of the least funny websites that are clearly trying to be funny/witty I’ve ever seen. Ugh.

That link doesn’t work for me at all.

I hate 3rd alternate jerseys for the most part. Some look good, but those are the minority. I can barely tolerate the Orange Bears jersey and that’s my team, but whenever I see those Green Bulls jerseys or Sox jerseys I get stabby. Don’t even get me started on unofficial colors like Pink Brady jerseys or Black on Black jerseys for any team.

Absolutely! When I was married my wife asked me if I would ever wear a Cubs jersey (I’m a Cardinals fan). I said the only one I would consider wearing was a Santo jersey. Xmas morning I open a box with a modern day Cubs jersey in it with “SANTO” across the back. No wonder we divorced.

If I were a Blackhawks fan, I might get a customized one that said “Griswold”. THAT would be cool.

In MLB, they aren’t required to have their names on the back? I know in the NHL it is. In fact, when the rule first came out, Harold Ballard, the owner of the Maple Leafs was such a stingy bastard he protested that it would cut into program sales, and decided to have them sewn on in the same colors of their jerseys. He was fined for that little stunt.
How about wearing a jersey from another sport to a game? Like a Steelers jersey to a Pirates game? WTF???

But yeah, I’m glad I live in Pittsburgh, you don’t see too many bad ones here. Most of the sports groupies bring signs rather than mutilate their jerseys. And as I said before, I have yet to see a grown woman wear a pink jersey for the Pens/Steelers/Pirates.

My favorite NON jersey foul would have to be Pittsburgh Penguins Pascal Dupuis’s kids. Instead of “Dupuis” their jerseys say “Daddy”. I thought that was adorable.

I’m not sure if there’s a rule, but if there is, it’s gotta be the worst enforced rule in baseball. In addition to the teams that never have their names on the back, there are a couple of teams that seemingly flip-flop back and forth depending on the season. The Cubs are one, if I remember correctly. And they even let Ichiro put his first name on his.

The Yankees have never had names on their uniforms. I believe they have had them on spring training uniforms which are never used in official games. IIRC the Red Sox have names on their away jersey but not the home jersey. It’s not a MLB rule.

Jersey Foul Bingo Card - this mostly relates to hockey, but it applies at least a little to all team sports.

A lot of what’s been mentioned here is on the card somewhere. I agree with most of it, but I must say that I kind of like when everyone busts out their Doan-era Jets jerseys when either Winnipeg OR Phoenix plays here.

Oh, you see a LOT of people wearing their old school Mario jerseys. Of course, you can still buy them. (I want one so bad.)

In Japanese, doesn’t the last name come first? So, John Doe would be Doe John? That would make since if Ichiro is actually his last name, that would be the name he’d have on his jersey.

Yes, Japanese names are ordered family name, given name. But that’s “Suzuki Ichiro.” Ichiro is his given name; even in Japan I think he was the only one with his given name on his jersey.

Granted, there’s a lot of inconsistency; for some reason westerners observe ordering of family name first for Chinese players (e.g., Yao Ming) but not Japanese players.

first off, hello! I had to join this site just for this thread.

I received an MLB jersey as a gift… the person who gave me the jersey had it personalized with my name on the back… along with a number that happens to be retired by the team… player is now in the hall of fame.

I dont have the heart to tell the person who gave it to me but normally I WOULD NOT wear a pro jersey with my own name on it… I just want some thoughts… trying to justify wearing it without feeling like a giant tool.

Dude, it was a gift. That relieves you of any and all fouls since you had no say in what name or number to be used.

Its not cool to wear Bush or Simpson jerseys to Trojan games.