What does YMMV stand for?

This has been bugging me for a while - will someone please enlighten me? Thanks.

“Your Mileage May Vary” which means that while something may be the case for me… it might be different for you (or someone else). It comes from the mileage estimates for cars that obvisouly vary based on how you drive them… so while I may get 25 MPG/s, YMMV.

Your Mileage May Vary (meaning that you may disagree with the preceding statement and not be considered wrong)

Your Mileage May Vary

Your Mileage May Very.

It is a quote from car commercials to protect them from lawsuits.

It means that you may get a slightly different result when you perform the same action.

DolphinBoy and Mangetout, much appreciated.

If you search the About This Message Board Forum, using “abbreviation*” as a search argument on “titles only,” you can find several lists of common abbreviations such as Acronyms (abbreviations?). Several of those have further links to web sites with “standard” internet, newsgroup, and message board abbreviations.

TomnDebb - I appreciate the tip.

Other posters on this thread - Thanks for helping a rookie.

Heck, all this time I thought it mean “Yanni makes many vomit.”

You can also look up the most common acronyms at acronymfinder.com. :slight_smile:

Your Mileage May Vary although Your Mileage May Vary.

I thought it meant “Yanni makes ME vomit.” Close enough?

It’s a candy-coated Humvee, a Yumvee.

Questions about acronyms and initialisms used on this message board usually do best in the About This Message Board forum. I’ll move this thread to ATMB even though it has already been answered.

bibliophage
moderator GQ