What has happened to journalism?

It’s 24 hours a day. Quantity > Quality.

First: Best Username/Post Comment Of The Week!

Second, yeah the other stuff is a Lot more important than “Tooky-Poof Bum Gives Dolts The Air” and “Page 3 Special- Sheldon Gets Big Clang!”. Better news sources Should have better reporting on what matters. Stories that should be there:

***** Abdullah’s Death: Possible policy shift from US with SA? Price of Gasoline re: production? New mid-east target for ISIL?

***** Yemeni Coup: Will this be a new oil-fueled terrorist training ground? Will this affect tanker-ship safety passing from the Red Sea to the Gulf of Adan to the Arabian Sea? (You bet Djibouti…!)

***** Truce Fails in Ukraine: Putin ships in enough Military Gear to supply World War 3. Twice. Hundreds killed at Donetsk airport.

***** Cuba-US Relations: Steady progress through some rough waves

***** Asteroid 2004 BL86: High and to the Outside

***** US Rents: An upward spiral? Do New York’s Emergency Rent Laws of 1920 hold an answer?

***** Drones and Crime: Djinni out of the bottle?

***** Edgewater Fire: Christie is all over it in a not-so-subtle “my friends get this; Ft Lee gets That!” show of partisan governing style. Q: Is This what a Christie Presidency would offer to US States?

***** Snowden: Year-Old Intrusive Surveillance Laws Didn’t Stop Paris Attacks. Pols use fear to push through laws 9-11 Style in Europe. *Editorial Opinion Piece “Don’t You People EVER LEARN???”

So painful to hear… But So True…! :frowning:

I saw a bumper sticker the other day:

Smartest thing I’ve read on a car in years.

Better than low and inside.

I think the Yemen situation was the most significant, followed by the death of the monarch of a pretty significant country.

I agree that it was nuts to lead with the football story. Of course the Patriots cheat- it’s what they do.

This, times a million trillion billion.

I tend to watch BBC News and listen to NPR for real news beyond celebrities, cute animals, kids with severe illnesses, and trends-as-news. I understand local Boston news spending time every newscast on “deflate-gate” (ugh), but national news leading with it? Are you fucking kidding?

Real news isn’t quite dead in the US, but it’s on life support. Makes me sad. It also makes me glad that I didn’t go into journalism.

I was hanging on to the last shred of hope that Brian Williams was a real newsman and had the gravitas to stand up to at least the worst of what’s happening to journalism today. The last of my illusions were destroyed last night when Nightly News lead with the football non-story.

Nothing. That’s what people forget. Journalism has always been this way. In 1921, William Randolph Hearst famously boasted that the Fatty Arbuckle trial “sold more newspapers than any event since the sinking of the RMS Lusitania.” Let that sink in. Over 90 years ago the head of the largest media empire in the United States was equating a Hollywood murder trial with the event that a few short years earlier may very well have precipitated the entry of the United States into the largest war the planet had seen up until that time. And he was happy about it. Profit based “journalism” isn’t exactly new.

Shoot, even Joseph Pulitzer (of "Pulitzer Prize) fame wasn’t immune to it. This is how Wikipedia describes his purchase of the New York World.

[quote=WikipediaIn 1883, Pulitzer, by now a wealthy man, purchased the New York World from Jay Gould for $346,000. The newspaper had been losing $40,000 a year. To raise circulation, Pulitzer emphasized human-interest stories, scandal, and sensationalism.[/quote]
Sounds familiar, don’t it?

People without a proper sense of history will always cry “alas, what has happened to X?”. They pine for an imaginary past that never actually happened and they lose perspective because what is happening now is just more immediate to them.

Perhaps. That still doesn’t make it okay to watch news on television.

Except that it’s now suspected to be a product of domestic terrorism.

Where did you read that? All the news sites are reporting the fire was accidentally caused by plumbers.

That’s just what they want you to think…

Regards,
Shodan

That’s the point, exactly. Too many people think that the story is about King Abdullah’s death. That is only the surface story. The real reporting should have been around Crown Prince Salman, his views and likely policy direction. How likely is he to continue the SA market share ploy that has lowered oil prices dramatically? The US is sending the VP to the funeral while other countries are sending heads of state - how does that affect the world view of the US? Wait, Salman is 79 years old, who is waiting in the wings? What are the new Crown Prince’s views?

One of the most powerful and unstable regions of the world just lost a major leader. There are many more angles than “he was old”.

Interesting that all these angles were covered on NPR’s BBC News broadcast this morning. And not once did they mention under-inflated footballs. So real news IS possible. But less and less by mainstream American media.

And as for the theory, “it has always been thus”, I find it hard to imagine that Cronkite or Murrow or Jennings would have led with footballgate.

I caught some news tease during the Blazers game last night, which I assumed was referring to the Jersey fire.

I also recently switched to BBC from CNN for all the reasons listed above. The second day I opened the page, one of the secondary stories was “Do You Fart More in Airplanes?”

Sigh.

But yeah, overall, news coverage is much more comprehensive than anything over here.

There’s a lot of truth to that, although Hearst was a publisher, not a broadcast magnate, and his paper was the rag of the era. But I’m old enough to remember when the national televised news was an hour long, and anchors refused to avoid stories that would irritate powerful people, i.e., the Joe McCarthy expose. I also take exception to your last paragraph. You don’t know me and you don’t know what my knowledge/experience base is.

Watch the 1976 movie Network.

Then tell there is no such thing as predicting the future.

All of the mainstream media are owned by large corporations, part of the corporate oligarchy. Which is why you’ll rarely see stories which challenge the interests of the corporate oligarchy, and when you DO see them they will be slanted to reflect the best interests of the corporate oligarchy.

I find your lack of faith in the corporate oligarchy deeply disturbing.

I’m pretty sure that this is exactly what happens. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen a news story online, and then the next day the TV news reports the same story, often with very similar wording. It’s really obvious that they’re just reading story off CNN.com or FoxNews.com or wherever.