[QUOTE=Colibri]
Here in Panama, and elsewhere in the Spanish-speaking world, they sing a translated version of the English “Happy Birthday” song. The melody is exactly the same. At least here in Panama, it’s common to sing one verse each in English and Spanish.
[/QUOTE]
Which, yes, is the one I was singing. I see las mañanitas already got mentioned but I wasn’t familiar with the one Sapo wrote.
There’s another one which I’ve also used on The Dope. This one was written by the Aragón brothers, members of an illustrious line of clowns and circus performers; they had popular TV programs in (IIRC) Cuba, Argentina and Spain and would sing this to the birthday children in the audience:
Feliz, feliz en tu día,
amiguito, que Dios te bendiga,
que reine la paz en tu día
y que cumplas muchos más.
Merry, let your day be merry,
little friend, let God bless you,
let Peace rule your day
and let you see many returns.
