What fictional place would be the worst place to bring up a child?

Omelas, if you’re a particular parent, anyway…

Elm Street. Nightmarish place, that is.

Panem or the Republic of Greater East Asia (Hunger Games and Battle Royale respectively)…neither of them is exactly a nice place to live in general, but the fact that your kids could be forced to fight to the death kind of tips the scale on the ‘bad place to raise kids, specifically’ count… (At least in the Republic, you can relax once they’re out of Junior High…)

Good calls. And when Charles came to get Laura on the mountain Borgnine disappeared quicker than you can say “Ethel Merman wants to get back together”. Was it because he was an angel, or because there were adults around?

Jesse and Frank James came to town once as well.

And I seem to remember an episode with a clown. Who, IIRC, was also a rapist.

I actually remember the clown rapist episode…and the poor girl, Gloria I think?, ended up “with child” and Dr Baker asked Albert if he was responsible.

Dammit! I always forget the rapist clown :smack:.

By the way, we also need to note that Walnut Grove’s citizens arrested Billy Barty and locked him in the ice house. Billy Barty! Can’t get much crueler than that.

IIRC, while Death trailed Jessica Fletcher like a faithful golden retriever, a majority of the episodes took place somewhere other than Cabot Cove. I was just a kid when MSW was running, but I remember being surprised and excited when an episode DID happen in CC, because we got to spend time with Sheriff Cunningham.

Mars

Innsmouth, Massachusetts

You also should note that there was a rapist, who disguised himself with a clown mask.

Galt’s Gulch. It may be useful as a punishment though - rather than have them copy the dictionary or write 100 sentences just send the disobedient buggers to the Gulch to sit through hours of self-important monologues.

Mos Eisley, “wretched hive of scum and villainy.”

Seems a bit dodgy as a place for a family.

The Arachnid Omnivoracity (fan name) from Starfire; the Arachnids treat subjugated intelligent beings as meat animals and raise them on ranches. And they like their food live.

Just about any plane of existence in the Magic: the Gathering universe. You’re constantly being hunted by vampires, or zombies, or werewolves, or demons, or angels, or ancient gods of hunger, or power-hungry dragons, or barbarians, or Phyrexia, or all of those things at once. Or maybe you’re just in the wrong place when two planeswalkers are battling it out. Really high death toll in those planes anyway.

New Crobuzon,

Giedi Prime?

Anywhere in the Warhammer 40,000 universe.

In fact, it’s cold as hell.

Ayup, when I’m in Milwaukee I own a hodware store, but when I’m talkin’ like Farmer Smurf I’m a sheriff!"

A point I’m guessing Luke brought up every time Leia complained about anything from her childhood. “Yeah, being a princess on a green world must be awful, it’s so much easier being a moisture farmer on a hunk of molten rock so godforsaken that going to a seedy stucco dive in Mos Eisley was an adventure!”
To which their dad, were he alive, would likely have countered with “Boo hoo hoo! When you and your virgin mom are slaves of a half-Fred Sanford/half-dragonfly come help me put together a self lubricating droid and I’ll get them to cry you a river!”

Agreed. You can’t even sail a paper boat in the rain without having your arm torn off. Jeeze!!!

Catachan

“We’ve run into scorpions the size of battle tanks, three men died from Eyerot this week, I’ve sweat enough to fill a lake, my boots got sucked into a sink-swamp and the trees are so thick in places you can’t squeeze between them. Emperor help me, I love this place! It’s just like home!”