What food flavor or flavors do you dislike the most and why?

I like a little heat, but I don’t get ghost peppers, etc. or hot spices where your nose runs and you sweat. Ewww… Don’t get it, don’t like it. That, and sex that hurts. Ewwww…something is messed up there

Dill pickle relish exists, if you would prefer it over making your own.

Eggs. I don’t like 'em.
In a recipe where they are well disguised, like a cake, I have no problem with them. But as soon as the “eggy” flavor emerges, I won’t eat it. Quiche is the tipping point - get it away from me.

Seriously? Could you expound on this? Googling brings up conflicting claims.

This. I can actually eat fresh raw green peppers. But if they get old, or ripen to yellow or red, or get cooked, Yeech. And don’t get me started on hot peppers. What a nasty way to ruin otherwise nice food.

I like many other flavors that are sometimes called “spicey”, like ginger and clove and black pepper. And as an adult, I can tolerate a tiny amount of mustard. (I couldn’t as a child – my hatred for McDonald’s burgers extends to my first taste of one.) But please keep the capsaicin away from me, in any shape or form.

I dislike many of the other items mentioned (raw onion, cilantro, fake hazelnut flavor) but I mention this one because I don’t think it’s very common:

I don’t hate commercial bakery products, but they are pretty much never worth the calories, and tend to taste like plastic. Especially the sweets. Yeah, something to avoid.

The Dope constantly reminds me that I could have made millions as a scammer.

An endorphin rush makes more sense. It’s just pain for me. the only hot peppers I think have any flavor are those little Chinese peppers. Very tasty but not worth the pain. I just read that you aren’t supposed to eat them. If that’s true then stick them in a metal tea ball while cooking and discard them.

I, too, only sense pain, not pleasure. But i do also taste the peppers, even in very spicy food. And peppers taste nasty.

Girl Scout cookies are an abomination, in my opinion. Store bought hard cookies, strike me as little more that human dog biscuits, on a good day. But girl guide cookies are full on chemical flavourings, imitation chocolates etc, etc. No chance I’d let my kid eat these poor excuses for cookies.

Also, large chunks of raw onion…in any dish are horrid, no thanks.

I would love to eat a sausage pizza, but the seeds ruin it, overpowers it.

california_jobcase asks how we can eat pepperoni. I’ve never noticed anise, caraway or fennel taste in pepperoni. I wouldn’t eat it if there was. I LOVE pepperoni.

Not all places uses fennel in their sausage, but the vast majority do (at least in my experience), as it’s so closely associated with what we in America think of as “Italian sausage.”

Black licorice/anise
raw tomato
cilantro (yes, it tastes like soap to me)

Kind of a vaguely musky, almost bitter vegetal flavor? That’s what gets me about raw tomatoes and why i don’t eat them.

I also really don’t care for squash in most forms- summer or winter. Summer squashes are insipid, watery and mushy. I can do marinated grilled zucchini ok, but most other styles are not something I’d choose to eat. My wife on the other hand would happily eat a serving of steamed yellow squash with nothing but a bit of salt on it. Blech.

Winter squashes are worse, in that they have a similar weird almost musky or cloying flavor/aroma as sweet potatoes, and they have a similarly mushy texture when cooked to summer squash.

I like spicy food, too. But so many recent trends have pushed capsaicin as the ONLY flavor necessary.

Ghost Pepper just tastes like spicy dirt to me. Carolina Reaper offers nothing but heat. Habanero is always better because it has an underlying fruitiness that pairs well with other flavors irrespective of the heat.

Exactly how I feel about summer squash, too.

Peanut butter. Yeah. Peanut butter. I have no idea why I dislike it, but at least I no longer gag at the smell, which is how I reacted as a child. And no, I’m not allergic. I don’t particularly like peanuts, and I tend to pick them out of dishes where the are added whole, like kung pao chicken, but if there are some bits and pieces in a dish or in a sauce, I’ll eat it and (generally) enjoy it.

Split pea soup. This one I understand. Let’s just say that if your 8 year old grandson looks dubiously at the big bowl filled with what looks like vomit, the best parenting method is not to stand over him as he chokes it down (and then promptly vomits all over the kitchen floor, so I’m not even sure who won that round).

Green peppers. When I was a kid my parents would often get sausage & green pepper pizza and I absolutely could not eat it, even if you pick off the green peppers because it still had “pepper juice” flavor on the cheese. shudder

I also hate fishiness of any kind, and I seem to be pretty sensitive to it. Even in agar agar, I swear I can taste the briny/fishy essence and it’s just so off-putting, blech

Exactly! I’ve surprised a few friends and co-workers by easily being able to identify products with even small amounts of “fake” sweeteners. (“Oh, this batch was made with sugar and this batch was made with SuperNaturalSweetenerByProduct. You’ll never be able to tell the difference if I mix them up!” Yes, I can…and with 100% accuracy.) Diet Coke makes me spit up a little into my mouth.

I have gout, and aged sausage is really bad for it. So, I looked up pepperoni recipes to see if I could create a pizza-worthy substitute using chicken and a food processor. Nearly every recipe included anise or fennel (usually anise). Yes, I have succeeded in making a pepperoni-ish substitute, and it really needs the anise to taste like pepperoni.

I always say I don’t eat sweets in these kinds of threads. I like a very broad range of anything-else foods.

But a more interesting reply is couscous. I’m also not into achiote flavor. Both taste like soil samples. I love beets and mushrooms which are accused of the same dirt flavor. However, the aversion isn’t so strong as to prevent polite consumption. Or for sweets, I can eat ice cream and pie or whatever if that’s what the dinner host serves. Definitely no candy, though.