What goes with hummus? Carrots in particular...

A two-fold thread!

I am making some hummus for dipping tomorrow, as something of an appetizer before a roast chicken dinner for five. I was just asking my friends what I should include to dip into the hummus. Currently, my plans are for carrots & pita. The lovely moi says those sound great. The lovely twickster says carrots & hummus are a weird combination, particularly in texture.

So, my questions to you:

1. What do you like to eat with your hummus?
  2. Carrots with your hummus or not?

Hummus is good with just about anything!

I didn’t say weird, I said I didn’t care for it myself. OTOH, if you have both, people can pick whichever they like. You could weigh them before and after to see which got more eaten.

Carrots are fine.

In fact, I’ve yet to find anything that isn’t improved with hummus.

This is true. The obvious is slices of pita, crackers are great (I favor Wheat Thins, or actually the Trader Joe’s equivalent), and raw veggies like carrots and especially broccoli are wonderful with hummus.

Your typical “things that dip into ranch dressing” platter of sliced veggies works even better with hummus (minus the cherry tomatoes - that’s just asking for people to stick their fingers directly into the hummus). I’m not entirely sold on broccoli, but others seem to do it. Carrots, celery and cucumbers are excellent.

Pita, crackers, carrots, celery, endive, and as a sauce on kofte. Those are my favorite uses for hummus.

I prefer crunchy pita chips, but you can use any firm vegetable really. Carrots, celery, pea pods, cucumbers, etc.

My family demands lime-flavored tortilla chips, which has led me to putting more lime juice into my hummus. But carrots, yes are delicious. Tomatoes are fine too; people are supposed to be serving themselves plops of hummus, not dragging their individual vegetables and chips through the communal bowl.

Occasionally for lunch I’ll get single-serving sizes of hummus, carrots and celery and much away. Healthier than chips/pita, although those are obviously good too.

Granny smith apple slices are also good with hummus.

Oh, is that the name for a quantum of hummus? I like it.

mmmm celery sticks and hummus … /drool

Hummus is one of my common snacks, now that I can buy those little individual single serving cups of hummus. They are perfect for slipping into my purse with a small baggie of cut up veggie sticks. The little kick of protein and veggie is perfect for a diabetic snack. One single use cup is the perfect amount to smear all over a garlic pita.

I feel the need for some hummus now.:smack:

Get some whole wheat pita pockets, put some hummus and feta in them, add tomatoes or carrots if you like, and a bit of spinach leaves and balsamic vinaigrette. mmmmmmmmmmm

Hummus goes with anything, probably including carrots. I just don’t like carrots.

Sliced red peppers are perfect with hummus!

This, pretty much exactly. I’ve eaten it this way many times. Also, carrots, squash, zucchini, cucumbers, any veggie really. Even regular sandwich bread. I still prefer pita bread though.

Chocolate.

Deeeelightful.

Man, you serve me shards of glass and some hummus to dip them in and I’ll probably eat them. :smiley: