What does it mean when Reprise is in the Title of Sheet Music?

I see Reprise occasionally in titles of sheet music. I know the dictionary definition is a repeated passage. Every piece of music repeats. :wink: So the dictionary definition means squat to me.

here’s an example on music notes.
http://www.musicnotes.com/sheetmusic/mtd.asp?ppn=MN0052595

They sell over eight arrangements of this traditional song. I don’t understand the significance of “Reprise” compared to other arrangements of the song.

As part of the title I take it to mean that the piece has been revisited - so this isn’t considered to be the original, but a re-interpretation, variation, or similar.

In a single work a reprise is a repeat of an earlier component, but is usually not note for note identical. Usually the earlier part is embellished, simplified, reworked, or becomes the basis for improvisation.

thank you Francis Vaughan. That’s what I needed to know.

I don’t know about this specific example, but in general, a reprise means the song is being repeated/varied within a larger work. So in a musical you may have a song sung in act 1, and then it is repeated in act 2 for dramatic effect. Or on an album, a song will appear earlier on the record, and then will be repeated later. Usually, there is some sort of variation in the repeat.

For example, on the Bleachers album Strange Desire, they have a song “Wild Heart” opening the album and then later vary it in “Wild Heart Reprise”.

Missed the edit window - in the wiki article on the subject there’s oodles of other examples from albums and musicals if you’re interested in exploring more examples.

I have seen reprise used in musicals. The program the theatre gives out lists them. I hadn’t thought about the performance changing after it repeats. I’ll look for that the next time I attend a musical…

I see at the end of the Wiki they say, see cover version. So reprise and cover are similar too. The song I was looking at is a cover of a traditional irish hymn.

I’ve never heard “cover” used as a synonym for “reprise” and I’m not sure why the wiki article would refer to cover version in the see also section. But you’ll note it does define a cover version there as “a new version of a song originated by a different artist”. That’s not what a reprise is at all.

OK, had a chance to look into the specific piece of sheet music you linked to. It’s from Michael Card’s Starkindler: A Celtic Conversation Across Time. It looks like the disc opens with “Be Now My Vision” and closes with “Be Now My Vision (Reprise)”. So that is consistent with the idea of repeating and (probably) varying the same piece later on the album.

Moderator Action

Moving thread from General Questions to Cafe Society.

The most famous example in pop culture comes from the Beatles. * Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band* starts with the title song on side 1. On side 2, the fifth song is “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise),” a shorter version that leads into “A Day in the Life.”

ah, that makes sense.

Only music notes would confuse everything by only offering Michael Card’s reprise version of that song. They don’t sell the sheet music for his other arrangement of Be Thou My Vision.

I’m glad that I asked and got this cleared up. Reprise was a term I sort of understood but really didn’t. Now I know. :slight_smile: I’ll subscribe to this thread and keep as a reference.

It’s primarily used in musicals, when a song is sung more than once. Another example is “One” from A Chorus Line. Sometimes the reprise has different lyrics.

The Beatles also reprised “You Never Give Me Your Money” in “Carry that Weight,” though they didn’t call it that.