What do we know about the effects of marijuana legalization?

This joke went over my head: “Municipalities can impose their own levies, too, which is how Pueblo County ended up spending $420,000 (heh heh) on scholarships for 210 local students in 2017.”

4:20pm is supposed to be the optimal time for marijuana use. I don’t know the background though. 420 has since become a reference to marijuana in general.

ETA:Snopes

Ah, thanks! Of course Wiki has an article about it: 420 (cannabis culture) - Wikipedia

There are two distinct groups of people; those who know what 420 means, and those who do not.

I have a Rolex watch tattooed on my left wrist. It is the only watch I ever wear. The time is 4:20. Occasionally a stranger notices the time and laughs, pats me on the back, references 420. There is often someone who overhears this and asks what 420 means, or guesses, “Oh, like, almost 5:00 and time to quit work, huh?”

Well, we can throw away money by paying people to try to stop what can and never has been stopped, or we can legalize it and tax the crap out of it and make a ton of money instead. All you have to do is look at Prohibition and its effects to see that.

In a similar note, Atlanta’s Sweetwater Brewing Company’s most popular beer is called “420.”

(They also have a specialty beer called “602,” which is the street address of Manuel’s Tavern, an Atlanta landmark dive. https://www.manuelstavern.com/)

A lot of people giggle when they order 420. :smiley:

Note that business expenses are not deductable on our Federal taxes … thus we would pay based on gross income which is much higher … Oregon follows Federal rules in this matter so there’s even more tax revenue above and beyond the 17% state tax and 3% local tax on the sales of recreational marijuana … the bastards …

One thing I noticed right away is that police resources were then focused on meth abuse … and property crime associated with the meth trade has noticeably lessened …

I think that when the proper scientific studies are finished, we’ll find that marijuana isn’t quite as effective as medicine as we want to believe … I’ve heard the whispers in the back alleys and hospital hallways “I tried it but it didn’t work” … just can’t say that out loud in places where it’s legal …

Belated ETA: From the California Penal Code: Section 420. Every person who unlawfully prevents, hinders, or obstructs any person from peaceably entering upon or establishing a settlement or residence on any tract of public land of the United States within the State of California, subject to settlement or entry under any of the public land laws of the United States; or who unlawfully hinders, prevents, or obstructs free passage over or through the public lands of the United States within the State of California, for the purpose of entry, settlement, or residence, as aforesaid, is guilty of a misdemeanor.

Myth debunked …

Duuuude, that is so heavy.

It’s been a while since Bush AG John Ashcroft made an example of Tommy Chong, and imprisoned him for selling bongs and glass pipes, aka “drug paraphernalia”.

I don’t know if I can ask this without running afoul of the SD prohibition about discussing illegalities-- but in a nutshell, or bowl, is it still illegal to attempt to purchase marijuana-smoking implements?

My guess is that this is one of those situations where it gets really complicated in the “transitional” phase, with overlapping and contradictory local, state, and federal laws and enforcement.

Throw in the “borderless” option of Internet marketing. Yes, I’m wondering if it’s now"safe" to order these items online without either getting arrested, or automatically being put on some kind of cyber-watchlist.

I’d like to score a Cecil-caliber overview of where the US is on this burning question.

In my area of western Pennsylvania, the shop where I buy glassware is selling their products FOR USE WITH TOBACCO ONLY. I play along and phrase any questions with utmost care. I pay for my purchases with cash to assuage my mild paranoia and to allow them to declare income as they wish.

That said, I’ve bought a few quality pieces from them and usually smell like weed when I shop. I actually enjoy the elaborate dance, and they in turn will perform some elegant bows and curtsies.

ETA: Oh, and we should define “paraphernalia”. I was once stopped for failing to stop completely at a stop sign. I had hemostats and a syringe with needle on my dash. The cop tried to bully me on the “paraphernalia” but I also had fishing tackle with me and explained that the hemostats were for hook removal and the syringe was to inject air into night crawlers (true).

It’s been my belief ever since the states started legalizing it that the Feds have not pushed it because they have been advised that if it makes it to SCOTUS, there’s no way that they will prevail. Between the Schedule 1 designation (which never made sense) and states’ rights, it feels like a slam-dunk.

Meanwhile, there’s a strip plaza I know of in a state that has legalized neither medical nor recreational that has a hydroponics supply store next to a bong store. Subtle…

Places that sell marijuana in Oregon are prohibited from selling paraphernalia … but they are prohibited from selling anything except marijuana … it’s the same with our liquor stores, they can only sell liquor, mixers and cigarettes … nothing else …

Do you seriously believe this with a Republican majority on the court. They believe in state’s rights only when they agree with the states. I have raised this point before. I see nothing in the constitution that allows the Feds to stop the sale and usage of a substance grown and consumed entirely inside a state and that never enters into interstate commerce. But the court will find a way, mark my words.

I’m in California and I’m really interested in knowing what the state is hauling in. I have always been of the, legalize it and we will happily pay the tax, mentality. I’ve had my medical certificate for years. In January, when the recreational dispensaries were authorized to star up, the established medical pot shops became dual purpose. Medical and recreational. We had no state tax before January 1. Now, if you go in with medical authorization, it’s a straight-up 15% sales tax. Kind of high since the regular state sales tax is only 7 and a quarter. Okay with me. It’s what I asked for. Now the recreational sale tax for California pot is 30%.:eek: The state is making a ton of money. And it’s only March. I want to know where to find out how much.

Funny story: I stopped by a head shop in Denver once, a year or so ago, for the lulz. There was a big sign on the shelves of pipes: “There Is No B In ‘Water Pipe’” - obviously telling you not to say the word “bong.”

I cannot, for the life of me, see why anyone would give a fuck in a place where weed is legal. Where it’s illegal, like here in Missouri, the dance around the name of the product is a quaint relic that’s still necessary because of our ridiculous pot laws. But why would it be necessary in Colorado?

Ah … this is tricky … it’s the money used for buying and selling that has crossed state lines … thus commerce that uses the United States Dollar comes under the interstate commerce clause …

We have to water marijuana … was that hose manufactured in our state? … how about all the plumbing parts? … for most of us, this all comes from out-of-state, just growing marijuana involves interstate commerce as some level …

I’m not saying I agree with this, but this is how Congress interprets it …

I’ve lived in Colorado for many years. The biggest difference that I personally have noticed, is that–ironically–I smell marijuana out in public LESS often than I used to.

Many apartments prohibit the smoking of marijuana on their premises, but now that it’s legal, a lot of people are buying edibles, so they get the effect that they want through some non-smoking means of delivery.

In WA state the glass shop I’m familiar with still does the elaborate “tobacco only” dance too. Though given that the vapes they have work with all kinds of legal stuff, and (tobacco-only) hookah bars are a thing these days, it’s a slightly-more legit assertion than it used to be.

My brother bought a bright “daylight” globe when he was working in Seattle, to wake him up on cold dark winter mornings (to which he was not accustomed). He first went to a hydroponics equipment shop. They had a sign up directing customers to a nearby aquarium shop to buy the globes: as a hydroponics shop, they could only sell equipment to people who wanted to do hydroponics in naturally lit hot houses, not to people who wanted to grow plants inside…