What does YKK mean on zippers?

Um, it’s the company that makes them? Same reason there’s “Ford” on my car and “Compaq” on my computer? Fighting ignorance is one thing because it is curable, but Cecil should not be led astray to fight gross stupidity. One thing, though:

The Amish manage to get by, though even they are becoming big fans of solar power.

Linky.

OK, I’ve now checked every zipper I have easy access to. The one on my fly says “IDEAL”, the various ones on my coat and on an office-mate’s backpack don’t have any name on them at all, and the one on another office-mate’s tennis racket case says “Head”. Apparently, YKK could work a little more on their market penetration.

The one on my fly (jeans, Geoffrey Beene) says YKK, as does the next one I looked at (slacks, Merona - I think that’s Mervyn’s store brand). Then I got bored. So based on this rigorous sampling (n=2), I estimate that YKK has achieved total penetration in this household.

(You just wanted to use the word “penetration,” didn’t you?)

Most of my zippers say YKK; one says “You shall die a painful and dishonorable death.” Stupid North Korean imports…

Looks down

YKK on the pair I’m wearing.

Once upon a time I saw a zipper clearly marked “KKK”.

Apparently YKK has a competitor with limited market research skills.

Goodness, my suit pants (on this suit) have a YKK zipper. I never noticed this before.

“YKK” means that your zipper has been inspected by the Council of Rabbis and is certified kosher.

Heh.

The zipper on the jeans I’m waring reads “TALON”.

I’m not as comfortable as I was a minute ago.

OK, different pants today. They’re YKK this time. Whew!

The one on my coat says “YBS.” What’s that?

Apparently a Korean-Chinese spinoff from YKK.

(bolding mine)

(From http://exp.ccpit.org/Chinaexports_asp/Commany_detail_E.asp?ID=3579)

I’m happy to report that my khakis have a Talon zipper. Why would that make me happy, you might ask? Because I went to school in Meadville, PA, where Talon used to be located (they eventually ended up in California, but at least they’re still American).

I’ve never figured out how YKK managed to get so much of the market away from Talon. I guess they’re cheaper or something. It isn’t like Talon was putting out a crappy product, a la Detroit.

Talon is the descendant of the original company that invented the durn things in the first place. (“Zipper” was originally B. F. Goodrich’s trademarked name for boots equipped with what was then called a “slide fastener”.) Talon picked their zippy new name out of a book of five-letter code words. But “talon” actually does suggest Judson’s original invention, which used claws and loops (see INSPIRATION LINE Trivia and Facts: The Zipper), rather than the cup-and-dome design introduced in “Slide fastener #2”, and largely unchanged in metal zippers to this day. They also developed the “Zephyr” plastic-coil zipper.

I imagine the loss of business to YKK is a direct result of the fact that almost the entire garment industry has left America.

On my zipper tab, it says, “Welcome to Jamaica, have a nice day.”

That’s the second biggest zipper I ever saw!

Figure out a way to make it by the billions with as little human intervention as possible, and you’ve figured out a way to make it cheaply. YKK spits out in excess of 1,200 miles of zippers per day at their plant in Macon, GA.

Another “ingredient” in their success is complete vertical integration. YKK makes everything in that zipper - they make the brass, they make the nylon, they even make the machines that make the zippers.