What do we think of ELO, do we like them?

Leopold Stokowski comes on at the 10:00 mark in that video. And see: Bugs Bunny... "Leopold!" - YouTube

Just here to name drop my mate Iain, a session musician and a great guy who I used to share a house with in north London. Shortly after he moved out he signed up as ELO’s new lead guitarist. Go Iain!

Oooh! I’ve seen him when ELO toured through the U.S. in '18 and '19. Great singing voice, too. :slight_smile:

Oh, sorry. I didn’t have time to watch the whole thing.

What?

No worries, commasense.

Yep! The 1978 Out of the Blue tour had pre-recorded backing tapes for the band to play to.

I believe that “scandal” was exposed at the Pontiac Silverdome concert in Michigan.

There’s a Wikipedia article about the concert at Wembley and you can definitely tell the tracks are all over the VHS/DVD.

I think ELO opened for Deep Purple at a concert I’m pretty sure I was at, and they were better than Deep Purple because I was totally bummed that Ian Gillan had been replaced by David Coverdale. The people I was with didn’t notice or care and that bummed me out even more

I was kinda after the question of what was played live vs. from a tape - any number of bands have used backing tapes to an extent, with the band still playing and singing live. A very different situation from the performers who have everything on playback tape, and just mime and dance to make a show.

I stopped going to rock concerts in the mid-'80s so I don’t know about bands playing to taped music since then (except James Taylor used to have a reel-to-reel on stage for back-up vox on “You’ve Got A Friend”). For the '78 tour, I believe all the choirs, special sound effects and massive string parts were all taped.

I like ELO, but this thread title… Do “we” like them?

It makes it sound like we all have the exact same taste here (like those posters who claim that the reason why no one takes their conspiracies seriously is the SDMB ‘hive mind’).

And are you serious that you like ELO, but you’re wondering if “we” do before you listen to more? (“Should I delve further into their catalog?”) What if the first hundred comments were from Jeff Lynne haters? Would you never listen to more, and instead start a thread “Since we don’t like ELO, should I listen to The Alan Parsons Band instead?”

Sorry if this sounds like threadshitting, but it’s not; because I believe asking about a classic band is a great idea, but the wording of the title was a little off.

Or is that just me? What do we think? :innocent:

We are not terribly concerned about the title of the thread.

On the other hand, we haven’t thought of ELO that much recently, especially their often treacly later output.

I stand by my original post. Every now and then, I hear some new music, and get a chuckle imagining a sound engineer twisting a knob labeled, "Fruity Crapload"

Well played, we are amused.

Thank-you. No idea what Mr. Harrison saw in them.

Ahem. We think digs should know that it’s The Alan Parsons Project.