What did the SDMB make you do?

The Dope (specifically Derleth) inspired me to enter and win the Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest. I was world famous for a week or so.

This thread is why.

Sadly, none of my rings would fit. I have very large fingers.

I’ve never taken off my wedding ring since the Big Day. Tempted . . .

no. can’t. But the engagement ring . . . doesn’t fit. Hay fever, must be swollen. May try tomorrow when Claritin Clear.

I discovered the shovelglove workout b/c of the dope and I love it.

Yeah. Me, too.

Well, as I mentioned in that thread I found out that a Sacajawea dollar will fit up my nose, but not a Canadian two-dollar coin.

I’ve picked up a number of books and added a bunch of movies to my Netflix queue based on comments (not necessarily recommendations) made here.

I’m sure that are other things, but I can’t think of them offhand.

I remember looking at that - maybe I’ll do it on my non-running days, so I can curse you guys every day instead of just three out of seven.

Another bacon salt convert.

Let’s see. . . Firefly, bacon salt in everyone’s Christmas stockings (very little feedback on that), at least half a dozen webcomics (like I need more of those to follow), some online games, and I don’t know how many books. Seriously, if the Dope could get a fee for Amazon click-through purchases, I bet they’d be able to upgrade the hampsters to guinea pigs. I’m a sucker for SDMB recommended books.

I’d like to second this (for myself, not for Chefguy). When I first discovered this place I was all set to dazzle all with my brilliant insights on politics and religion in GD. Fortunately I read much more than I wrote, and when I did venture to compose something, I read it through several times until I realized that I didn’t really have a well-reasoned argument.

This means a lot to me. It has made me think things through better, and although this process has generally ended up confirming me in what I already believed, I am much more solidly grounded than I was before. I so much appreciate all the excellent thinkers and writers on this board. Cheers, all.
Roddy

I started watching Fringe, The Apprentice, and Bones.

Quit smoking. Someone linked to the SilkQuit meter and it all went from there. I still have the meter running:
Seven years, six months, one week, one day, 13 hours, 31 minutes and 25 seconds. 41243 cigarettes not smoked, saving $12,373.22. Life saved: 20 weeks, 3 days, 4 hours, 55 minutes.

Also, I started reading Pratchett because of the SDMB. I think those two things more than justified the price of subscribing over the last couple of years.

Buy Bacon Salt out of curiosity. Goes nice on eggs, but I wouldn’t do lines of Bacon Salt. :smiley:

Add several books to my Amazon wishlist. I agree that the Dope would probably get a killing from the click-thru kickback.

I think someone mentioned poach pods. I now own a couple, and have managed not to poison myself with undercooked eggs. :smiley:

Learn a ton about the world as seen from perspectives different from my own. Always a bonus.

Started reading Cyril Kornbluth.

Actually, considering statement one and two, I am truly surprised statement three ever even happened.

I’m not sure if I should be insulted or feel pity for you. A man in a kilt is a man and a half. And it grows back.

You will always be the Best of the Worst to us!

BOT

The Dope has made me THINK.

My life would be less amusing if I weren’t a Doper. No, I don’t have a CITE. You bastids.

I used a link on here to do something similar. I had no unclaimed money, nor did any immediate family members, but I found a cache of unclaimed insurance money for a friend. When I found that, he was driving over to my place so we could go out dancing, so I just ushered him into my library and made him file his claim with the state. He bought drinks when we went out.

Other stuff:

Bought Enchanted on DVD (from the good reviews). Not a bad flick, and Amy Adams is awfully easy on the eyes.

Temporarily joined OKCupid (quit when some IRL acquaintances discovered my profile).

Lose plenty of hours to various online games-- several locked-room-escape adventure/mystery games, Ragdoll Cannon, that “build machines to get the block into the goal area” game.

Bought some nice suits. Y’know those really divisive threads-- the gall of these people to dress asual for a funeral/wedding/social event!-- that get people riled? Well, I fell on the side of “I want to show as much deference/courtesy as I can” and realized my wardrobe was bereft of some good suits. So I got some. I have a nice one due back today from getting altered…

Seriously. A kilt is a babe magnet. Mrs. Piper won’t let me go out to events in my kilt without her at my side. Women are intrigued by a man with the self-confidence to wear a kilt.

Needed a new dishwasher in the course of kitchen remodeling. Due to the remodeling my old one didn’t fit anymore. I started a thread about what to do about a dishwasher that would fit into a space too short for most standard dishwashers. I had never heard of Miele (except their vacuum cleaners) until a Doper recommended one. After more research that’s what we bought. It was a pretty penny but we are delighted with it.