What brands are you loyal to from your parents?

Duke’s mayo, always. Crystal hot sauce. Dawn dish soap for most soapy applications, though I actually wash my dishes with Palmolive antibacterial (better germ kill on hard surfaces).

Dad’s brand preferences weren’t really out of any liking of the product itself, but of the prestige of using brand name only items. Most of his were no better in reality than other choices, so I have abandoned them.

I always buy calumet baking powder in the can with the lid you have to pop off. I don’t know why. I’m sure the generic stuff works just as well but mom always got calumet so that’s what I get.

Farm-All/International Tractors. Only aloud to have red around even as a kid no green tractor toys. This actually came from my Grandfather that I never met but my boys both know the rules!

I smoke a pipe, as did my father. Dad preferred MacBaren, Peterson’s, and Dunhill pipe tobaccos; and today, I do too. Occasionally, I try others, but I always come back to the products of those three pipe tobacco companies.

The only other thing I can think of are Chevrolets. Dad loved Chevys, and though he occasionally broke from that (I can still remember the Mercury that Dad owned when I was a child), I’d guess that Dad owned four or five Chevys in his lifetime. He always said that a Chevy was a good, dependable car, and I guess I listened, because today, I drive a Chevy, which I bought after my last Chevy got too old.

Oh jeez I forgot my Daddy’s beer, he drank nothing but Bud (not bud light or some flavored bud). If I drank beer that is what I would buy.

Thanks for reminding me. My Dad drank Molson beers, pretty exclusively. (Here in Canada, Molson produces a raft of beers: Canadian, Export, Old Style Pilsner; and in the past, Oktoberfest, Diamond, Light, and so on.) Dad never liked Labatt or Carling-O’Keefe beers too much, though he would never refuse one if offered. (Seriously, who would ever turn down a free beer?)

Me? Today, like my Dad, Molson beers are what I typically buy at the liquor store. My preference is Old Style Pilsner, though when a friend from Ontario visits, I make sure I’m well-stocked with Canadian. Regardless, like Dad, I would never turn down a Labatt product if it was offered. Free beer is free beer, after all. :smiley:

Not too many brands, but…

Premium saltines, Skippy peanut butter, Colgate toothpaste. I can’t think of any others off the top of my head.

Great question, thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Matzes at Easter. There’s some faint Jewish heritage on my moms side, and matzes at Easter is pretty much all that remains of siad heritage.

Marmite on toast. I’m on my 20’th jar of Marmite since leaving home. A jar lasts forever.

Subscribing to the Dutch Consumers magazine. A wide cicle of friends and family asks for my access info to their independent product tests.

A fondness for visiting DIY stores and buying DIY stuff.

Going to certain musea and amusement parks, but that is more a general Dutch parent thing then specific to my parents.

While I’ve tried other varieties, I still prefer Peter Pan peanut butter, Townhouse crackers, Cheez-Its, and Kraft mayonnaise.

Crest toothpaste, not gel.

That’s it.

Over the years, I’ve had different preferences in soft drinks, different preferred laundry products, different shampoos, even different types of food (I’ve given up canned veggies for frozen.) But it’s always been Crest toothpaste.

Westpac Bank.

Around 1920 my maternal grandfather wanted funding to buy a second and bigger farm.
Drove a horse & sulky to every bank within 75 miles of his home property. Took him over a month to complete the circuit.
Only one would advance him the funds, the Westpac Bank (then the Bank of NSW) at Deniliquin.
Wherever the manager was transferred to another branch for the next 20 years as an article of faith and loyalty all the family accounts followed him until he retired as manager of the Moama Branch. .
All the grandchildren and great grandchildren (most of whom weren’t born when Gramps died) have an account with Westpac in Moama.
I’ve had a nominal balance in an otherwise dormant account there for almost 60 years.

The 2 lb box of Mueller’s spaghetti. I honestly can’t tell the difference between that and Barilla (or any other brand of pasta, really) but I buy the Mueller’s only because it’s what mom bought.

Formula 409
Dawn dish soap
All laundry detergent
Dial bath soap

Crest, for most of my life. Dentist has me using a high fluoride toothpaste sold through his office.

Folgers coffee

Familiar items from childhood that I continue using.

Forgot State Farm.

Mom switched when I was a teen. I still use them for home and car insurance.

Sears was my parents supplier of clothes and coats. I dressed my daughters from the Sears store until a few years ago. Switched to JC Penney when they were teens. Eventually they started selecting their own.

Substitute “Ford” with “GM” and this is me.

Craftsman tools.

“Heluva Good!” brand dips. I’m just sorry the New England Clam Dip is no longer available.

On the rare occasions when I visit western New York, I still buy Zweigle’s cured meats.

I have a close friend whose father is a retired Master Volvo Tech so he’s always had Volvos and refuses to even consider another car.

Now, there’s nothing wrong with that, Volvos are excellent cars, I owned one myself years ago and loved it, but the problem is my friend isn’t buying new ones, or even relatively recent ones, he’s buying the cheapest used ones he can find, in questionable condition, with well over 100,000+ miles on it already because “my father can fix it up.” True, his dad helps him fix them up and keep them running, but still his cars are always pieces of shit so he needs to keep a rotating cast of three or four of them because he can only afford to ever patch up one of them enough to run at a time. :smack:

American Express. By dad put me as an additional cardholder on his account when I was around 18. I’ve had one ever since. (my own account since 1987) I can’t think of anything else.

Crest toothpaste. I think that’s about it.

Great story.