What are your jersey fouls?

I also hate the jerseys where the team colors are changed to all pink in an effort to increase sales to women.

my 11yo loves hers!

To me, it says “I like this particular team even though they’re not playing today, and I’m here at this game because I like the sport”. Yeah, they don’t like either of the teams at the game enough to own paraphernalia for them, but really, how many people own paraphernalia for more than one team in the same sport? So they wear some other team’s colors to at least get in the spirit of the game.

To me those are fine on little kids, not so much on older women. I see little girls wearing them – including daughters of players, and they look really cute. But I don’t think I’ve ever seen a grown woman wear one.
And yeah, I’m one of those who refer to my team as “we”, but I don’t have a personalized jersey. I’d rather have one of my favorite players. Of course, a personalized jersey DOES avoid the dreaded “jersey curse”. (You know, right after you buy a jersey, said player is traded!)

Y’all should go here. This is a cornucopia of jersey FAIL.

I think that’s because of Pittsburgh - those colors are so ingrained in the fandom, women would be hesitant to mess with it. You see a TON of them here in Indy. But then, Colts fans are pretty fickle creatures, and very bandwagon-y.

You have to respect the jersey.

You also never tuck it in.

Agreed. This is beyond stupid. It’s like saying, “I don’t like either of the teams playing right now but I like this one.” Then why are you at the damn game? It makes you look like a tool. And it’s something I see all the time. I will give you a pass for wearing the jersey of a player’s former team, though. As long as that player is currently on the field somewhere.

Which brings me to a question: I’ve a number of jerseys for players that either no longer play for the team, or have retired. What’s the consensus on these? Should I continue to wear my Cris Carter, Fuad Reveiz, and Mitch Berger jerseys to Vikings games? Are there guidelines?

I agree with the others that this only works for girls. I bought my 7-year-old niece a pink Adrian Peterson jersey because she wanted a Vikings jersey and she loves pink. It’s cute on her. On grown women, it’s more than a bit precious.

Reminds me of a video of Bruins “fans” I saw earlier this year (I think in the preseason). Each “fan” is wearing a jersey and are being asked questions while they wait/approach the arena to go to a game:
What are the team’s colours?

Um…black and…white?

What is the team’s mascot?

Um…

Who is the head coach?

Julian somethingorother

Who is the captain?

Tim Thomas?
Tyler Seguin?
Tom Brady?

It was positively hilarious. Bunch of idiot band-wagon jumpers.

Oh, as for wearing a different jersey than that of the team that is playing…I consider that to be acceptable when, for example, wearing a Habs jersey (hockey) at an Alouettes game (CFL football). I’ll buy an Als jersey when I have the money, but I’m a much bigger Habs fan (and own a jersey…no name on it) and feel it’s a city thing rather than a team thing, if that makes sense? Bleu-blanc-rouge applies to both teams!

Conversely, it is never acceptable to wear a Leafs or Argos jersey. Ever. :wink:

Two from Washington Caps hockey.

Nick Backstrom wears #19, I saw a guy with #19 and the name was BACKSTORM.

Alex Semin wears #28. One fan wears #28 with “JIZZ” as the name.

Crazy Habs example…

The other day, I saw someone with a #11 jersey…

…with the name GOMEZ on it instead of KOIVU.

WTF?

:smiley:

Clearly, you’re just jealous that you don’t get laid 4 times a day.
If you don’t want to see jerseys for teams that aren’t playing on a given day (and I’m as guilty as anyone), go to an MLS game or a friendly when some of the top European teams come to the US. I’ve worn Manchester United jerseys to those, and you’ll see people wearing anything from top Euro teams to South American clubs and countries, to obscure clubs in England and Mexican powers. I went to the United-Chicago Fire match in July, and with about 50k people in attendance, there were probably more people with United shirts than any other, followed by the Fire, and then I’d guess Barcelona (Messi), Real Madrid, and the US national team. Personally, I think that’s pretty awesome to see so many people that are fans of so many clubs come out to see top teams in their favorite sport.

Wearing the jersey of an active player who is no longer on your team – minor foul.
Above, if the player left on a sour note and/or regularly bashes his former team – major foul. Fuck that guy.

True, unless the name on the back of the jersey has been altered to become hilarious. For example, at a Browns game a couple years ago I saw a Tim Couch jersey with the ‘C’ covered up. Awesome.

Yes! I immediately tossed my Tiki Barber jersey in the donation box once he started opening his mouth about Eli. If I’d known Tiki would turn out to be such a big, swinging dick, I would have burned it instead.

Yup… I’m still not sure what to wear to games this season after the Pujols departure. Been wearing that one for 10 years now…

Although I’m tempted to got the “modified” route and add a vertical bar to the 5. But that’s really a joke that only works for one game, IMO. Maybe I’ll save it for the first time the Angels come to town for interleague.

Yes, definite exception there. As is this.

Those split jerseys are awesome! If I cared about sports at all I’d definitely try and pick one of those up.

The only real irk with me, despite the aforementioned nonsportsman is the 69 thing that’s already been mentioned. I was tired of 69 jokes before I was even in high school. Grow up dumb asses.

I think this one depends on the player; wearing, for example, a Lapierre Habs jersey would be a minor foul, because he didn’t really do much for the team and wasn’t on it very long, but someone like Saku Koivu who was captain for a decade, battled cancer, put in lots of money into the local hospitals, etc… his jersey you can wear any time, even though he didn’t get re-signed as a free agent and now plays for the Ducks.

Absolutely. Especially the assholes who go and sign with the biggest rivals after leaving the team as free agents - looking at you, PooPoo and Komi!