What do straight guys really think about guys who are gay?

I recently accepted that I am gay. It has been rough for a variety of reasons, including fear that straight guys will think I am a freak. I wonder what straight guys really think about gay guys. Do you wonder why the hell we aren’t attracted to women? Do you think we turned our wrong? Do you find us disgusting? If I promise you it won’t hurt my feelings, do you guys feel comfortable telling me what you really think of guys who are gay?

Just another person, to be judged by their actions. Same with trans ect.

Like I have said- I don’t care which restroom you use- just wash your hands!

Here on this board you will generally find us welcoming.

Unless you’re a trump supporter. :crazy_face:

Congratulations. It took me a long time to come to terms with my own sexuality.

I think you’ll find that “straight men” is not a monolithic group with uniform reactions. Some will react as you fear they might, others will have no particular reaction, still others will be just as curious about you as you are about them. It may help to remember some reasons why some straight men may react negatively: they may be the victim of groupthink among their friends; they may be insecure about their own masculinity or their own ability to attract sexual partners (confident men, it seems to me, would just be happy for one less competitor for available women). Some may just not know how to react. I think the more easygoing and open you can be, the more positive reaction you are likely to get. Good luck, I hope you never have any problems with straight men (or anyone else) about your sexuality.

I can only speak for myself (but I don’t think my views are uncommon). I don’t wonder why you’re not attracted to women. I don’t think you turned out wrong. I don’t think you’re disgusting. I currently know (and have known) so many gay men and women that I don’t give it a second thought anymore. Even when it was less common, I don’t think I ever felt in a way you would find offensive or dismissive. I think I’d have to go back to high school (1970s) to have heard the kind of comments you are asking about.

Yeah, this. I’m straight, grew up in the 70s and 80s, and have had my attitudes change over that time period. But you can’t really tell ahead of time how any one individual will react. Some will freak out, some will actively hate you, and some will be neutral or positive.

I know that doesn’t help much, but that’s just the way it is.

To the very limited degree that it matters to me at all, it’s just that it means that you won’t be competing with me for the attention of women. Not that that’s a big part of my interactions with straight men, either.

Will there be some straight men who are disgusted by you? Of course. But there are a lot fewer of them than there were a few decades ago, and anyway, the folks who would feel that way are the same folks whose opinions you shouldn’t care about at all.

To be bluntly honest, I believe the majority of reflexive thought of straight men towards gays will always be of some sort of in-built revulsion. That majority may diminish as time goes on but I don’t think it will fall below 50% or so. Sexual orientation is pretty hard-wired, and people who say “ewww” when they see two men kissing were probably not taught to think of it as gross, it was instinctive.

That’s not the same thing as their political views - plenty of straight men will vote to support LGBT rights. But that’s “tolerance” - tolerating something you may not personally or naturally like.

Where did you get those fabulous boots?

Yep.

I cannot speak for others, but for myself as a straight guy, I don’t care. It does not bother me at all to see guys kissing or holding hands. It’s just not something I really take note of. At all. If I am working with someone, or in a social situation, or doing some activity, I don’t care if I am talking with someone who’s gay - and I do not attempt to determine someone’s sexuality, either. I really don’t care. It must be exhausting for those that are always trying to assess what someone else may “be”.

I do vote, and I support equity and equality measures. Every American should enjoy the same legal protections and benefits and responsibilities as anyone else.

To be honest, yeah, I do. But I also wonder that about straight women, and so I shrug in both cases.

That maybe sounds like I’m joking, but I’m being entirely serious.

Dunno. As a straight woman I don’t have direct access to empirical evidence, of course, but ISTM that innate revulsion against gays on the part of straight men may be like innate arachnophobia or herpetophobia among humans in general. Namely, it may be some people have that reaction but others don’t.

Nonetheless, I would be very hesitant to declare that any widespread negative reaction to any marginalized and disprivileged group in any culture is “innate”. I mean, it might be, but cultural indoctrination is just so pervasive that I’m not sure it’s at all possible to separate out nature from nurture in that regard.

It’s a next-to-impossible thing about which to generalize.

It will depend a fair bit on the company you keep and the cultural norms, beliefs, and open/closed-mindedness in your area.

There are places where your sexual orientation will be celebrated.

There are places where your sexual orientation will be an absolute non-issue.

There are places where your sexual orientation will put you in actual physical risk.

I hope you are in, or can end up in, either the first or the second kind of place, if you aren’t already there.

Works both ways. On some level, I guess I don’t really understand why all men aren’t gay. (Not that I’m complaining mind you)

(Edit: More seriously, I think this may be a component of the so-called—um, is this a bad word? I think it probably is, sorry, don’t know how else to identify it—“fag hag” phenomenon. Gay men are often comfortable and refreshing to be around, not just on the basis of individual personality or nonthreateningness, but for a sense of being more “on the same wavelength”. I mean, it’s nice in many respects that straight men are sexually interested in women but on some level it’s just strange, y’know?)

Largely, I just don’t care. No idea about other people and what they think.

I disagree (though as a female, I’m not in the group to whom the OP’s question was directed). While I was never prone to the worst bigotry against gays and lesbians, back in the 1970s I did think of homosexuality as a bit weird and scandalous - at the least, gossip-worthy, even if I didn’t think less of gay people as human beings. The fact I had that kind of response was due to cultural conditioning.

Today I genuinely couldn’t care less about other people’s sexual orientation. As much as I’d like to personally take all the credit for this more progressive view, the fact that society as a whole as evolved is definitely a significant factor in making me more open-minded.

I’m convinced it’s absolutely the opposite – any revulsion comes from being taught that it’s wrong and disgusting, not any inborn revulsion. As a young man, I thought two men kissing was gross, as did my peers. Now it doesn’t bother me any more than watching, say, two strangers (man and woman) kissing. It’s just two adults being affectionate.

I don’t believe inborn sexual orientation is paired with revulsion at the idea of other pairings. I’m not attracted to, say, horses, but watching two horses being affectionate with each other isn’t at all repulsive to me. If you think two men kissing is gross, I’m 99% sure it’s because you were taught that it’s gross. If you’d been taught that it’s perfectly normal and okay, you’d believe it was perfectly normal and okay.

There are more gay men in my social circle than there are people of color. Once you know a few, it really doesn’t feel like there is anything novel about them, let alone repulsive. The major thing that distinguishes them is that, like me, they are usually childless, which means making any kind of social plans with them is a lot less complicated.

As a child I thought all kissing was gross regardless of the genders involved. This is super common for children.

The idea that we’re hardwired to be forever repulsed by homosexual displays of affection is patently ludicrous.

Cis female: I have that opposite thought, of why do men think women are so attractive? I mean, women who don’t present as sex toys, but as ordinary people, like men are (jeans, baggy shirt, no makeup). They don’t seem very special. Men – some men – are much sexier.

I think two men kissing are eww but I also think that of two women, or a man and a woman. Get a room, jeez.

Any time my wife makes me go house hunting, car shopping, or something of that nature even though we’re not in the market for a house or a car I do not wonder.

I can’t speak for all straight men, but I usually don’t think about gay guys. When I do, I’m fine with it. You guys are just living your lives and I’m happy you’re able to do that in way you weren’t not too long ago. I’ve had gay friends and coworkers and it hasn’t been a big concern of mine.