What games do you plan on picking up in 2016?

My new year’s resolution was to be a better person.

Since I know that’s going to last all of a week, and I’ll be back to being an evil, no good son of a gun (watch out!), I also made a resolution to play more of my backlog of games.

But there are still a few games that I am really looking forward to, and plan on picking up day one.

First, there is the expansion pack for Pillars of Eternity - The White March. I can’t wait to come back to that world Obsidian built.

Then there’s Deserts of Kharak, a Home World spin off RTS, which looks terrific.

X-Com 2 - straight into my veins.

Deus Ex Mankind Divided. The previous new Deus game was pretty amazing, and I’m hoping new hardware can drive an even better experience.

Torment: Tides of Numenera - IF it comes out 2016, I feel it might be my RPG of the year.

If Numenera doesn’t come out 2016 I’ll pick up Divinity Original Sin II, otherwise I’ll probably wait to play it next year.

Mass Effect Andromeda - In-spite of it’s lackluster conclusion, Mass Effect was probably my RPG of the “generation”, even above Dragon Age (specially given what was Dragon age II). I’m hoping history will repeat, or at least tie with Numenera (or a possible Pillars 2).

Star Citizen - The single player aspect of this game is what interests me the most, and that’s due next year (right?!)

No Man’s Sky - I suspect I’ll be playing this before Start Citizen. Looks like it will scratch of my exploration itches perhaps for 2016 AND 2017.

Roller coaster tycoon World - so I’m still a bit skeptical, and I’ll wait for reviews, but, IF it turns out to be what it promises to be, then this will be awesome! Looking like a great year for strategy…

Total War: Warhammer - My favorite historical strategy series takes on a fantasy world. I will either hate this, or I will love it till the day I die. Either way, I’m picking it up.

Then there’s VR. Lots of games are coming out for both Valve’s Vive and Oculus Rift - I’m really not sure what I’ll do. I’ll probably wait and see how the devices are received before investing… I might even sit out until 2017 when I can hopefully find a deal on some Pascal/Polaris GPUS.

so what games are you guys planning on picking up? Are you thinking of picking up a VR headset?

Fallout 4 - when the DLC and modding tools are out.
XCOM 2 - when it’s cheap enough that it’s worth buying for the modding and not all the stupid crap Firaxis changed.

My resolution was to only buy five things for myself (that weren’t absolutely necessary) and waiting at least a week until a game is released to pick it up.

So far I’m eyeing Far Cry: Primal, Deus Ex, and No Man’s Sky. The first and the last I may way for a month or so to make sure I really want them. NMS sounds like it’ll be amazing, but after so long on the hype train I’m a bit weary.

American Truck Simulator, due out in February.

Fallout 4 by the end of the year, assuming Steam marks it down by at least half at some point.

This.

We happy few. Bioshock, 1984 and Brave New World have a threesome baby 15 Drug-Fueled Minutes of We Happy Few - IGN First - YouTube

Total War: Warhammer. About time, it’s so obvious a fit. Perhaps we’ll get a Total War: Warhammer 40Kin a few years since most 40K ranged weapons have musket-like range and accuracy.

The Universim: A proper Spore that starts from the tribal stage The Universim Pre Alpha - Actual Gameplay Exclusive ! - YouTube

Sub Rosa: team-based crime caper, think Ronin/Heat Sub Rosa Game Trailer - YouTube

Albino Lullaby episodes: Like a really weird nightmare ALBINO LULLABY - Screaming Hammy Slug Head Men - YouTube

No Man’s Sky and Gran Turismo Sport. Also the English version of Yakuza Zero when its released. They’ve finally released Yakuza 5 as english but its PS3 only and I gave mine away. Seriously considering getting a second hand PS3 again just so I can play through Yakuza 5.

XCOM 2 definitely.

Probably the next incarnation of MotoGP because I always do, and it’s a game I always come back to.

I don’t know what else. I wouldn’t mind an FPS but I’m over the gritty American soldier stuff. I’m also severely over the extended cut scenes that have plagued some of my more recent purchases (I’m looking at you Metal Gear Solid!).

I’ll pick up Far Cry: Primal at some point but wait for a sale first. I enjoyed 3 & 4 and this seems like the same basic thing but, well, it’s also the same basic thing so no rush on it.

Can’t think of anything else I’m really anticipating for 2016. Guess I’ll chip away at the backlog.

Oddly my list of 2016 games is entirely 2015 games that didn’t go on sale yet.

And when it goes on sale, for me. Bethesda doesn’t like to drop the base prices very quickly, but there’s a good chance we’ll see something decent on the Steam Summer Sale. By then, the tools will likely be out and many mods substantially more polished. Bethesda might even add a couple decent patches by then.

I’ve lost track of what’s coming out. Luckily, somebody else is doing the work:

Deus Ex in February? Damn you motherfuckers. I’ll never finish a video game again.

I’ll almost certainly get Day of the Tentacle Remastered. I have strong views that I must encourage the updating of these games so that they remain part of the shared conversation.

On the RPG front interested in Torment: Tides of Numenera, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and possibly Mass Effect: Andromeda. I’ll play Pillars of Eternity : White March after part 2 comes out if I hear good things about it. I liked the main game but heard bad things about part 1, and was never a big fan of the Icewind Dale style games. The combat mechanics in PoE weren’t that interesting, so a combat centric expansion wasn’t appealing.

For strategy games I’m looking at X-COM 2, Total War: Warhammer, and Fire Emblem: Fates.

May pick up Rise of the Tomb Raider and Fallout 4 if they go on sale in 2016.

The game I’m most looking forward to is Dark Souls III. The first Dark Souls is one of my favourite games of all time. While Dark Souls 2 was only a good game, the third one looks very promising and it has the designer of the first game Hidetaka Miyazaki as Director.

The Witness

Obduction

Obduction is from the Myst people, right?

Hitman is really the only game I’m waiting on. While I did enjoy Absolution, I’m looking forward to a next-gen version of the traditional Hitman experience.

Otherwise I’m just waiting for some Early Access stuff to get updates and improvements like Don’t Starve Shipwrecked and The Long Dark; while the former is fairly polished (probably owing to being add-on DLC), the latter is still in a pretty primitive state at the moment.

Another two in my “wait and see pile”: Blood Bowl 2 and Mortal Kombat X. Those two games and XCOM 2 are all suffering from the same problem - missing content relative to the current state of the previous games. Blood Bowl 2 has less than half the teams that are in Blood Bowl 1, Mortal Kombat X is missing fighters from Mortal Kombat 9, and XCOM 2 seems to have left out the MECs.

Dishonored 2, I will probably purchase as soon as or shortly after it’s released.

Fallout 4, when/if it hits 20-something bucks or there are plenty of mods/add-ons that make it the game I was actually anticipating

I’m no fan of 2D indie games, since I think they’re overpriced and underproduced (drawing all that art is hard, I guess.) That said, a bunch of interesting ones are dropping next year: EITR, Chasm, and Hyper Light Drifter.

Santa left me the following for wiling away 2016:

PS4…
Blood Bowl 2. I’ve been playing this and loving it, I get irrationally competitive with the AI and random number gods.
Fallout 4. Started playing, maybe about 20 hrs in, the best Fallout yet.
Far Cry 4. On my rainy day shelf for when I fell shooty.
Tales of Zesteria. For the rainy days when I feel like an angsty savior.

Some of my most anticipated games slated to come out this year are Uncharted 3, The Last Guardian and No Man’s Sky