What food flavor or flavors do you dislike the most and why?

I sometimes wonder at people who like those really hopped up bitter beers. gimme a glass of wine with dinner and you keep the beer thanks

Beer does not taste good. Alcohol does not taste good.

Alcohol makes you feel good, you like that.

Never much cared for alcohol intoxication, and super hated the after effects. When I discovered pot, alcohol drinks became just a bad memory.

I like (in some cases love) most of the foods listed here, but I hate liver, and I hate pickle relish.

Pickle relish is made from sweet pickles and are nasty-tasting. If I want chopped pickles in something (eg. tartar sauce or tuna salad), I’ll get some nice sour dills and chop my own.

Tamarind. Tastes like rusty doorknobs.

I enjoy or at least am tolerant of virtually every food or beverage listed herein.

An exception is liver. I acquired an anti-liver prejudice early on, and it was reinforced by the odor of the sometimes enormous cadaver livers I was obliged to slice in the dear departed days of autopsies.* As another poster noted, pâté in small amounts is OK, though I don’t seek it out.

In the case of licorice, it should be noted that most of what is sold as licorice is actually candy flavored with anise. I don’t mind that, but really good genuine licorice is a treat. A tip of the hat to whoever on the Dope promoted chocolate-covered Lakrids, a jar of which I got Mrs. J. for her birthday and which she is also enthusiastic about.

*naturally, an ad purported to warn you about Signs of a Dying Liver, which has followed me around the Internet, also has popped up in the course of this thread. Many Americans, and for all I know residents of other lands, seem preoccupied with “detoxing” their livers or obsessing about the likelihood that their livers are about to quit on them. If you don’t drink to excess, are not markedly obese, and don’t work with dire hepatotoxic chemicals, the odds are that your liver is just fine. Quit worrying.
**unless you drink Faygo Redpop or eat food seasoned with cilantro. They’ll rot your liver before you know it. :worried:

Beets and Brussel sprouts. And I really hate the people who say “Oh, you just haven’t had them with. . .” or “You just haven’t cooked them properly. . .” No, they taste like a sack full of assholes with the good ones picked out.

I’m surprised by the hate for anise-related spices. I use a lot of fennel, and I also like tarragon and caraway seeds.

Heh. My father taught medical school anatomy and was around cadavers and has never lost his taste for liver.

I actually like liver sausage but once I discovered what a liver is, no thank you.

Iick many of those have ya.?

Agree on the tomatoes: as long as they are prepared in some way, I’m okay, but raw is just a no-go for me. I would eat a bag of sun-dried tomatoes any time, though.

Raw onion exists only to ruin ANYTHING it is put on. But I will gladly buy an onion the size of my head, dice and caramelize it, and eat the entire thing with no accompaniment!

Agree with this; I don’t dislike it in any way, but eating fresh dragonfruit is severely underwhelming to me; I might as well just have a glass of water, flavor-wise.

Nailed the flavor profile. I can stomach them if I must, but I would never intentionally subject myself to them.

Another thing that tastes like dirt to me: unadulterated white sugar. Blechh.

Came in to mention these banes to my existence. I have other foods I dislike but can tolerate. Pea’s for example. Don’t like em. Won’t ever add extra but I can deal with them ruining perfectly good dishes.

Not so the seeds. And I am incredibly bitter as my family eats lots of italian sausage and I should love this dish as I love most any sausages but best I can do is suffer a few polite bites and then eat the peppers and onions around it.
Anyway thanks TRC4941 for letting me know that even if I’m crazy I’m not the only one. Can’t help with the rest of the list as I am a fan of most of the rest of the stuff you dislike.

But have you had brussels sprouts properly seasoned with Italian spices and broiled to a delicious browned texture along with succulent cloves of garlic? Magnifique! :smiley:

Caraway is the reason I don’t eat rye bread. It’s too perfumey. It’s not terrible and I could eat rye bread if served it, but I won’t really enjoy it because of the scent.

I wonder how many people say they don’t like anise but chow down on pepperoni?

Lipstick on a pig. Bad Brussels sprouts have a horrible flavor that is really off-putting to some people. That flavor doesn’t go away, no matter how they’re cooked! Your recipe’s case is just a waste of spices and garlic.

If Brussels sprouts tasted like they look like they should taste (like tiny cabbages), all would be well. They don’t taste like that!

I actually held out hope for beets because of all the times I heard that: “You just think you don’t like beets because you’ve only had canned; wait until you try fresh beets, oven roasted!”

Well, I finally had fresh roasted beets and I was really looking forward to it. But damn … they still tasted like BEETS. Did not like.

I like most anything in some form or other but I never understood HOT foods. If you develop a tolerance that’s great but that means you’re a masochist to some degree.

For me, eating something painfully hot makes as much sense as pouring salt in your eye while dinning. And then, THEN you’re visited by the ghost pepper of gastric past in the middle of the night. You wake up falling out of bed in an epileptic fit of pain begging God for death or at least safe passage to the bathroom. Something only made worse by having a hangover that causes you to throw up and burn your nasal cavities.

The whole idea of self induced culinary pain seems like an omage to the show “Jackass”.

I have a bucket of things NOT to do and eating a Carolina Reaper on a dare is at the top of the list. Maybe if space aliens promise world peace and a cure for cancer. Maybe.

I had a security guard who offered to bring me a bowl of homemade chili that “only” had 1 ghost pepper in it. I have a low tolerance for really spicy food. I stared at him in abject horror.

So you wouldn’t be interested in a coffee/coconut beer?

Well, there is pleasure in the heat. I wouldn’t call it “pain” myself unless you really overdo it (which I’m not a fan of), but it gives me a little bit of joy, an endorphin rush of some sort. For me, it’s a tingle, not something that actually should hurt. If it actually hurts, you’ve overdone it. When you develop a tolerance for it, it doesn’t mean you tolerate more and more of a tingle, it’s more that you simply need more and more to feel any sort of tingle. When I was a kid, I remember my first tabasco sauce on a pizza, and my crying for five minutes afterwards. Now, I can’t get that sort of reaction or sensation unless I get into the sauces made from capscaicin extracts (which taste chemically to me – I don’t know if that’s just my imagination, but they do have a sort of “industrial” burn to them.)

Raw peppers are a bit of a different story than sauces. Those can be deceiving, because despite peppers varying in Scoville units, the ultra hots are generally a lot smaller than the medium-hot peppers, so you can get quite a dose of capsaicin even though you’re eating what is a presumably much milder pepper. And raw peppers are all over the map within a species, heat-wise. I have had jalapenos that taste barely hotter than a green pepper, and I’ve eat jalapenos where eating a whole one gives me the sensation of much hotter peppers like Thai chiles (which are much smaller.)

And I personally can attest to not eating a whole raw Trinidad Scorpion pepper (almost same heat level) on an empty stomach. That is not a pleasurable experience.

It’d have the same effect on me as garlic on a vampire.