What goes on inside a gay bathhouse?

The first time I heard of such establishments was when a Canadian (as it happens) friend came to my house for lunch. I was about 17 and still living at home, she was visiting her sister for the summer.

My parents engaged her in tedious polite conversation, as is customary in these circumstances:

“And what do your parents do?”

Her reply was that her father owned a bathhouse.

“And what might that be?” so she explained, more or less as per the OP’s definition above.

The image of my mother’s jaw dropping is etched in my memory forever more.
:smiley:

There’s a place not far from where I live that is essentially a series of private rooms with hot tubs, padded ledges the size of a twin bed, a separate shower/toilet/sink area, and also a separate small sauna.

You make a reservation, pay an hourly fee, and do whatever you want. Most people do.

I’m in a really bad mood this evening and should probably be confined to the Pit for the duration, but I’d like to mention that I enjoyed this post very much.

This is the kinda thing that makes me wish I was gay. It would be so awesome if there was something like that for straight people. Dammit, why isn’t there?! It sounds like such a kickass place.

It wouldn’t even need to be for straights or gays only. There ought to be a place like that where men and women of all orientatians can go for no-strings-attatched hookups. Fuck this whole thing of needing to go to parties and bars to talk your way into a girl’s pants. Why can’t there just be something like a gay bathhouse that just drops all the pretense and bullshit, and the people there would understand that they’re only there to get laid, plain and simple. If someone isn’t attracted to someone else, he/she could just say, no thanks, and move on. Dammit!

Just not fabulous enough, I guess.

Read Armistead Maupin’s “Tales of the City.” Lots of fun vignettes of San Francisco in the late 70’s.

PFR,

There are plenty of such places, at least outside of the Bible Belt where you and I presently reside . The problem isn’t the place, it’s the clientele. 95% male, and the rest looking to be paid for their time.

What you (and I) want is for women to adopt the classic gay male attitude: sex is like tennis, just a fun thing to do with balls for a 20 minutes and nothing more than that. Until the ladies get a major rewiring of their brains and/or hormones I guess we’ll be stuck with the status quo. OTOH, it could be worse …

There’s a place across the street from the local airport called the Blue Sky Bathhouse. I always wonder what exactly goes on in that place, but I’m too much of wiener to go in and find out.

There are, Paul, there are. They’re called ‘social clubs’ and adverstise discretely, if at all, because they are usually on the limen of the law, unfortunately. My information is second hand, but they sound about like described above, Hot tubs, lounge areas, Public, semi private and private areas to mingle and interact in any mutually acceptable way, clothing optional. IIIC (If I infer correctly) It’s mostly couples who go, looking to swing, or indulge their exhibitionism. Single cruising men will, just as in real life, outnumber single cruising women.

Running about, sniffing crotches asking everything in sight ‘wanna do me?’ would get you about as far as it would at a singles bar.

Yep, all it would take would be a complete change in the sexual psychology of humankind and it’d really take off.

It’s gonna happen, any second now.

“They’re still going at it.”
“You’re kidding!”
“Yeah, well, you know what they said to me? The told me that Paul fits Roy perfectly!”

That was the joke. It’s funny because it’s about sex.

Anyway, I doubt there are many sex clubs that have the atmosphere of a bathhouse. I’m also under the impression that there aren’t any bathhouses anymore - but when they existed, back before AIDS, they were generally quite anonymous. You’d have sex with some dude you didn’t know. Then you left. I don’t think most sex clubs work that way, though the intricacies of the straight mating ritual elude me. But most of them are going to require couples (since single women wouldn’t show up and single men definitely would) and I doubt they’re as anonymous.

Yeah, that’s why the hetero sex clubs that do exist are basically swingers clubs. They’re “couples only” which pretty much means that any dude who goes in there has to bring a woman with him or the whole thing just turns into a sausage fest.

Pretty much, been there, did that at way too young <evil grin> you can probably google something about it, but i am not at home and I dont want to shock the people in the room with looking over my shoulder at something like that=)

You say that like it’s a bad thing…

Um, they definitely still exist – there are at least five I know of in Montreal, of which one opened quite recently.

Still some in San Francisco, too. Damn. Sometimes I wish I lived there. Nothing like walking down the street, minding your own business, and suddenly being blessed by a Sister of Perpetual Indulgence. :cool:

Yeah, but those baptisms can get messy…

What do they do?

They do…

…stuff.

:confused:

Y’know…stuff?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

:eek:

:smack:

:rolleyes:

:smiley:

You’d think that’d be an advantage…

Grr… I’m such a meathead… I was trying to think of something to say to that, but couldn’t think of anything.