What do you consider clearest evidence of ongoing US racism?

These are very flimsy. In 1973 he was 27 and I doubt he has making policy for his father’s very successful business. That suit was settled with no admission of guilt.

The Central Park five was a case that was very well publicized in New York and caused much outrage. The crime was horrific and was at the end of a thirty year boom in crime. The defendants were in the park attacking people and it was their bad luck that the jogger was attacked at the same time they were attacking other people in the park. The evidence seemed solid given that several of them confessed. Wanting the death penalty for people who confessed to beating, gang raping, and leaving for dead a stranger in a public place has nothing to do with racism.

Pinkett, was picked by Trump over 15 other contestants and put him in charge of an important project after hiring him. Trump did not have to do any of that.

Trump is being called a racist for the same reason Reagan, Bush, Dole, Bush, McCain, and Romney were, they were Republicans running for president. Whoever runs for the GOP in 2024 will inevitably be called a racist and Trump will become one of the good ones.

Perhaps not - but continuing to insist on their guilt 14 years after they were exonerated and their convictions vacated is a different issue.

Maybe it’s also because he spent years spreading a racist and evidence free conspiracy theory about the first black president. And because he said a judge couldn’t do his job because he was Mexican. And because he said that some white supremacists/nationalists are good people. And maybe because he instituted a policy designed to deliberately harm migrant children for deterrent purposes. And maybe because he called non white countries “shithole countries”. Just for a few possibilities.

This idea that Trump gets criticized just because he’s a Republican is ludicrous. Do you really believe that Trump’s words and actions have nothing to do with how he’s criticized? Have you bought in so much to the White House’s own talking points that you repeat them by rote? This is just nuts.

I’m surprised we’ve only touched on the inequities in our educational system (K-12), which provides no viable route to middle class success for many less advantaged students vs. easy access to upward mobility via college educations for white kids.

Here’s a case I ran across yesterday:

Nabors Corporate Services and C&J Well Services Settle EEOC Race Discrimination Suit for $1.2 Million

Oilfield Services Company Discriminated Against Black Workers, Subjecting them to a Hostile Work Environment, Denying them High Paying Assignments, and Retaliating Against those who Complained, Agency Alleged

SAN ANTONIO, Texas - Nabors Corporate Services, Inc. and C&J Well Services, Inc., two Houston-based oil field services companies, have agreed to pay nine Black employees and one of their White co-workers a total of $1,225,000 to settle a race discrimination and retaliation lawsuit filed by the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the agency announced today.

The EEOC’s lawsuit alleged that Nabors Corporate Services, Inc., and its operational successor, C&J Well Services, Inc., violated Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 by subjecting black oilfield workers at their Pleasanton, Texas yard to a hostile environment that included the pervasive use of racial slurs in the workplace. The lawsuit further alleged that the company’s managers intentionally assigned Black employees to lower paying jobs and fired workers in retaliation for reporting racial harassment. The EEOC alleged that one Nabors worker who was told by the human resources department not to speak negatively about a harasser was later terminated when he reported a racist social media post shared between employees. According to the EEOC, another Black employee was called a racial slur at a meeting in front of supervisors and was then fired for reporting his objection.

Perhaps you listen to different liberals than I do. For all his faults, I never thought of Reagan or Romney or Bush 43 as racists. Bush 41 did allow the Willie Horton ads, though. As for the 2024 candidate, they will likely be racists because now the entire Republican party is based on that.

The ones I listened to were loud. People lied about Reagan, said he went to the site of a famous hate crime to give a speech about stats rights to send a message to the white supremacists that he was on their side. When George W Bush was running their were ads that said voting for him was voting for black churches to be burned and for people to be dragged behind trucks. Romney was repeatedly called a racist for saying negative things about black people.

The truth is that due to affirmative action it is much easier for blacks students to be accepted at colleges and receive financial aid.

Colleges, in fact, don’t really lead to good, stable employment for many. But underperforming K-12 schools do get kids into colleges but those same underperforming lower income public schools do not teach trades which would lead to stable employment and higher incomes. STEM is everything in most schools today.

I would imagine it does for those who graduate with degrees that actually point to those good, stable employment areas.

Just going to college, does not, I agree.

Don’t know about the other two, but Reagan was racist as fuck.

And that’s him damned directly by his own words, not even going into his support for the Apartheid government or the “Welfare Queens” bullshit.

Didn’t Reagan give a huge “pro Goldwater” speech at the Republican nominating convention in '64? And Goldwater was about as anti-civil rights as it got back then, if I recall correctly.

This is incorrect Goldwater voted for the 1957 Civil Rights Bill, the 1960 Civil Rights Bill, the 24th amendment and was a member of the NAACP. He voted against the 1964 Civil Rights Bill because he thought some of it was unconstitutional.

And yet he kept his partial support for civil rights quiet. Why was that? Seems obvious to me it was because he knew that there were tons and tons of racist white voters who might support him, unless they knew he actually did have some sympathy (if not nearly as much as he should have) for black Americans.

Agree. Point well made.

And Reagan used to boast how he was the only former Union president to be POTUS. One of the most anti union US presidents, IMHO.

Video after video after video of shocking racist behavior.

I don’t know if it has already been mentioned but anyway -

The use of ‘dog whistle’ politics and rhetoric. It always comes from the right, and often refers to anyone not on the right - however is it frequently invoked to mean people of colour - for example the widespread use of the term ‘those people’

That such language is widely used by one of the maintstream political parties and their supporters - sometimes officially but usually by rightist spokespersons and opinion formers shows racism at high levels within the right wing parties and associates.

The country is so anti racist that supposedly people in power are forced to use secret messages to appeal to racists. Dog whistles are a stupid idea, but the fact that they are even cited is evidence that that country is not racist.

So if I rob a bank and try to get away with it without getting caught, I am no longer a bank robber?