[QUOTE=Wendell Wagner]
Yes, it is different where I am. Most restaurants I go to people order just an appetizer (which may be a soup or a salad, not just a small dish of a main course item) and a main course, or just a main course and a dessert. Getting an appetizer, a main couse, and a dessert is rather rare. Where you live in the U.P. (of Michigan) and where CairaJade lives in Chicago may indeed be quite different from here on the East Coast.
[/QUOTE]
I think we’re saying the same thing. The point I was trying to make is that restaurants still offer the courses, regardless of what people actually order.
Yes, I live in the UP, but we travel quite a bit. In the past 3-4 years, between my husband and I, one or both of us have visited Santa Fe and Taos NM, Madison WI, Traverse City MI, a lot of NE Canada (Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec City and points between), Boulder/Denver CO (where we used to live), Las Vegas, Albequerque. We also just got back from 3 weeks in France (Paris, Burgundy, Alsace, Lorraine, Champagne.)
Most places we ate offered the typical appetizer/salad & soup/main dish/dessert thing. Are those not courses?
When we were in France, they did a lot the same. The big difference was that they didn’t often have a separate salad course (though you could order a salad as an appetizer (entree, in French)), but there was often a cheese course that you could have either instead of dessert or in addition to it.
From watching diners around us, people ate pretty much the same way people in the US do - some ordered all 3 or 4 courses, many just had 1 or 2 courses. The fancier the place, the more likely it was that people had more courses.