What do you drive?

What is your daily driver? What, if anything, does it say about you? Do you like it? Want a change? Just curious…

I drive a 2016 Toyota Sienna XLE. This is not really by choice, but by kid-hauling needs. I do sometimes feel a desire to be driving something cooler, but all in all it’s pretty comfortable and definitely practical given our needs.

What about you?

2017 Toyota Camry LE

Citroën C1. My previous two cars were Toyota Yaris hatchbacks (my brother still drives the first one, a '99), but when the second one decided to go on a general strike the local Toyota dealership was… unresponsive to attempts to trade it for a newer sibling. So, Citroën it was, since my friend who sells those actually answered when called :stuck_out_tongue: The people from Toyota Customer Care weren’t happy when they heard about this.

Apparently what it says about me is totally wrong, except for one detail. It’s supposed to be an urban car, but has gotten most of its mileage pulling stunts such as “move from Spain to Sweden” and back. If I am moving around an urban area I prefer to use public transit when possible.

The detail is the color. It’s red. For some reason red is a very popular car aroundNavarre.

I drive a 2012 Mazda 3. My old Crown Vic was dying and I needed a car. I did some research looking for just about the opposite of that (compact, fuel efficient, zippy) and at the time it all pointed to that car, so that’s what I bought. I’d had it in mind for a while; when I didn’t have a car and was relying on Zipcar when I needed a vehicle, I drove a lot of Mazda 3’s and I liked them.

I don’t know what it says about me. It’s not something I think about regularly, or ever. I’ve minimally customized it, aesthetically, with a skull gear shift knob and Punisher skull decal on the front “smile,” and it’s dirtied up to my liking (it’s white, or at least it was white once).

It’s a cute little car, and I still like driving it.

2008 Ford Ranger.
Now I can take a lawnmower out to my trailer in the woods.

2014 Jeep Wrangler soft-top manual transmission. Two door, back seat removed for the dogs, front passenger seat modified to accept our bird’s travel cage. A one-man vehicle.

2011 BMW sedan…of some type. I don’t even know! It’s, uh, white, and takes diesel fuel.

It’s a very nice car, though I feel it’s making me a worse driver. I really lean on features like the backup camera, and the steering wheel vibrating when it’s not safe to change lanes.

2006 Nissan Pathfinder as a daily vehicle. Once in a while my 2004 Ram 1500 shortbed regular cab 4x4 (in fact I’m driving it today). The Pathfinder does quite well for hauling dogs and as a daily driver in snow. It can hold pretty much. The truck stays home all winter since it will have a plow on it and will be chained up on all 4 wheels.

2016 Chevy pick up, with a camper shell. The truck says I am dedicated to getting to work in any weather. The camper shell says I’m “old” and no I won’t help you move your house…unless it’s raining, then I become popular again.

2012 Scion Xb. Very easy for crippled up old people to get in and out of, roomy inside, (we’re both bigger than a bread box), Very zippy, (I call it the ‘flying toaster’), tiny turning circle. I still like it after 5 years. Wife wants me to get another pickup, but I’d have to sell the Scion. I don wanna.

2017 Honda Accord V6.

We had been talking about getting an Accord for a couple of years, and at the last minute, discovered that Honda would stop making an Accord with a V6 after 2017. We rushed down to the lot in January of this year, and found they had two 2017 Accord V6’s left. And they were deeply discounted because they were last year’s model!

We chose the white one. I love it.

2017 Kia Soul, silver, no bumper stickers. I don’t know what other people think it says about me (probably ‘the guy who drives this is a psychotic murderer’) but if people could talk to the car and find out why I actually bought it, it would say ‘the guy who drives this isn’t hauling around a family and likes cars that are easy to get in and out of’.

2005 Dodge Dakota pickup (bright red). The least frilly model with the smallest engine; the only extras it has are an automatic transmission, a factory bedliner, air conditioning and cruise control. The rest is bare bones- crank windows, manual locks, cloth seats, manual headlights, manual seat controls, etc…

2016 Ducati Multistrada. I’d like to imagine that it tells people that I am an unconventional free spirit, enjoying life in the moment. The reality is that I suspect most people don’t think about the bike at all, to the point of being invisible in traffic. If I am noticed and considered, I suspect the most common phrase that comes to mind is, “What an idiot. He’s going to kill himself.”

I enjoy it immensely. And it’s the first bike I’ve owned that doesn’t have me shopping for a new bike after only two years. So there’s that.

I genuinely do put more miles on the bike than on my car. My bike has 12,000 miles in just over two years. My car is at 40,000 miles in almost 10 years. I have an '09 BMW 135i convertible. Most people probably assume I drive like a douche. I do not. I even use my turn signals!

I am considering replacing it, 10% because I’m worried about escalating maintenance costs considering it’s a 9+ year old BMW, and 90% because it has an automatic transmission and that’s been eating at me since the day I got it. Also it’s the first car out of seven that I’ve owned that has a back seat. I feel like I went soft when I bought it.

2009 Smart Car.

2012 Hyundai Sonata, and occasionally a 2009 Chevy Silverado long bed pickup. Spousal unit’s car is a 2008 HHR.

2003 Chevy Cobalt. Since it’s a Chevy my dad is probably spinning in his grave. But hey, his best friend helped me pick it out!

2012 Trek Madone Road bike.

2012 Chevy Volt

2000 Buell M2 Cyclone, because they wouldn’t let me buy a steam engine.
1995 Honda XR600R with street plates, because zombie apocalypse.
Mrs. Gap drives an '05 Caddy CTS. Her buddy.
Pork Rind, may you love your MultiStrada as long as I’ve loved my Buell.