What Do Mohels Do With the Foreskins?

Oh, and if a disembodied foreskin really did become enlarged, who else do you think it might have belonged to?

JDT perhapse?

:smiley:

:confused:

Found this FAQ, which answers the OP as follows:

-DF

This board once had a poster with those initials. His idée fixe was about the abomination that is circumcision. He could work it into pretty much any thread on any topic. It was annoying, but somehow his antics were sometimes fun to watch.

-DF
[/QUOTE]

OK, so they’re supposed to bury it. In the back yard? In the Mohel’s back yard? In a consecrated burial place?

Apropos of Broomstick’s suggestion, if this thread isn’t on page 1 come Sunday morning, I’m going to bump it so one of our Jews can answer.

If it’s in the presence of a virgin, logically yes, since it’s an indication of desire, and if you feel desire, you’ve already sinned in your heart, etc…

He makes hisself a mighty fine stew, pilgrim.

:wink:

I think there was a thread on the Dope once where someone mentioned that his mother had his in a baby book.

Do they say a Kaddish for it?

I guess it would fit neatly over the top corner of a page or two.

This is really cool. You actually know what God would have done had he had certain wishes. I don’t know why we even bother the Great Master when we have the word of God right here. :smack:

From what I know of Jewish tradition, the mohel buries the foreskin any where he/she wants, as long as it is in the earth.

I have seen a tradition where the mohel gives the foreskin to the family, so they can bury it in their backyard, and then plant a sapling there. Theoretically, the branches from tree can be used for the posts of the chuppah, the wedding canopy years later. I have never hung around long enought to see if that actually happens.

Presumably this phrase means “disposal in the garbage,” rather than the typical sink-mounted grinder. Because visualizing a rabbi dumping a bowl of phallic calamari (or phallamari, if you will) into the kitchen drain to be rendered into gruel is just too weird even for this thread.

I misread the title and thought it was a questions about models and their foreskins. You really don’t want to know the answer I was composing. :stuck_out_tongue:

That was one of the scenes cut from Eraserhead, wasn’t it?

Do hospitals just put them in the biological waste disposal containers?

Ahem.

For those families not as observant, the Mohel has it at his discretion to do what the state department of Health that licenses him demands. It is disposed of along with any blood-tainted instruments and gauze, in a Biohazard-marked redbag.

It’s possible some of them wind up in the biohazard waste containers, but there is at least one company I’m aware of that uses foreskins to make a medical product. Organogenesis uses them to make Apligraf, a sort of artificial skin substitute/wound covering. There are probably other companies using foreskins for various things. The doctors/hospitals are supposed to obtain a signed consent form from the parents telling them the foreskin will be used for these purposes prior to selling it.