What did you think of your parent's music?

To answer the OP, I guess my mom’s music was what was on “oldies” stations at the time, i.e. the tail end of doo wop, old rock n roll, motown, and early Beatles.

I still dislike the popular songs of that genre (even the early Beatles), due to severe overplay, but I’ve found that if there’s a station that plays a mix of old r+b and early rock n roll, it’s okay to listen to once in awhile as long as I hear fresh songs.

My dad always likes a bit of the new music: my dad and my brother (and also my much younger sister but that doesn’t count) have liked more modern pop than I have since the mid 90s. But when I was growing up, when he wasn’t listening to the hits of the day (late 70s - mid 80s,) he was listening to soft rock from the early 70s. A genre which I actually do like some of the hits from, and also appreciate a lot of new-to-me entries when I hear them.

My musical taste is pretty darn eclectic, and it definitely covers a lot of my parents’ (Simon with and without Garfunkel, Bowie, Springsteen, Fairport Convention) generation and some of my grandparents’ (Ella Fitzgerald, Peggy Lee, Frank Sinatra, Desi Arnaz).

Though TBH, while I appreciate the music of my grandparents’ generation, my grandparents themselves had horrible taste in music. Lots of Ray Conniff and Engelbert Humperdink.

“Rock me, Amadeus!” said the old Austro-Hungarian.

“Rock me, I’m a Danish” said White Lion.

My mother listened mostly to Stax and Motown and Creedence. Music of the gods, in other words, I still prefer it to almost anything new.

I lived with my mother. She liked Elvis, Johnny Cash, and for a while Waylon Jennings. Those were all OK.

I also went through her old albums, and found and listened to albums by Buffalo Springfield, The Band, Creedence Clearwater Revival and the soundtrack from the Broadway musical version of Hair. I don’t recall her ever listening to them, probably before I would have remembered.

She had maybe a foot of record albums, so there are others I don’t recall. Probably some Motown, as we lived in Detroit in the 60s and early 70s. ETA: I know we also had some Jackson 5, at least until we left them in the back of the car, and they got warped. Which reminds me, we had the Jackson 5 and the Stevie Wonder Christmas albums, both of which I’ve re-bought.