What FPS has the biggest or most unique selection of REAL weapons?

I would have to go with Vietcong, the way-ahead-of-its-time first person shooter from the same guys who made the amazing Mafia. It is, predictably, a Vietnam War game set in the jungle. And it has all of these weapons:

Rifles:

AK47
M1 Carbine
M1 Garand
M14
M14 with optics
M16
Mosin-Nagant
SKS
SVD Dragunov
Winchester Model 70
Tokarev SVT40
SVT40 with optics

Pistols:

Makarov Pistol
Colt M1911
Nagant Revolver
S&W model 39
Tokarev Pistol

Shotguns:

Baikal IZH-43
Remington 870

Submachine guns:

PPS-41
PPS-43
US-M3
Scorpion
Sten Gun
Thompson

Others:

Degtarev Machine Gun
DP2 Machine Gun
M60 Machine Gun
M79 Grenade Launcher
US Knife
VC Knife

All of these weapons are rendered in extremely realistic detail right down to the action, the magazines, the ammunition, the amount of recoil, and everything else. I have NEVER seen so many real, historical weapons in one game.

Are there any other FPSs that have so many real weapons? Particularly old bolt-action rifles and assault rifles and other things that are old rather than new and futuristic? I would love to know.

That’s a darned good list. I’d suggest the Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Vegas series, which prides itself on realism. It has a good selection of assult rifles, subs, light machine guns, shotguns, pistols, and sniper’s rifles from around the world. Plus, I like how there are no rocket launchers or heavy machine guns; hardware that wouldn’t be issued to a military SWAT team in real life.

Do those new Rainbow Six games continue with the “cone of fire” abstraction to simulate recoil like the old ones did? It was a pretty crappy system.

Operation Flashpoint has an impressive variety of weapons, and they’re modelled quite well.

There is a mod (called unimaginatively Weapon Mod) to Soldier of Fortune 2: Double Helix game. It does good work on realism when compared to original selection. IMO it’s not worth playing without that mod.

Nah, it’s the upwards spasm you usually get. (In RS:Vegas and Vegas 2)

I do have to throw out some props for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. though. Albeit they’ve not got the biggest selection, I’m fond of their approach to guns. You know, guns actually jamming, benefitting from specialized ammunition (like AP rounds) and so forth.

I’d throw in Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. The AC-130 gunship rocks!

Like Counterstrike?
Flashpoint has a great system - the game always tracked where the muzzle was pointing at all times. It was never an abstraction. Different sorts of movements, and recoil, would make the muzzle bounce around, but it always kept track of it.

It’s way more satisfying than the way other video games model it - where the shots just appear randomly in a circle where the size is determined by movement, recoil, etc.

The old Clancy games (R6, ghost recon, etc) were particularly bad at this because they otherwise strived to be detailed and realistic, but had the worst case of rounds randomly placed in a widening circle recoil.

I remember that, the bullets really would take time to reach their target.

That definitely was one badass level, wasn’t it?

If we’re allowing combat flight sims (they are first person, and you do shoot), how about Aces High or IL-2?