What common household items are you better off replacing than maintaining?

There was a thread like this a year or two ago and it really opened my eyes.

I’m not a big fan of patriotic displays, but I do put out an American flag on the 4th of July and Memorial Day, and last night I was trying to find my flag. I’ve had it for 20 years and it is faded and gets very dusty being in storage all but two days a year. I was thinking of cleaning it for tomorrow, but then I thought that I could get a new one at any store for a few bucks - all brand new and shiny.

I had two baking sheets for over a decade that had long since lost any concept of non-stickyness, and I had to scrub and scrub them to get off the baked on gunk every time they were used. One day in the store I realized I could replace them both for less than ten bucks.

What do you stubbornly hold on to that you could easily replace for pocket change?

I bought about two inches of fine chain at Sears and threaded my keys onto it, and got a little split ring to join the ends to gether. I have used it daily since and keep fiddling with it in my pocket, and several of the links are bent so it’s a bit lumpy now. Next year it will be 40 years old.

The end of my egg whisk busted off last year and the spring holding all the little wires bundled together went flying across the kitchen. Rather than replace something I’ve had since the mid seventies, I soldered some copper wire around the damaged end.

I thought of another thing - sponges cost about $0.50 apiece, but I can’t get myself to throw old ones away.

Depending upon your income – spouses. :stuck_out_tongue:

Any household appliance you can obtain for less than $30, IMO should be trashed and replaced when it breaks. This includes can openers, toasters, blenders, coffee makers and the like.

Lamps can be re-wired, but lamp bases are cheap. If it’s an expensive lamp, or one with sentimental value, then by all means get it fixed, but there is no point in fixing a $10 lamp. Get a new one.

Digital alarm clocks get tossed when they break too, as well as cheap analog clocks. If a watch cost less than the battery replacement, I’ll just toss it out. A watch that cheap will probably be damaged by the process of battery replacement anyway. I don’t really buy cheap watches anymore though, so it’s not an issue.

I’ve found that cell phones can be cheaper to upgrade with a new phone than to replace the battery when it won’t hold a charge anymore.

It’s a little disheartening now that I think about it, how much of what we buy is so easily disposable.