What Happens If You Take A Nitroglycerin Tablet Without Needing It?

As a public safety message I want to point out that stuff is both extremely unstable and extremely powerful. You’ve been warned.

Nitroglycerine is just a prodrug in this situation; the active compound is nitric oxide, NO, which has got to be the simplest/lowest molecular weight biologically active compound out there.
Hydrazoic acid, HN3, is also a potent vasodilator. It gives an appallingly intense, albeit short lived, headache.

They gave me a nitroglycerine tablet in the ER when they were trying to figure out if I was having a heart attack. I don’t remember anything happening, but that might have been because I was in so much pain. It was not heart; it was my first (and last) gall bladder attack. I had it out the next week.

Which of these effects cure headaches?

You’re right about the decreased O2 demand and the effect of decreased blood pressure on heart rate. Giving a little nitro can decrease O2 demand, but too much can have systemic effects that drop blood pressure and make the heart beat faster, thereby actually INCREASING the strain. What’s tricky is that the tipping point where you go from decreased O2 demand to reflex tachycardia can vary a lot from person to person and is very difficult to predict.

With someone who has nitro pills for angina, the goal is pain relief. Less pain is more calm, more calm is less stress on the heart while you wait for the ambulance to pick you up and take you to the hospital for an EKG, blood tests, and maybe a trip to the cath lab to get a stent put in.

Someone else takes it who doesn’t need it? Yeah, headache and maybe dizziness upon standing. That’s what you get for taking grandpa’s medicine, ingrate. :wink:

Short answer: the reduced proglastandins, as proglastandins are not only inflammatory but also transmit pain.

Longer answer: Aspirin’s primary mode of action is to stop the production of the COX enzymes. COX-1 is used to create thromboxanes, while COX-2 is used to create proglastandins. But it doesn’t just block COX-2, it also modifies it so tjat, instead of producing proglastandins, it also produces lipoxins, which are anti-inflammatory.

The lack of proglastandins reduce the transmission of pain, but, due to the opposite effect of the lack of thromboxanes, are not that anti-inflammatory. But the lipoxins make up for this. Both reduction in pain transmission and anti-inflammatory actions help to reduce headaches.

I had bronchitis, and I went to the emergency room. I made the mistake of saving that it hurts ::here:: while pointing to my chest. Among other things they did was to give me a nitro pill.

They said it would give me a bad headache.

It didn’t.

Still, to this day, I can say that I’ve never, ever had a headache.

So, in answer to your question…no.