What do you feel you are TRULY skilled at?

Hiding invisibly among the labyrinthine corridors of massive spaceships. :wink:

Seriously, though, I’d have to pimp myself as a three-dimensional thinker and general problem solver. Also if we’re going to a primitive planet I know a little about a great deal of things technological.

But the OP mentions genes. So if you want your planet populated with devastatingly handsome men and heartbreakingly beautiful women I’d be a cinch.

I can be a pretty good peace maker, does that count for anything? I also read fairly quickly, so I could scan for instructions on how to do something. I am good at research. Put me in the library and make sure I have an extra pair of contacts, I find what you need. I can whip up dinner from odds-n-ends. Xema, I can whip up oatmeal raisin cookies and frost them with cream cheese! Umm, nectar of the gods!
I know how to can vegetables and how to make jams, jellies and preserves. I know how to drive a tractor and how to shoot a gun.

Considering the above, I don’t think I would have the proverbial ice cube’s chance. :slight_smile:

OK. That would be ambrosia of the gods. Nectar is what they drank. And “ambrosia of the gods” is redundant. Only gods ate ambrosia anyway.

See how useless yet encyclopedic my knowledge is? Now do I get to go? Please, please, sir or madam. :wink:

I stand corrected. Unless, of course, you take the cookies and put them in the blender with some milk.

I have quite a high mechanical aptitude and can, if given enough time, fix most things mechanical be it an engine, washing machine or transmission.

Oh yeah. Cunninglus. Seriously.

I play minesweeper.

My degree in Politcal Science has served me well.

You’re gonna need someone to help with the defense of the community. And operate all them neato weapons that we’re gonna take with us, right? For my audition, I’ll wear my “Humans Rule!” tee shirt and demonstrate how to field-strip and fire the Mobius Reverse-Matter Continuum Destabilzer MK3 with detachable maser that doubles as a microwave oven.

I am incredibly calm under pressure. That’s already taken, but wouldn’t you rather have two level heads than one?

Okay, now… I’m really good at languages and get along great with people. If you need an ambassador for that neighboring tribe of post-apocalyptic loonies, I’m your man.

And… I can cook rice really well. My rice is never crunchy, nor is it ever mushy. That’s what you get, being vegetarian in a house of non-vegetarians. And my being vegetarian means more meat for you guys! I’m also a virgin, so if you need to sacrifice me to the Thunder God, I’m your man! Please! Gimme a place, any place! I wanna survive the apocalypse! Pleeeeeaaaassssse!

[grovels]

I nominate bernse for a place. Who cares if he can’t spell if he has these other wonderful skills.

:smiley:

well, i’m good with handling animals, large and small. (large as in up to horse and cow size, but i’m game for trying out with elephants or great cats.) i’ve also worked as a whipper-in, so i’m pretty handy and accurate with a hunt whip.

i’m known for having a great deal of common sense, as in finding practical solutions to problems or situations. i’m pretty good at cobbling up repairs to keep things working. i am also good at analyzing the basic psychology of what others do and why. i keep cool during emergencies.

so there really ought to be a reserved place for me in the Security section on the ship. help keep the general populace from getting out of hand or rioting from boredom, y’know.

:wink:

I can spell too. I guess one of the words I missed in 2nd grade must have been about one of my “idiot synchrazies.” I just can’t say or spell figger- Ever again- thanks to you! Guess this keeps me out of the saved bunch.

I’m very empathetic. Somehow Star Fleet saw some use for Deanna Troi, didn’t it? I sure hope so, because I can’t think of one useful skill I possess in any greater degree than do a jillion other people. :frowning:

IANTSP - “I am not The Spelling Person?” Spelling Pro? Tangy Spicy Pickle? I can’t figure it out, help me out here.

I’m not REALLY good at anything.
I’m sort of good at lots of things.

-I have a boundless knowledge of trivia.
-I can sew (well, I can operate a sewing machine, hem, make something from a pattern and put in zips).
-I can cook (havn’t poisoned anyone yet!)
-I can put together flat pack furniture.
-I can program videos and tune in TVs
-I can amuse small children and animals

I therefore nominate myself as general dogsbody and PA to all the people who are really talented ( a spare pair of hands could come in handy, even if it’s just to pass a hammer).

I am pretty good at just about anything I put my hand to. Unfortunately, I rarely put in the effot to actually excel. I guess I’m doomed to die with all the rest.

No, wait… I’m a very good hand with a machete.
I’m well versed with snorkeling equipment.
I’m strong and can carry a lot of gear.
I can hike for hours on end.
I can climb, sail, ski, and swim.
I’m versed in methods of mapless navigation.
I’m good with rope.
I’m versed with spelunking.
I can be quite stealthy and sneaky.
I have a good memory, and can write detailed reports, along with having the artistic skill to render what I see.

I’m otherwise expendable, which would make me a perfect Explorer, which will be needed once we arrive at the new planet.

Oh, who am I kidding. I’m doomed. (Though I bet a buck I could outdo Bernse’s special talent with my hands tied behind my back :D)

I’m a generalist; that is my specific skill (contradiction in terms, I know); I can do and work out all kinds of stuff; it would be incredibly pompous of me to consider myself equal to someone as great as Leonardo Da Vinci, but I do sort of share his insane ravenous curiosity about everything -some of this spills over into learning, experimentation, innovation, problem-solving etc.

Unfortunately, I’m nowhere near the best at this, so I’d not make the shortlist; may I suggest Adam Hart-Davies instead?

I have a very calming influence on most people and can start an IV on a hysterical, dehydrated and/or fairly small person in usually one stick. And not in the antecubital.

Either way, I’m not making it onto the ship. I have genetically bad teeth (four years of braces), crappy finger and toe nails (very weak), bad eyesight (nearsighted), allergies (not too bad, though), and psoriasis. And yes, these are all genetic (except maybe the allergies, which could be environmental), since I share all these with my sister.

Either way, I am excellent at learning new things, which would come very much in handy. I am also a decent computer programmer, and I know the difference between decent and descent.

Unfortunately, I think my quick learning has allowed me to get by with an underdeveloped work ethic, which would seriously hurt my chances.

You’ve got my vote, Regina :wink:

I am exceedingly good at screwing up. If it is idiot proof, I will stuff it up somehow.
I am also exceedingly good at taking the blame for things that go wrong, even things I didn’t do (mostly just because I am used to it).
Every enterprise needs someone like this (a fall guy), because then one person can happily take the blame for everything that goes wrong, smoothing the social functioning of everyone else, and the scapegoat person is happy because they’re doing a useful job and being fulfilled.

You’ll need me on the ship.

I’m a chef. I can not only cook, but organize a kitchen, write up menus, and whip prep cooks with wooden spoons before most people have had their morning coffees. I’ve worked from being a personal chef for a family of four to working for a large scale catering business that did parties of up to 2,000.

C’mon! People will need to eat!

I can vouch for JavaMaven1. She is truly skilled at the food-cookin’!

Me? Well, I’m pretty damn good at playing Tempest, although that doesn’t really come in handy much these days.