What do I have to do to get a job?!?!?!

Here’s the skinny. I lost my job six months ago due to budget cuts. Since then, I’ve had a couple of temp jobs here and there. However, I can’t seem to get anybody to hire me for a job with anything resembling a substantial salary. I also can’t seem to get hired for the lower-paying jobs either.

I’ve never been fired, never been arrested, have tons of great references. Any ideas where I can turn to make a living again?

As soon as you find out, please let me know.

I got laid off two years ago, got lucky and got on a program called the Trade Act where one of the options was to get paid for two years of training and extended unemployment benefits.

I went for a degree in a field that two years ago had lots of positions for someone with an Associate’s degree. I graduate last month to a market that wants Bachelor’s degrees. I also can’t find work outside my field either.

It’s just a crappy time to be unemployed.

Come and join us in the SD Job-Seekers’ Support Group thread. There is some good news to go along with the bad…occasionally…

What can I say? Life is truly hell when you’ve been unemployed for a long time. I speak from experience.

Around here, you need a bachelor’s degree to even be considered for jobs. I’ve seen multiple postings requiring a BA/BS for an office receptionist position.

So, where does a person go to get a degree in answering phones and making copies?

Duh, Liberal Arts school!

(niblet_head, BA grad in Latin American Studies, now an Executive Assistant)

Well, you need to be able to answer questions like:

“Why should I hire you?”

“What do I need you for?”

and

“How is hiring you going to make my job easier?”
The tone of these threads is often “I have X, Y, and Z but yet I can’t find a job.” Yeah, it sucks you aren’t working, but hiring managers aren’t sitting around thinking of ways to get you working again. What is it you actually DO and DO WELL? Are there companies who actually need those skills?

Also, I hope you are doing more than just applying to ads on Monster.com.