What do people DO on weekends?

Find an activity you like. Preferably one involving members of the target gender.

Hiking, biking, rollerblading, ski, outdoors clubs. Book discussions, volunteer activities (museums, libraries, boys/girls clubs, scouts, hospitals, soup kitchens), Socrates’s cafes. Religious groups. Dance - take lessons, you meet lots of opposite gender people (how my wife & I met). If your school has an alumni association, hook up with them and find out if there are activities in your area. If not, start one! Do anything, as long as it’s fun and you meet people.

Well there’s always working on the house. Or working on the house. Or the house.

Seriously, don’t know what I would do if I didn’t have my projects. It’s kind of depressing sometimes. This place should be a mansion by now.

I just painted the main room. Had to buy scaffolding to do it. Used a sprayer and about 7 gallons of paint.

I

am

dead, dog tired. Thank God I took today off.

Now all I have to do is change the oil in my car and tractor, go to the landfill, go to the bank ……

What I need is a 3 day coma.

Well there’s always working on the house. Or working on the house. Or the house.

Seriously, don’t know what I would do if I didn’t have my projects. It’s kind of depressing sometimes. This place should be a mansion by now.

I just painted the main room. Had to buy scaffolding to do it. Used a sprayer and about 7 gallons of paint.

I

am

dead, dog tired. Thank God I took today off.

Now all I have to do is change the oil in my car and tractor, go to the landfill, go to the bank ……

What I need is a 3 day coma.

Laundry
Gardening
grocery shopping
On-line surfing and chatting
This weekend, we went to an art festival, but it was too hot to be wandering around outside for long - we only lasted a couple of hours.
Next weekend, we’ll take my MIL out for mother’s day dinner.
Weekend after that, we’ll be packing for vacation.
Mostly, our weekends are boring.

I live near you, so some thoughts I had …

Elmhurst has a biking club. If biking doesn’t interest you, there’s always the bulletin boards at the local library, which will tell you what sort of clubs and activities are available. Also, there’s a lot of farmer’s markets on Saturday and Sunday (the one in Wheaton is wonderful), and sometimes there are people there representing different causes that may be of interest to you. Downers Grove has a movie theater (the Tivoli maybe?)that only shows arty flicks. I haven’t been there yet, but I’ve heard good things.

In short, maybe you need to get a local paper. The Westmont … Times? Herald? Review? Every stupid suburb around here seems to have one. It’ll have a calendar of local events.

It’s hard moving to a new area and away from your friends, but finding out what’s happening in your area isn’t too hard. The Chicago burbs are bursting with activities of all kinds. Good luck!

Lessee, this weekend I :
Spent 6 hours RPGing

babysat a friend’s 8-month old (whiny bugger)
Paddled a dragon boat
Entertained some kids by taking my scooter to a charity car wash
Balanced my chequebook
Picked wifey up from airport
Got really good take-out (the kind where you wait half-an-hour and get tea because it’s quality stuff)
Watched the first 2 hours of Eco-Challenge (yeah, I’m behind, whatever)

Looked at apartments
Watched a couple hours of a legal seminar
Bought cards for Anniversaries and Mothers day and birthday.

Last weekend was even more packed-- I went to the Wine Festival on the Thursday and Friday, then did a whole bunch more.

My username should provide a clue… I spend a few weekends month taking the occasional flight. Though I must point out, it’s not a good way to meet women, at least available ones close to my age… :frowning:

But I have to second FriendRob here… find stuff you enjoy. If your activities do involve possibly socializing with the opposite gender, don’t go in with expectations of finding the love of your life, just meet people. It can take a while to build a new social structure after leaving school, so above all, be patient!

(patronizing mode off) :slight_smile:

Buy a guitar, take group lessons.
On non-lesson days, practice.

(If you get really good, maybe you’ll be a rock-god, and not need to worry about what to do on the weekends!)

This last weekend:

D&D on Saturday
paintball on Sunday

Next weekend:

D&D on Saturday
probably play with my Castlemolds on Sunday

I normally do:

D&D
paintball
Magic: the Gathering
painting miniatures
Castlemolds
reading
watching movies
clean house
computer games

OK, none of my hobbies are good for meeting women (except me, but I’m married).

Let’s see…

Usually I stay in and sleep a lot. A lot. Fridays I usually knock back some beer and order in food. At some point in the weekend, I get groceries. Occasionally I’ll go visit two friends of mine, a couple that I introduced a few years ago, who now live together in domestic gay bliss. We always get really stoned :eek: and I crash on their couch.

This past weekend, however, I was in a great mood, so I went to a local gay pub both nights and got lucky both nights. Yesterday I rolled out of bed late, did some Doping, picked up something to eat from the local diner, watched X-Files, then went to bed. Pretty boring stuff, although Friday and Saturday were fun. :wink:

• s.e.

From looking at this thread, you probably have guessed that, basically, no one’s weekend is really the social blowout that beer commercials and music videos would have you believe.

You probably do about as much socially as anyone else who is fairly new to the Chicago area. I’m pretty new to it as well, have few acquaintances here, and I’m not a bar person, either, so I have to be pretty inventive and proactive in getting out.

A good rule is, don’t be afraid to do things alone. Going to movies, to dinner, to a museum, to wherever by yourself can be fun. Just focus on enjoying what you’re doing and not on the fact that you’re alone, which is something I still struggle with, but trying is worth the effort. After all, how can other people enjoy your company if you can’t?