What countries would arrest Radovan Karadzic / Henry Kissinger?

Any international law expert dopers that can clear this up?

Recently there have been a number of successful prosecutions of war criminals.
Former Bosnian Serb President Biljana Plavsic

Dragoljub Kunarac, Radomir Kovac and Zoran Vukovic

Inspired by a comment from MC Master of Ceremonies a while ago, I have been trying to find out more about the likelihood of arrest and trial of Henry Kissinger as a war criminal.

I have not been able to find out what in which countries he could be arrested. I suppose he wouldnt last long in the Netherlands or Belgium, but what about the UK, Canada or Australia?

And what countries would Radovan Karadzic and Ratko Mladic likely be arrested in? Are there any countries they would be safe in, even if their whereabouts was known?

Once the war criminal is indicted does that make arrest across the world borders more likely?

I vaguely recall a SD column about this, but failed to find anything in a search.

Funny, I thought you had to be indicted before your arrest (in regards to Kissinger). Has a warrant been successfully issued anywhere?

A relevant addition: Peter Tatchell of the UK has made a number of unsuccessful attempts to arrest Robert Mugabe, with no help (and usually obstruction) from the countries under whose laws Mugabe should be arrestable for suspected crimes.

Well that is the question. What is the process for being convicted?

And what is the legal position of Robert Mugabi, Ariel Sharon and Saddam Hussein on the international scene? Is there some UN list of most wanted war criminals?

I have googled and not uncovered anything useful.

Spain and France both want to question Kissinger in connection with the murder of their citizens.

Guardian story

“Arrest” and “question” are not synonyms, but it’s reasonable to assume he won’t be visiting these countries soon. Note both those countries are pursuing simple criminal investigations, unconnected with war crimes or the International Criminal Court. On a related point,whatever Kissinger may or may not be guilty of, the ICC won’t be acting, it’s jurisdiction is not retrospective.

The case of Sharon is fairly simple, a Belgian court considered a case against him for his involvement in the Sabra and Chatilla massacres. It decided that he currently enjoys immunity as a head of state but that immunity ends when he leaves office. It would be a precedent setting case, but I suspect the growing legal harmonisation between the between the EU member states means that when he leaves office, if he sets foot in any EU member state they’ll seize and extradite him at Belgian behest.

It’s dubious that Kissinger will be charged with war crimes. After all, Pik Botha of South Africa’s activities in Angola, Nambia, Mozambique, and his hom countries are by far worst then any activities of Kissinger’s, and he not only hasn’t been charged with anything, but the first after-apartheid South African government kept him in the Cabinet.

Hussein, if captured, would probably be tried for his activities against the Kurds in the 1980’s.

Thanks for the replies, people.

It would be useful if there was an international, objective (UN based - not some of the crap I have seen whilst googling) ‘most wanted list’, with the names, crimes and status (eg wanted for questioning, indicted, etc) of war criminals.

http://www.trialofhenrykissinger.org/:

"With the detention of Augusto Pinochet, and intense international pressure for the arrest of Slobodan Milosevic, the possibility of international law acting against tyrants around the world is emerging as a reality. Yet, as Christopher Hitchens demonstrates in this compact, incendiary book, the West need not look far to find suitable candidates for the dock. The United States is home to an individual whose record of war crimes bears comparison with the worst dictators of recent history. Please stand, ex-Secretary of State and National Security Advisor, Henry A. Kissinger.

Weighing the evidence with judicial care, and developing his case with scrupulous parsing of the written record, Hitchens takes the floor as prosecuting counsel. He investigates, in turn, Kissinger’s involvement in the war in Indochina, mass murder in Bangladesh, planned assassinations in Santiago, Nicosia and Washington DC, and genocide in East Timor. Drawing on first-hand testimony, previously unpublished documentation, and broad sweeps through material released under the Freedom of Information Act, he mounts a devastating indictment of a man whose ambition and ruthlessness have directly resulted in both individual murders and widespread, indiscriminate slaughter."

I would hope that Canadian Customs & Immigration would arrest him if he tried to enter the country, but it probably wouldn’t happen considering Chretien and Kissinger have had dinner together in the past.