What did the chiropractor just do to me??

This is likely true - but there remains a risk of serious injury when forceful manipulation exacerbates pre-existing spinal conditions (there are also horror stories relating to older men with back pain who are manipulated by chirps before it’s discovered that their back pain is caused by prostatic carcinoma which has metastasized to bone.

Following up on the earlier statement about the uselessness of neck cracking :

“It’s been said before, but I’ll say it again: any degree of risk is unacceptable when there is no benefit. A Cochrane systematic review has shown that HVLA (high velocity, low amplitude) manipulations are no more effective for neck pain than gentle mobilization and that neither is effective unless used in conjunction with an exercise program. And there is even less evidence for benefit in non-neck-related conditions. NUCCA practitioners and other chiropractors who manipulate necks for almost any complaint are clearly out of line.”

He had no prior trauma, and looking back, couldn’t recall anything else in his past history that might have brought this on later. I agree with you, it is possible he may have already had something, and the chiropractor’s procedure only exacerbated it.

Well Rachellellogram, when you say “It feels so good now”, I think that answers your question. How did you find this chiropractor? Was she recommended to you? There are good ones and bad ones. A good one may be rare, I don’t know. I have known a few. There are some things they are good at.
With regard to the neck cracking, they seem to want to surprise you with it. It you are anticipating it, you will tense up and it won’t be effective.
So, hopefully the pain is gone, and no more Ibuprofen. Get out the saxophone and celebrate.

Chirobase, is often cited by dopers. From one of their links: Neck Manipulation and Strokes, there is plenty of evidence that chiropractors are under reporting. Also, the largest malpractice insurers won’t release how many cases they know about. Estimates from strokes caused by neck manipulations are all over the place, some claiming one in millions. One Canadian stroke consortium believed their data showed 20% of strokes are due to neck manipulation, and that there is “gross underreporting of chiropractic manipulation as a cause of stroke.”

Sorry, I meant to say manipulated by chimps. :slight_smile:

I don’t disagree. Chiropractors are not medical doctors, are not qualified to diagnose diseases or dysfunctions not relating to spinal misalignment, and have a paltry amount of strong clinical evidence for many claims. I would certainly avoid the neck-twisting ‘adjustments’ as the same effect can be had by more gently manipulating the back and performing stretching exercises, and in general, the problems that are treated by chiropractic manipulations are more throughly (and cheaply) addressed by proper exercise and fitness. Chiropractic treatment should be considered a stop-gap to allow relief so that the underlying problems can be addressed, and if applied correctly is probably more effective than the standard medical practice of masking pain via pharmaceutical treatment.

Stranger