What do you love that everyone else refuses to eat?

Tripe. My dad ate it a lot growing up and cooked it once (in a great red sauce) for us to try. I actually liked it. I’ve only had it once, though, because my wife can’t stand the mention of it.

Peanut Butter, Banana and Mayonnaise, sandwich…

Not only do I adore sushi and sashimi, but I like the kind even some sushi lovers don’t. Especially the fish egg pieces, like salmon roe and flying fish roe.

Brussels sprouts
Lima beans
rutabaga
(most veggies, actually, except raw onion. Love it cooked, but not real keen on raw)
scrambled eggs with ketchup

And there’s this tuna salad that my family makes. It’s a summer dish, best served cold. It’s canned tuna (in water, drained), Miracle Whip, sliced bananas, and pineapple cubes. It’s awesome. But for some reason, people who are not blood kin to me think that this is the weirdest dish ever created. It’s grown on a couple of aunts that have married in, but my husband won’t even look at it. He wears there’s a Scriptural verse somewhere that damns those to hell who mix Miracle Whip with pineapple and banana. Shortly after we started dating, we attended a family event, and there was a great big ol’ bowl of this stuff. My family was throwing it down, and my husband looked positively nauseous. We tried to get him to taste it, and we’d almost worn him down, but then one of my other uncles (who’d married in) stepped up to defend him. “Don’t let them get to you, man,” he said. “No matter what they try, don’t ever let them convince you to eat that stuff!” He and my husband became great friends and allies after that, and when my uncle died suddenly of a heart attack a year later, my husband swore never to even try the tuna salad, because Uncle Kirk would have wanted it that way.

Weird vow upon someone’s passing, I know, but my uncle also had a terrific sense of humor. :smiley:

Shrimp tails. The crunchy part. I think it’s the best part of the shrimp. I luck out though - no one else will eat them, so I get all of theirs!

Cooked fat from steak or prime rib. I know I shouldn’t, and I don’t always, but…yummy!

Miracle Whip (it must come from the fact that my Grandmother always had it at her house, so somewhere in my mind, Miracle Whip = love & good times)

Foie Gras. Simply seared in a pan, served with some hot, crusty bread. Yum.

Mushrooms. Especially some fresh wild ones, pan-fried in butter until the edges get browned.

Peas. I love peas, particularly the fresh-shucked ones (which are expensive), but I do avoid the canned ones, since they are usually mush.

Tofu. Stir-fried with veggies, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, and sesame oil. Very tasty stuff. Also wonderful in miso soup.

Kidneys, lamb and veal both. Grill 'em, braise 'em, stew 'em, put 'em in a pie, Any which way is fine by me.

Sweetbreads.

Chicken gizzards and livers. “Dirty rice” is the best side dish ever conceived.

Anchovies.

Smelts and sardines, either fried or grilled.

Lima Beans. Poor cousin to the butter beans, but I love 'em both.

Lentils.

Raw onions. Particularly in conjuction with hunks of rough bread, strong cheese, and garlicky sausage.

Beets. Roasted. Sliced up with a nice vinegary dressing. With their greens steamed and chopped up on the side.

Raw eggs in things. Caesar Salads, milkshakes.

Stinky, smelly, sharp old cheese. All the blues (good stenching rotten lumps of them), plus Limburger and even Bierkase.

On a similar note…the crispy browned skin off a Thanksgiving turkey or roasted chicken, just out of the oven.
I know I shouldn’t, and I don’t always, but…yummy! :slight_smile:
And count me in with the Lima Beaners. They’re delicious!

I’m with you, Delphica, on the marrow! <mmmmm> And in a very similar vein, because it’s basically the same thing, I love cervelat, which is basically brain… I know that sounds horrible, but if you tell yourself it’s just marrow, it’s DEEEElicious, with a splash of salt.

My special milkshake. Peanut butter, a bana, and chocolate milk. Nobody else will go near it. :slight_smile:

Ooooh, sounds delicious. Can I have one?
You should try my secret treat…a big bowl of Peanut Butter Captain Crunch, slice a banana up into it, and then add milk and a drizzle of Hershey’s chocolate syrup. Only to be eaten alone, as it makes other people gag.

Kimchi. I love it, other people are repelled.

You’re telling me your family has a dish that includes tuna and bananas together, and it’s the mix of Miracle Whip and fruit that your husband hates?!? So he’s fine with the tuna/banana mix, but add Miracle Whip to that and he’s outta there.

You have a strange family. I prefer my tuna fish sans fruit, thank you very much.

My favorite sandwich is peanut butter, cream cheese, and… onion.

I love eating cream cheese out of the container.

Ooh, and rice pudding is awesome, but people always look at me funny when I order it in restaurants.

OK, this gets the prize as the weirdest concoction actually eaten regularly.

I like the idea of using pineapple in tuna salad. I put carrots and tomatoes in mine, because I don’t like pickles. Makes for a very colorful salad.

I don’t know what this is, but whenever I get dark meat chicken and get the back piece, there’s some sort of organ meat right next to the spine. I love this!

I didn’t know dirty rice had livers and gizzards in it. Do you have a recipe?

Mmmmmmm…sweetbreads. I always order them when I get the chance, although I’ve never had the gumption to attempt them myself.

Other things I like that people cross the street to avoid:

–Okra–especially fried with Indian spices.
–Brussels sprouts, steamed with brown butter.
–Bitter greens, like mustard and rappini. These are the thing to eat with rich meat dishes.
–Snails. Any excuse to dip something in garlic butter.
–Mussels. Same reason as snails, and they’re cheap, too.
–Any kind of smelly cheese. The only cheese I’ve found that I couldn’t eat was some strange brown Swedish thing my husband likes. (I can’t remember the name, but it was…sweet. Sweet and weird.)

That is something I definitely forgot to list. I was just introduced to roasted beets, and realized just how tasty these things were.

The school restaurant had a Warm Roasted Baby Beet Salad on its dinner menu-- three types of baby beets (your basic red, candy cane–pink & white stripe, and golden), served sliced with microgreens and a toasted mustard seed vinagrette. So few ever ordered it, even though it was the prettiest (those vibrant colors!) dish on the menu.

The restaurant’s Valentine’s Dinner had a similar salad, but we took regular sized beets, roasted them, sliced them, then cut them into heart shapes (heart-beets. ain’t that cute?). I still haven’t got the red stains off the sleeves of my chef jacket from that day.

No no no. He’s not fine with the tuna/banana thing, either. I guess I should have been more specific. He’s okay with the tuna & Miracle Whip, but not with the fruit.

What’s funny about this family recipe is that I never realized it was a my family only recipe until sometime after I was about 20 years old, and took my first husband (when we were still engaged) to a family get-together. It was there, and we were all snarfing it down as we do, and he just stared at it in horror, like we were eating fried worms or something. He (of course) had never heard of it, and then my mom piped in with “oh, I think it’s something that Grandma concocted years ago, but I’m not sure. All I know is that we’ve been eating it forever.” That was the first I’d heard of that. I don’t know if she got the recipe from a cookbook or just made it up herself. All I know is that it’s great. :smiley:

Oh, I love salt on my apples and watermelons! But have you had catalope with a light sprinkling of salt AND pepper? Yummy.

Fried Okra
Lima Beans
Butter Beans
Purple Hull Peas
and once in a blue moon-when nobody’s looking-I’ll indulge in a small bag of Pork Rinds.
(Did I mention I was raised in the South?)

Peanut butter, mayo, and tobasco sauce sandwiches. Good stuff. When I was a kid, I ate them without the tobasco sauce.

Once, when I was about seven, I had the bright idea that since peanut butter and mayo went so well together, then so must their respective partners, jelly and mustard. I was wrong.