What are your plans for St. Patrick's Day?

I have the second half of my teeth cleaning. Then I’m going to write a speech on Belle Gunness. Then I’m going to do my Psych homework. Then I’m going to pick my boyfriend up at work.
In other words, it’s a normal day for me and anyone who tries to kiss or pinch me because I LOOK Irish is going to get a slap.

I didn’t used to hate St. Patrick’s Day. After 4 years of being forced to endure the stupid parade and the drunk idiots who think they can pinch me for not wearing green when I’m so obviously Irish (which I’m not, even with the red hair), I have come to loathe the stupid holiday.

So sorry people do that, congodwarf. I’ve never understood the need to pick on people.

I’ll be wearing the shamrock earrings I’ve owned since I was in 5th grade. They’re nice, understated 14k gold earrings that just happen to be shamrocks.

I have to work and am not really the rowdy partying type, so that’s probably about it.

I didn’t mean to come off so grumpy. I’m sorry if I offended anyone.

I don’t actually hate the holiday. I just hate the way some people act on this particular holiday. Unfortunately people who look like me are magnets for a certain type of very obnoxious St. Patrick’s Day celebrant and it gets old very fast.

My issue with parades is actually a general parade issue and has nothing to do with today.

It’s already started here in Cleveland. I’m sure at 6:00 am you could get a Guiness and corned beef sandwich somewhere. The crowds are already showing up for the parade at 1 pm, I can see them out my office window. It’s a beautiful, warm, sunny day.

That’s OK! I’m in the same boat (red hair, neither Irish nor Catholic). I’m sometimes tempted to wear orange, but I don’t want to be a dick about it.

I do have at least half that as I was baptized as Catholic when I was too young to protest. I have no idea what my father’s family’s long ago nationality is though. They’ve been here so long that half of them look like full-blooded Native Americans. They don’t seem to care much either. I once asked my grandmother where her family was from. She said, “Auburn MA”. :stuck_out_tongue:

I DO know that my red hair and skin coloring didn’t come from my father’s family.

The funny part is that I could avoid so much hassle by just wearing green on 3/17. I LOVE green. I wear it all the time. But, I somehow manage to flake on the date every year and never wear green. This leads to so many people becoming offended that, “a good Irish lass like you is rejecting your heritage!” Whatever. I had 4 other redheaded friends in school and only one of the 5 of us has Irish heritage (and her family is stereotypical Irish Americans).

Faith and begorrah!

Snakes are awesome.

Not Irish, not Catholic. My husband’s nominally Catholic (“recovering Catholic”) but Italian. How many of you celebrating today will be acknowledging St. Joseph’s Day, hmm? :slight_smile: It’s a normal day today, and no wearing green.

I do look very Irish, but my red hair is courtesy of my stylist.

I didn’t go into the parade because I’m trying to get some work done. I wish that dog next door would quit barking.

Keeping an eye on Irishfest on TCM while working around the house:

The Irish In Us
Finian’s Rainbow
Irene
Three Cheers For the Irish
Young Cassidy
Daughter of Rosie O’Grady

Used to be we’d take a shot of booze every time an Irish copper showed up, or some girl’s Irish daddy would snarl to her beau, "Take yr mitts off me dahter, ye blackguard, she won’t be havin’ the likes of YOU!’ but those days are over; I’d pass out by noon. (And no Quiet Man showing listed for today :(?)…It would be more fun if it was cold and cloudy, but the sun is shining, I may have to pass on this grand old Salinqmind tradition.

Elsewhere, the green shamrock was painted, in the middle of the road, outside THE Irish pub here, last night at midnight. They’ve been lined up waiting to get inside for green beer since then. Midnight.

I’m a quarter Irish and a strawberry blonde I usually remember to wear green but around here we don’t really have a lot of people getting uptight about it, no pinches or kissing. But then again I avoid the parades and bars so I probably miss out on a lot of the drunk idiots.

St. Patrick’s Day is over already. You guys are just a few time zones too late, sorry.

I don’t usually do anything on St Patricks Day. It’s a sad day for me because it was my sister’s birthday, my sister who died of liver cancer at age 34. :frowning:

You know, your great something granduncle enslaves one saint, you never hear the end of it.

See, that’s what I love about Guiness and Murphy’s, you can pour all the green dye in it you want, and you can’t tell!

Well despite being at work I did manage to sneak out to a pub at lunchtime and had a birthday pint of Meantime stout (from Greenwich, naturally) and some cabbage and bacon. :slight_smile:

More seriously, mom’s corning her own beef this year, so I’m going over to see how it comes out.
(Yes, the slave bit is true)
You know, today was the 250th St. Patrick’s Day Parade in NYC? Been going on longer than America’s been around.

I’ve spent the day painting the downstairs bathroom- which, as it turns out is irishfella’s idea of “doing something together”.

Now chilling out on the sofa with a glass of wine, waiting for the walls to dry so I can start on the woodwork.

I found time between coats to make Irish stew- it’s bubbling away on the hob and smells YUMMY!

irishbaby is wearing a baby-sized Irish rugby shirt, accessorised with neon pink converse hightops. Super cute.

I am wearing on old pair of hospital scrubs, accessorised with paint splatters.

Is a day off standard up in Nordie land too? :slight_smile:

Party at my House. BYOB.