What comically embarrassing moment can you share?

It was so long ago, that I don’t even remember the plot line of the play, Come Back Little Sheba. Nevertheless, I was the lead, and toward the very end, I come home (from rehab, I think) to my wife.

It’s a very tender scene. She is sitting in an arm chair, I drop to my knees in front of her, put my head in her lap. I was about to utter something soft and endearing…

and she farted.

It was loud enough for both of us to hear, but not, I hope to this day, loud enough for the audience to hear.

She was so startled she uttered a barely audible, “Ooh-ooh!”

This woman was, in real life, a very proper, very shy, very nice English lady. So, I was profoundly embarrassed for her, and simply went on with the scene as if nothing at all happened. I never mentioned it to her or anyone in the cast - just my wife, months later.

A very proper and nicely dressed older woman strolling through the jewelry section of a Nordstroms with the back hem of her skirt stuck in the waistband of her panty hose.

An instructor in contract law strolls through the class of about 30 students, talking about a court case that he was involved in years earlier, with a large and very obvious booger hanging out of one nostril. 4 or 5 students held out tissues as he walked by as a gentle reminder but he ignored them, he was engrossed in his story.

The co-worker returning to work with an obviously used piece of toilet paper hanging out of his pants.

A group of about 6 at a buffet style restaurant, all appeared to be well lubricated prior to their arrival. One younger blonde woman in the group was sitting quietly, with her upper body making small circles when she slowly leaned forward and and face planted in her plate of food. She suddenly sprang back up and sat there with a grin and mashed potatoes on her face.

We were putting on a skit of “The Hundred Eyed Argus” in 7th grade. My friend Margaret was supposed to say, “Here is a pleasant place to sit, shepherd!”

That’s not what she said. Oh my gosh, we had to take a laugh break. Even the teachers were out of control.

I was sharing a house with someone I didn’t get on very well with. It was a Victorian house with the kitchen in an extension at the back and the bathroom leading off from the kitchen. I came back from work to an apparently empty house and went to the toilet. I was then washing my hands and looking at myself in the mirror when I said to myself out loud “Now that was a good crap”. I exited the bathroom to find my housemate unpacking groceries in the kitchen. There is no way she could have failed to hear me (she’d also have been able to smell how good it was).

Today, I got to witness my neighbor do the ol’ cartoon/rake maneuver. Twice on the same rake.

Oh, jeez - I’ve done that. Also, stepped on a banana peel, with the expected result.

I was taking a linguistics course in college. It was an elective course, I didn’t have to take it for my major, but it looked interesting in the catalog.

The professor was boring and I could hardly follow his lectures. He’d ramble on and on about stuff that didn’t have any relation to the class.

One day, he’s sitting on the back of a chair with his feet in the seat. Being a man, his legs are naturally spread, and he has a HUGE hole in his trousers on his inner upper thigh. Any higher up and I could have told you the color of his underwear.

I took one test, then withdrew from the class.

What’s so funny about pronouncing a word incorrectly, as “Sepherd?” :smiley:

A good friend and I were at the pool hall. I’d won the first game and was demonstratively celebrating – small victory dance, arm waving, etc.

My feet flew out from under me, as if I’d slipped on a banana peel. I landed flat on my back and because I still had the pool cue in my hand with I landed, the stick slapped against the floor and caught everybody attention.

Every game won after that was lauded with a restrained, “Good show, old chap,” and a dignified handshake for good sportsmanship.

ivylass, when I was young and impressionable lad of 13, a favorite pair of jeans of mine had a hole in the crotch but I wore them to baseball game; I thought I could hide the hole by keeping my legs closed.

My friends pointing and laughing at the “impression” I was making when a cutie I was attracted to walked by and I forgot the hole was there was quite embarrassing.

Once when skiing there was a wide steep run that at the very end became a very narrow,very steep run indeed.

Everyone used to take their skis off at this point and walk down to the drag lift.

But I mastered it and started sweeping down the narrow bit at speed and then smugly racing along the drag lift queue before stopping in a shower of snow.
Smug factor ten.

But then one day I got some ice under my boot and treated several hundred Germans and Swiss in the queue to the sight of me sliding face down in the snow at a rate of knots for quite a fair distance and afterwards trying unsuccessfully to act as though I didn’t feel a
complete and utter wanker.

Another time I was playing pool in a pub close by to a couple who by their sheer attentiveness to each other were obviously on a first date.

I hammered the cue ball on my shot,it went off of the table like a rogue asteroid and hit the bloke right in the bollocks.

He took it very well when he became able to speak again.

I’m losing weight again, and having trouble with my beltline.

About 2 weeks ago, I took a rescue call at the local Baptist church, and in the process of loading the patient into the ambulance, I inadverantly mooned them.

I proudly contribute The Affair of the Exploding Breast.

For those expecting the salacious, I regret to say that this did not involve a torrid encounter with a Victoria’s Secret model whose air bra catastrophically ruptured, but rather an incident in the surgical pathology lab.

I was cutting in (dissecting) a mastectomy specimen removed for carcinoma. The patient had had a prior biopsy so there was a cavity in the middle of the specimen. What I did not realize as I sliced into it, is that there had been hemorrhage into the biopsy cavity and a considerable amount of blood under pressure had accumulated. As I made the crucial cut, a geyser of blood shot out, drenching the counter, walls, floor and me (fortunately, mostly on my arm). The poor laboratory assistant looked up from her desk to see a yelling, knife-wielding pathologist and gouts of blood spewing everywhere (she thought at first I had severed one of my own body parts). It’s a good thing the early-shift lab assistant wasn’t there, as she is very easily startled and we would have had to pry her off the ceiling.

The embarassing part of this was what I yelled when the blood started flying. I am capable of florid and inventive cursing, even when not under stress - but at this moment what came out of my mouth was:

Jesus H. Christ on a crutch!!!.

While this relatively mild expletive was desirable from a work-safe standpoint, I can do better than that. :frowning:

My Organic Chemistry final exam was given in a large auditorium. Most people taking the exam did not complete it. One pre-med asshole not only finished, but did so in record time. He could have spent the remaining time checking his work, or left quietly. Instead, he gathered his stuff noisily, then bounded step-to-step from the rear of the auditorium to the front, getting everyones’ attention so we’d know he was done. On the last step he tripped and slid face first a few yards. The auditorium erupted in laughter.

I was so painfully, excruciatingly shy in Grade 2 that when my teacher came up to me–in front of everyone in the classroom–to give me a certificate of achievement, I burst into tears, whirled around, and stuffed myself into a nearby locker (cubby? that’s I think what we called them) before banging the door shut. In front of everyone in the classroom.

It was devastating and, of course in retrospect, absolutely hilarious. :slight_smile:

Not me, but on my trip to Cuba there was a very drunk, topless girl, maybe about 18 or so, on the beach. She went to get some (more) drinks for her and her friends from the bar, and started to meander back in the general direction of their beach chairs. Holding 6 cups at a time proved a challenge, and the majority of the rum&cokes ended up on her arms and stomach, but when she came across the tree which grew sort of horizontally for a bit… well, that proved to be too much! You should have seen her face, standing there, looking at this tree trunk baring her way, and completely unable to figure out what to do about it! After about a minute, some kind soul showed her how she could walk around it. I’m amazed the laughter from everyone else on the beach didn’t completely destroy her!

Travel back in time with me to the summer of 1993.

I was just wrapping up a three year stint as the head of the Armed Forces Radio and Television station at Sigonella, Sicily. My wife, now ex, and myself had been packing for weeks, excited about my tour of duty in Philadelphia, Pa., as a recruiting district public affairs officer and bringing my newborn son home. We’d shipped most of our household goods already. The furniture was gone, car shipped, most of our clothes.

Since we were leaving in two days, we were making the final sweep around the apartment at about 10 p.m. We had to vacate the premises by 8 a.m. and would spend our last night in a hotel. The ex passed by the bathroom and told me to take down the shower curtain and pack it.

We had nothing to stand on, so I hiked myself up on the toilet seat and proceeded to unhook the curtain from the rings.

A moment of digression, if you’ll indulge me. Italian toilets are not like American toilets. The bowls are narrower, their rims are higher off the floor. While many toilet seats in America are made of laminated wood or sturdy plastic, the seats and lids of Italian toilets are made of flimsy, semi-rigid plastic.

As I stood on the seat, leaning over, I felt the seat cover buckle. It went from convex to concave but still supported my weight. The next part of the story comes from the ex’s observations, ‘cause I don’t remember this part.

She was in the kitchen feeding Skirmie when she heard a crack, yell and thud. She set down my son, ran into the bathroom and began screaming. Alerting our downstairs neighbors, who happened to be Navy corpsmen.

The lid had snapped in two lengthwise. I dropped straight down and my foot crunched through the bottom of the toilet all the way to the sub-floor. The bowl cracked and all the water had run out, now tinged red from my blood. I laid on my side, unconscious as blood spouted from a wound in my foot up out of the bowl onto the back wall (The next day I hobbled into the bathroom and the blood was easily 4 ft. up the wall!). My knee was twisted at an impossible angle as my foot was impaled on the jagged porcelain at the bottom of the bowl.

My downstairs neighbor had run up. He helped my ex pull me out of the shitter, apply direct pressure and got me down the stairs to our car. His wife remained with my son.

We had a Seat Cinque-cento, a very small car with a 500 cc engine. We’d sent our American car home already! They got me in the back seat, my wife drove and Jason attended to me. I remember a little of the 40 minute drive to the hospital.

Once at the hospital they asked my wife what happened.

“He fell in the toilet!” They about busted their ribs laughing.

Anyway, to make a long story short (too late), they sewed up a nick in an artery, installed a drain, shot me up with all kinds of drugs to prevent sepsis, and sewed me up – laughing the entire time! My plight eventually was written up and used as an example for bathroom safety in a Navy-wide newsletter.

They held on to me until about 1000. My wife had to leave, cause our land lord was to inspect our apartment at 0800. He about fainted when he saw the bathroom. He told my wife we’d have to clean the entire bathroom and replace the toilet before he would sign our paperwork! No paperwork, no flight home!

So I get discharged. We try to check into a hotel. I’m confined to a wheel chair and the first thee hotels won’t accept me. They don’t want to deal with the liability. I finally make an imposition to another friend and we move in for the evening.

I say, fuck the wheelchair, and start to hobble about. I still had to get up to the apartment to get the paperwork signed. By now my foot is numb from all the pain from trying to hobble around. I borrow a set of crutches. I get there, throw a shit load of money at the landlord and he reluctantly signs the paperwork. He seems really nervous. Finally he says, “Senore, you are leaking.”

Apparently he didn’t have in his vocabulary the word for bleeding, ‘cause I had busted my stitches, and was leaving bright red footprints all over the apartment. Another trip to the hospital.

“Why were you up and about?”
“I had to get my toilet fixed before I could leave this blasted island.”
“Are you the guy who took forty stitches after he fell into his toilet?”
“Yeah.”
“Wow. They already have the interview sheet the admitting nurse filled out with your wife posted in the lounge. It’s a riot!”

Thank God they don’t issue sidearms in the Navy.

Well, we spend the night. I get wheeled down to the airport. We present our paperwork preparing to board the 18 hour flight.

“I’m sorry sir. You can’t board without note from your doctor saying it’s alright.”

“Don’t move,” I tell the ex. I see another friend of mine in the terminal, tell him I need to borrow his car. He throws me the keys. I get out of the wheelchair, grimacing all the way, walk outside, get into the car and realize it’s a standard! I can’t fucking drive it.

I grab my buddy. He drives me to the hospital like a madman – I’m gonna make this plane!!

We get to the hospital. Get the doctor. Get him to call the gate. Hobble back out to the car. Dash back to the airport. I drop into a wheel chair and he rolls me to the gate. My ex and son are already aboard.

I show my ticket to the stewardess (a civilian contracted plane).

The doctor had apparently called to clear things up because I was greeted with an enthusiastic: “Are you the gentleman who fell into his toilet the day before yesterday? We thought that was a joke!”

“Fuck you very much.”

So get on the plane we take off. 18 hours of cabin compression. I had to sit in the aisle with my foot elevated ‘cause the entire flight was booked.

We land at Philly. I get to be the first person of the plane. They radioed ahead for a skycap to meet us with a wheel chair.

I hobble off.

“Are you the guy who fell in the toilet? That cracked me up!” says the sky cap. Grumbling I look at his nametag for a name to curse: Steve Wentzel.

I say, “My sister is marrying a guy named Bob Wentzel in three weeks!"

“You’re Sandy’s brother? Wait till I tell Bob what happened to you!”

Being wheeled through the airport. Cab ride to Moms. Hobble up to the front door. Ring the bell. Dad opens it.

“Please don’t break my toilets.”

Needless to say, my family has never, and will never, let me live down those two seconds of stupidity.

p.s. The damn shower curtains were too stained with blood to save. We ended up throwing them away.

Note: I originally posted this around the turn of the century.

ChiefScott, you are now labelled in my brain as “that guy who fell into the toilet”. :slight_smile: Great story!

And, we have a winner!

It was the end of the school year and as a senior, I was doing what ever I could to escape going to classes I had already passed and/or taken my final exams in. I wound up helping clean up the theatre’s backstage area. I was tasked with taking a paper-mache tree stump from the spring musical to the dumpsters around the back of the building. Being a football player and a lineman to boot I figured I could lower my shoulder and simply push the tree stump to the dumpster as it was on wheels to make the scene changes easier.

Apparently, who ever made that monstrosity must have taken an actual tree stump, dipped it in molten lead and simply wrapped it in paper-mache to make it appear realistic. :rolleyes: I managed to push the damned thing around the first corner of the building before my calves and back were burning with the exertion. Being a thinking man, I noodled that pulling the stump would be easier than pushing the stump. I went back to the theatre and found a length of rope. I tied one end around the stump and the other around my waist. As I leaned into the pull, the stump begrudgingly followed. Victory shall be mine!

So here I am pulling a tree stump along by a rope tied to my waist, leaning into the pull to use all my considerable strength, slowly but surely approaching the cafeteria and just beyond that, the final corner and my goal; the dumpsters. It is about then that I realize that every window in the cafeteria has faces peering out. I look to my left to see what everyone is looking at. Seeing nothing but the empty bus lot, I come to the horrific realization that I am the spectacle that has caught the attention of the entire cafeteria. At this point, I am sweating, red faced both from exhaustion and from embarrassment, and yet there is nothing else for me to do but continue in my Sisyphean task.

I did manage to pull the damn thing all the way to the dumpsters even as the freshman bastards opened the cafeteria windows to taunt me, called their dumb little friends over to laugh at the poor bastard pulling junk around the school, and pined for the day that they too would hit puberty. And that, teeming millions, is why a couple of my closest friends who know the story to this day call me Husky.

Well, I’ve embarrassed myself so many times its hard to pick the most embarrassing thing…but without thinking 2 come to mind…

My grandmother caught me playing air guitar on my bed when I was sixteen, wearing nothing but tighties whities and singing “Heat of the Moment” from Asia. Apparently she was watching me for a good minute before i noticed. Gawd, I was so embarrassed. She just walked away muttering “That boy ain’t right in the head…” but when she told my mother and sister they laughed at me for days.

The 2nd time actually came before that, but it was at least for me, more embarrassing. I was a clumsly, awkward, skinny kid. Everyone always made fun of me and I had really low self esteem. (low enough that I bought a T-shirt for myself that said “worlds biggest loser”. I was convinced that I was at the age of 13.)

Anyway, it was around Martin Luther King’s birthday, and they were showing a movie about MLK at the church. I got there a bit late and the movie had just started (this was 1977, so it was a reel to reel projector, for the kids out there) I tripped over the power cord, fell, knocked the projector over and everything. Everyone laughed at me and made the obligatory clumsy/useless guy jokes…and then someone called me “Captain Disaster”. That name stuck to me for years. :frowning:

I was a pretty miserable kid.