What could the Professor create?

Keeves makes the intelligent assumption:

Ahehe. Finally somebody askes. It’s…with some role-playing game on AOL I play with my friend Skippy. I’m essentially being myself, just related to…Snake. So yapyup.

Snappy, The Crazy Toddite - Friend of Skippy

Keeves
Member posted 09-29-1999 03:49 PM

Do you mean what materials would the record be made of? Because I don't see what on the island would be worth recording.

Maybe that’s where the idea for all these nature recordings came from. :slight_smile:

Weren’t the records some of the things saved on the Minnow?

I can’t figure out how he managed to keep the radio going after it got damaged so often - and they had no power or spare batteries.

“So what you are telling me, Percy, is that something you have never seen is slightly less blue than something else that you have never seen.”

David B did declare:

I’m thinkin’ that if he could make a pedal-car, he could have also fixed the damned boat!

Russell Johnson, the actor who portrayed Roy Hinkley, PhD. (AKA “The Professor”) has expessed annoyance about the people who endlessly, and unfairly, harp on the fact that in spite of Professor Hinkley’s millions of brilliant successes, he ultimately was unable to fix the boat, like it was his job to do absolutely everything on that island!

In any event, in episode 8 Professor Hinkley made a valiant attempt to repair the Minnow, utilizing a glue made from tree sap. Unfortunately, the glue eventually failed, and the boat fell apart. (I suppose you could have done better?)

And don’t foget that in the later TV movie, the castaways of course do escape from the island, back to the mainland. And whose idea was it to convert the huts to rafts, and who oversaw the construction, and coordinated the group’s actions, so that when the tidal wave struck the island they were carried to safety? Professor Hinkley, of course!

Of course, if Cecil was aboard the series would have ended after one show, with everyone safe and sound. So be sure to invite Unca Cece along for all your vacations.

The Skipper was gluttony.
Lovey was envy.
Anger–?

We have met the enemy, and He is Us.–Walt Kelly

As far as why they couldn’t get off the island with a raft, it was established in the series that the wind and ocean currents flowed from Hawaii to the island. I cite the following episodes:
-First attempt by the Skipper and Gilligan to leave the island on a raft. They get washed back up on the island. (In fact, it seemed like anything[ dumped in the ocean off Hawaii ended up on the island.
-Gilligan finds stone tablet carved with runes that seem to give directions for how to reach Hawaii. The Professor eventually figures out that the tablet is saying how to go from Hawaii to the island.
-Gilligan and the Skipper start building another raft, with the Skipper saying that the Professor says the ocean currents have temporarily shifted. (I can’t remember if that was the second appearance of the Mad Scientist, or the time a magnetic mine washed up in the lagoon.)

That said, I can’t remember why they thought they could get off the island the time they found an intact inflatable raft (which sunk because no one could resist taking some of the gold that had been discovered on the island.)

I have no thought to add to this board, but I couldn’t let Uke’s offspring slide off the bottom of the board into oblivion. :wink:

Thanks loads, Poly.

If this thread is my offspring, it’s the somewhat demented one I keep locked in the attic.

GuaonoLad said:

I remember the episode where the batteries did go dead. The castaways had to recharge them by stirring coconut milk in the shells.