What happened to Thora Birch?--and other actors that seemed to disappear for no reason...

Haha. I do love the movie in a good/bad movie sort of way.

I guess maybe that’s part of the problem - that he’s just sort of an everyman actor. Looking back it’s kind of surprising he even got Batman, being a comedy actor, not particularly good looking, not known for being a tough guy. Granted, he turned out to be pretty good in it, and up until the Christopher Nolan films, he defined the role in my mind. But he’s not really an obvious choice for a lot of the sort of big budget action roles, especially back in the late '80/early '90s, that would have made him a star.

She has worked, aye, but it’s mostly been in TV as a supporting character for one episode, not as the female lead in a major motion picture.

Between that and “Nobody puts Baby in a corner,” Swayze uttered some of the corniest lines in movie history.

The thing is, Keaton was a star. A big star. An A-lister. The question is why he didn’t keep doing movies that played to his strengths.

[Response deleted. I missed that someone else had made the point. :D]

After 1941, I always wondered why Treat Williams wasn’t a major star. But then someone who knows better about the “arts” pointed out that he is actually a pretty major star in ‘theater’. Whatever the hell that is…

:smiley:

Yes, someone mentioned Ace Ventura, which was a hit, but a surprise hit to a large extent and her role wasn’t exactly glorifying. She was a big star in the 80s, did Wall Street, and then the 90s came along and she started getting supporting roles in B-movies.

I thought she was already mentioned by apparently not: Geena Davis is another famous A-lister that went suddenly MIA after her TV show got pulled.

How about Susan Dey? Early hit (after a fashion) in the Partridge Family, then very successful in LA Law, she was also in Love and War (which I didn’t see, so I don’t know how big her role was), and then just bit parts and pieces since then.

and re: the OP: I think a dragon ate Thora. Or she got lost in a dungeon.

She’d stopped being an A-list movie star before she had a TV show, which is presumably why she was doing TV in the first place. And there’s at least one major reason why Davis’s movie career would have run into trouble – in 1995 she starred in one of the biggest flops of all time.

I thought Ellen Muth was really good in Dead Like Me but she’s really done almost nothing since then. Speaking of Dead Like Me, Jasmine Guy seemed to be on the way to being a pretty big star when she was on A Different World but seemed to disappear after being in a few movies.

It’s because she’s crazy. Weird, uncomfortable cuckoo crazy that nobody in Hollywood wanted to put up with.

Tim Burton cast Keaton as Batman on the strength of his performance in Beetlejuice. He said he wanted someone who looked like he would dress up in a bat suit and go out and do violence (in other words, someone borderline insane, which is what Bruce Wayne would be after having his parents gunned down before his eyes at the age of ten).

She is kind of funny looking. Her casting was one of the reasons Bryan Fuller was kicked off his own show.

Several of the female actors mentioned “dropped out of sight” when they hit their mid-to-late-thirties. Actresses have been saying for pretty much ever that the issue isn’t that they want to stop working, but that it becomes much more difficult for them to find work after ‘a certain age.’ Some manage to transition to television roles, but anyone familiar with the medium knows that there are many fewer scripted shows being produced these days. It’s also sometimes difficult for an actress known as an ingenue or leading lady to transition into character roles.

That may be true, but there are many more roles of substance for women of ‘a certain age.’

That reminds me when Lauren Bacall was on Actors Studio. A very, very star struck student asked her about what sort of fascinating projects she was working on and Lauren looked at her with pity and said: “honey, I’m just trying to get a job! Do you think it’s easy for a woman my age to find work in Hollywood?”

Is this just general knowledge or did y’all read this somewhere?

Almost all the cases of women disappearing into character roles in their 30s and black actors failing to get mainstream roles can be put down to the fact that Hollywood doesn’t offer very many substantial roles, especially starring roles, for older women and minorities.

Swayze’s last “headlining roles” were Ghost, Point Break, and City of Joy in 1990-1992. From then on he seems to have had steady work until his death 17 years later, but he never was a particularly interesting actor. He had a pretty face and he could dance, but he wasn’t really a long-term star. He could never have become Jeff Bridges, for example.

http://www.hollywood.com/news/Sean_Young_Arrested_at_Oscars_Party_Her_5_Craziest_Moments/18604189

I remember seeing her on a talk show years ago where she was in her Catwoman costume.