What did you think of your parent's music?

Mine went for the Easy Listening station. I always liked the instrumentals such as “Music Box Dancer”.

They didn’t really have any.
Top 40 pop would be on the car radio, we never had music in the house. Well, not until I hit my teens, then they listened to whatever I had cranked up.
My mother was pretty cool about whatever I was listening to, my father… not so much.

Neither one of them were/are the type to have a radio or tv on just for background noise. If they weren’t watching or listening it was turned off.

I still enjoy a lot of the Doo Wop my father introduced me to. The Marcel’s Blue Moon (out in '61 towards the end of Doo Wop) is still one of my favorite songs.

Not really a fan of Mom’s softer singer-songwriter stuff, but I’ve learned to appreciate Neil Diamond more.

My parents listened to classical and big band.

My car radio is normally set to the local classical station, and I have no problem with big band.

My parents were born in 1950 and 1951 so their favorite music is some early rock (more dad than mom) and classic rock (more mom than dad). We grew up listening to it, they turned me on to some great stuff, and it’s all groovy man.

I loved music from the 50s and 60s, and spent a large part of my middle school years exploring it in depth. I also loved a lot of the modern music at the time (80s), and still do.

My parents listened to a lot of very different kinds of music, some of which I’m still very fond of.

All four of my grandparents were born in Ireland, so there were a lot of Irish folk records in my house as I was growing up. I stilll love the Dubliners and the Clancy Brothers.

My father was an opera enthusiast and a classical music lover, so I heard a lot of that msuic in my childhood. I never learned to love opera as he did, but I still listen to a lot of classical music.

Both my parents listened to a lot of music from the early Sixties Greenwich Village folk scene- I Heard a lot of Pete Seeger, Peter Paul & Mary, Buffy Saint Marie, et al. I still like some of it, but I never really embraced most of it.

We had a lot of Broadway soundtrack albums around, so I’ve known and loved WAY too many show tunes from an early age. I still love most of those albums.

Oh, I love the music - my Dad and Mom liked a lot of the stuff Folkways was doing - folk, jazz, Klezmer Big Band is odd but interesting, I love big band, swing, the really old country stuff [I have Smith’s Anthology of American Folk Music which is the absolute base for folk, country, rock, jazz - pretty much any music made from blending slave music and white music. I also used to soak up my Dad’s seat for the Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra’s regular concert [my parents had a pair of reserved seats for years, and Dad used to do a fair amount of traveling for business and be gone during the week.]

I think about the only thing I didn’t like was Lawrence Welk,

I loved my parents’ music. They listened mostly to Indian and Arabic music. I still love it, which made me very mad when they mocked mine and told me all I listened to was new-fangled crap - literally lying to make their little points.

I still listen to ghazals and haunting Indian melodies.

ETA: I’m actually listening to boliyan right now, which is pretty traditional Punjabi stuff.

My mom loves bluegrass and gospel. My dad liked Bob Dylan, Simon and Garfunkel, the Eagles.

I always liked my parents’ music, but sometimes the gospel was a bit much for me.

My parents loved show tunes and classical. I loved show tunes growing up and only got into rock music later.

I wasn’t big on classical as a kid, though I did go to concerts (my grandfather was big in bringing classical musicians to perform in our small town). I started appreciating it more in my 20s and 30s, and like it more as I get older.

My dad’s a dick, but he has good taste in music. I still like the classic rock bands we listened to in the car when I was young. Journey, Chicago, Styx, AC/DC, the Eagles, Queen, etc.

My mom forced us to listen to country all the time, would never play anything else. I hate the whole genre now with only 2 exceptions: Garth Brooks and Dwight Yoakam. I think that’s mostly a cultural thing though, because I was embarrassed by my redneck roots. She (and most of the rest of my family) embraced them.

My father listened/listens to Swing and Frank Sinatra style music mainly. I like a lot of the Swing he likes. Not Swing but his recording of Rhapsody in Blue & American in Paris had me by the CD version as one of my 1st 30 CD. (I think I have about 400 in all but have only bought about 10 in the last 13 years.)

As a kid I wasn’t a fan of Sinatra, Bennett or Dean but I appreciate them now and really like a lot of Sinatra.

My parents also had a few Broadway cast albums. I think the results are mixed here. West Side Story & Fiddler on the Roof are pretty great but South Pacific and several forgettable ones not so much. They also had Sound of Music I think. Not a fan.

They had some various Greek & Italian music that I recall enjoying as a kid. They also a mix of popular Super Market grade Classical collection; I liked some of it as a kid and I didn’t hate any of it.

I guess overall I liked my parents’ music but loved the music of my older siblings. I loved Classic Rock as a kid (and now). As a younger adult my love of groups like Zeppelin led to a love of the Blues. I picked up folk music also. But my music buying days are largely done.

My daughter led me through some modern artist to figure out what I did like. It wasn’t a lot but we found some stuff. It tends to be artists that sing and don’t rely on electronics. Folk/Celtic Pop sounds.

My dad and uncle were in a do wop group. I used to beg them to sing when I was little. And when I was big. Love it.

Same here. Except it wasn’t classic rock when my dad listened to it. :slight_smile: (Or my younger self for that matter.)

One of my dad’s favorites :slight_smile:

Other than that dad was (is) into mostly acoustic guitar so we had a lot of that growing up.

Mum - John Denver and Anne Murray :frowning:

We didn’t listen to a lot of music (my parents had albums and later CDs of the things they liked, including the groups of their youth like the Beatles and the Who) that much. Mom kept it on the classical station while driving when I was young and the radio wound up on NPR a lot when driving. So I would hear a lot of things like All Things Considered if Dad was driving me somewhere in the evening or shows like Schickele Mix or Thistle and Shamrock or Car Talk on the weekends. And on road trips there was my father’s rather impressive collection of taped episodes of Prairie Home Companion among other things.

These days I generally like what they listen to now when I’ve been home though I probably have more in common with Dad than with Mom.

If I never hear the Ray Conniff Singers again, it will be too soon.

Mine either. But my grandparents had 78’s in albums and they’d let me play them. Frankie Laine and Guy Mitchell are the ones I remember liking the most. Also the Little Orly stories.

My kids grew up listening to country and liking a lot of it – especially Hank Williams and Johnny Cash. And they’re not ashamed to admit it. Hell, nobody’s ashamed to like those two.

I still love “their” music. When Dad came back from WWII he and some other local fellows and a dynamite woman piano player started a band to supplement their income. They played mostly dance tunes - foxtrot, two-step and waltz.

Because my folks didn’t have the money for a babysitter they’d take me along on practice nights. They practiced in the local jail since nobody was ever in it. I played and fell asleep in the cells and all that thirties, forties and fifties music was finding a place of appreciation stored away in my little head.

My dad played drums in the band and also played the piano and the organ at church. Never a day went by but that he didn’t sit down at the piano after he’d cleaned up for dinner.

As I got older I learned how to play and joined him for many duets over the years. We’d make our own arrangements as we went along.

Mother wasn’t very musical but was a good dancer. But Dad always had the radio on so I was exposed to a lot of popular music that way, too

I like nearly all music. Jazz, swing, classical, pop, gospel, old-time, folk. Many of those old more mundane hit parade tunes still have that connection with my dad so they are reminiscent of good memories.