YKK

On the 8th I got my latest email from “The Straight Dope” and I came across "Straight Dope Classic #3 - 10/05/1990. I enjoyed it and wanted to leave a comment. The title is: “What does ykk mean on zippers?”

Here is my comment:

And I had always heard that the zipper was just “Yankee” ingenuity!

Thanks,

Tim

That would be this column.

A little contemporary wisdom from Cecil:

Of course lots of people believed that in 1990.

Also, of course, the zipper was “yankee” ingenuity:

Nothing to do with the basic issue/topic but I thought the thread title had to do with “Y 2 K” :slight_smile:

And all this time I thought the YKK stood for Young Korean Kids, as in “who works in the zipper factory?”

Zippers, in general, are a pretty fascinating product. Check out the YKK website.
They also make an incredibly different number of fasteners/closures for myriad applications.
IMHO, YKK makes the best zippers currently on the market.

(And no, I don’t work for, nor am I affiliated with, YKK.)

So, what we’re saying here is: Crotchluminati.

And here I thought it was the sound you make when you… never mind.

This is why I love the SDMB. People have opinions on such things.

Awesome.

They (YKK) seem to be doing some serious brand-awareness building. I bought a new leather motorcycle last month and almost every ad description touted the jacket having YKK zippers, like I was supposed to care (I probably should, it has nine of them). I don’t recall any such mentions when I bought my previous jacket pre-2000.

That’s just good business. They’re trying to turn what is perceived as a commodity into a strong selling point, and doing a great job of it. YKK is probably the only zipper company I could name, and I’ve been aware of them forever.

My father being in the rag trade, he received a complementary copy of Talon’s 1963 50th-anniversary book. A fascinating read—but Talon is nowadays about as relevant as Silicon Graphics.

(bolding mine)

A ‘leather motorcycle’? Is that a new HD model? :confused::wink:

Sorry, I just couldn’t resist.:smiley:

Umm, my leather motorcycle is actually quite restrained. :wink:

Please, PLEASE, tell me that is not yours. :eek::wink:

This one belongs to a fellow Doper, Kopek. :cool:
He calls it the “Road Kow”. :stuck_out_tongue:

Only because I’m allergic to cats. And… an Amish Harley?

A picture is worth a thousand words. :wink:

I get it now. But he needs one of those “slow moving vehicle” triangles to really mess with minds.