What happened in Serena's post game interview at the Open?

Some of the post game interview’s online:

I cannot think of any men players who shriek (not grunt) nearly as loud as Serena when she’s in fine howl. She, Venus and Sharapova seem to use their voices as weapons, often turning up the volume when they’re behind in order to intimidate their opponents.

>snarf<

I saw a withdrawn quiet tired athlete in front of the bright spots, really only answering that her opponent played a better game and had some lucky shots. And that she couldn’t analyze the breakdowns in the match at that point in time.

She was not rude, condescending or abrupt. She may have an issue with those post game interviews depending on who’s in the room, no friends in the media? fun fun fun

Grunting it’s whats good for ya!

Federer just spotted Roddick some matches so as not too hurt his feelings too much. Less obvious than tying one hand behind his back, or texting his girlfriend mid-point.

Is that over-the-top enough to be recognizably facetious. My previous digs at Roddick were also facetious, but more nuanced and understandably easily lost in a text medium.

Correction:
Federer just spotted Roddick some sets

Just watched the video. I’d forgive her all, because it’s clear she is simply trying not to burst out crying.

After seeing the video, I have to say it didn’t look as bad live as it did in print. She wasn’t arrogant or dismissive, she was just frustrated and unhappy about losing and didn’t want to talk to anyone about anything, much less the details as to why she lost.

Did Roddick win a set?

Did Serena?

Keep forgetting - it’s game - set - match.

Jeez, my attempt at levity really fell flat :frowning:

Barn Owl, that wasn’t a dig at anyone or anything - I was just making fun of Roddick and falling flat. No comparison to Serena.

Maybe they’re trying harder and they sound like it?

I thought it looked like she was tired, disappointed and trying not to cry and, in speaking extemporaneously, it came out.

So I finally watched the interview instead of just reading the stories about it, and this was my reaction as well. I didn’t get classless from this, so much as unpolished. The girl’s a tennis player, not a politician, and she went pretty much straight from the game to the interview. She was obviously very upset and very exhausted.

Her comment about lucky wasn’t what the columnists made it out to be: she preceded that with “she was better than me”, and the nquickly rattled off both “she got lucky” and “I made a lot of errors”. The main thrust of her statement seemed to be an attempt at humilty, IMHO. Is there anyone who has seen the interview who really thinks she was trying to denigrate Henin’s performance?

ETA: I hate the fricking grunting. Oughta be penalized.

Bored so I watched the interview. Dang, can’t help but feel sorry for her. She’s trying not to cry or say what she’d love to say. Just painfully obvious that Serena just wants to get through the interview and making an indirect plea to the reporters to wrap it up and let her go be miserable for a while.

Nothing like the written report

I grunt, I can’t help it. The tougher the match/opponent, the more I do it.

If I’d had to play Federer, it’d’ve been more like a moaney whine as I hid away in the corner.