What do you call those English beer glasses with a bulge?

You know, those pub glasses which have a bulge about 2/3 of the way up, and a little printed seal or mark showing that they hold a pint. Mr. Pug has hinted he’d like a set of these for his birthday, but I don’t know what to call them so that I can commence an intelligent search.

A pint of your brew of choice to the person who can help me. Thanks.

honestly we just call them “Pint glasses” if you go into any homewares store in australia and say do you have any pint glasses you get pint glasses, but we also have middy and schooner glasses with bulge now as well.

I am not sure if they have a specific name rather than just their reference.


I’ve always known them as a “straight glass”. Google tells me that “Nonic” seems to be the answer. These sites: http://www.cocktail.uk.com/shop/products/product.asp?ID=216&title=Pint+‘Nonic’+Glasses and http://www.pnugent.com/Glassware.htm (sorry, too lazy to do the flashy link thing :wink: ) have them for sale (in the UK). Hope this helps.

Often ‘straight glass’ tends to mean one without a bulge, with a clean in-then-out curve from bottom to top. Also called a ‘vase’.

I stand corrected :slight_smile: I normally drink straight from the tin, so it’s not an issue.

Any day I can learn a new word is a good day. “Nonic”, huh? Yep, that’s what I need. Thanks, Mad Matt.

::polishing up a nonic::

What’ll you take?

That’d be a (virtual) pint of Stella - in a nonic, please. Cheers and good health.

[mutters to self] all the threads I post to seem to be about drink or drugs…? [/mts]

“Stout yeoman of the bar, may I purchase a nonic of your finest ale?”

they’re called ‘pint glasses’ or ‘beer glasses’ (call them anything else and no-one will know what you’re on about), though not all pint glasses have the curve thesedays.

You can pick them up at amazon, or google around for traditional pint glasses

I’ll take a pint of Chateau Petrus 1961 if you’ve got some going spare :wink:

btw, the mark (a little crown) at the top is from the (British) weights and measures department certifying it is indeed one pint.

…AND it appears on all pint and half-pint glasses, no matter what shape they take…AND the number on the mark identifies the individual inspector who tested the glasses (or the glass-making procedure).

Equally btw, a British pint is 20oz

Hah! Here’s a good ordering site: http://www.thepubshoppe.com/pintglasses.html

Hmm. I see that

[Pippin]They come in half-pints[/Pippin], too.

Earlier searches without the word “nonic” only found boring straight-sided glasses, usually embellished with the trademark of some beer which Mr. Pug can’t stomach.

I could always nick a few from my local for you…

Did I read that correctly?

The British don’t use 16 oz pints? [Hmm… been there many times, and never noticed that. Then again, I’m not a beer drinker.]

Okay, I stated that [incredibly] poorly.

I knew that British ounces were slightly smaller than US oz, but I assumed that the “pints” were the same (e.g that 16 fl oz US = 20 fl. oz UK)

Somewhere in the back of my head, I knew that “Imperial” pints and (esp) gallons were larger than ours, but I guess I was fooled by the conversion tables on this side of the puddle, which often have separate charts for “English units” (avoirdupois, etc.) and “Imperial units”, into thinking that the ‘standard’ or household pint was the same. After a bit of thinking, I realized that this couldn’t be true, based on my experiences cooking.

It should have registered many years ago, after all the British grumbling about “bloody 'alf-litres”. 1 Imperial pint = 19.215 US oz = 568 ml, so you’d have been short-shrifted by 2+ oz. We Americans would gain about an oz in the metrification (1 US pint = 473 ml) Try talking your publicans into serving in American ounces [29.574 ml (US) vs. 28.413 (Imp)]

I’m one of those foolish kids who believed the teachers who said we were going metric in the 70s (but who couldn’t a kilometer from a kilogram, themselves), so I’ve always thought primarily in metric units. I mean, hey, Congress made it a legal standard in 1866, then adopted the units in 1893, then again in… well, let’s fast forward to the Metric Conversion Act of 1975, then teh Omnibus Trade and Competitiveness Act of 1988 (which designates “the metric system of measurement as the preferred system of weights and measures for United States trade and commerce.” ), then the…

GorillaMan posted that

I note the qualification “often” but at least where I come from (London UK) they are a schooner, a straight is either a glass with straight non-parallel sides (thus wider at top than bottom) or similar but with the slight bludge which I think simply helps stop it slipping through your hand when you are drinking standing up.

But what the hell?! I now learn that US and UK fluid oz differ, and here was I thinking the difference was just in the number of them to our respective pints…“fighting ignorance” and all that I guess.

Also incidentally, the bulge enables the glasses to be stacked inside one another without jamming.

Which is why they are usually called stacking glasses over here in Ireland.

basically, any glass without a handle is called a straight glass.

a glass with a handle is called a jug.

eg :
Customer : “Pint of I.P.A please, darlin’”
Barmaid : “right you are love, straight or jug ?”
Customer : “I don’t care, it all tastes the same to me”