What have you been missing?

err…just ONE anything…

Well. it seems I’ve been missing all sorts of Important Celebrity-Oriented Infotainment.

But I have no idea what it is, because I missed it.

And I feel fine.

If you can think of a movie that everybody has seen, the odds are good that I haven’t seen it. We lived 30 miles from a theater when I was growing up, and I remember seeing three or four movies in my entire childhood. For the next 25 years or so, I couldn’t afford luxuries like movies. So they never really mattered to me. I’ve never seen any of the Star Wars movies, ET, pretty much you-name-it. Same with television. I went so many years without seeing any TV that it doesn’t occur to me to turn it on. From what I gather, I’m not missing much, either. I have hobbies that take up all my spare time. I’ve never been so bored that I thought “I guess I’ll go watch TV.” I have lots of stuff to do!

psst. It’s still called a trilogy, even though there are five books. It’s weird, but it’s Douglas Adams, what do you expect?

I’ve never seen the Godfather. This wouldn’t be so weird if I hadn’t spent four years in film school. I’ve seen this but not the Godfather.

Leave the gun. Take the canolis.

I’ve never seen The Goonies. Apparently I don’t know what I’m missing.

Whilst stolling the aisles of my local grocer, I passed a display of a popular American Beer.

I stopped.
Cocked my head.
And realized…
I’ve never tasted Budweiser.

My error in starting this thread is not realizing I was exposing myself to a number of other things I’ve never seen. I, too, have missed out on:

1. The Godfather trilogy (although I understand “III” isn’t worth seeing – any comments?)

2. The Goonies

3. The Sound of Music

I’m sure there’s more to come. Oh well. I shall take my medicine and start making a list…

You people that don’t like Catch-22, I think you maybe need to see a doctor.

ActuallyI re-read it about a year ago and it wasn’t quite as wonderful as I’d remembered, but it was still damn good. But nobody – nobody – finishes that sucker on the first try.

You can hardly call yourself an adult if you haven’t seen Godfather I and II. IMO, the director’s cut of III is quite good, but it’s not in the same league as the first two (especially II).

–Cliffy

I saw Dr. Strangelove for the first time this weekend.

I’ve never watched an episode of The Amazing Race, America’s Next Top Model, The Anna Nicole Show, The Assistant, Average Joe, The Bachelor, The Bachelorette, Big Brother, The Biggest Loser, Blow Out, Britney and Kevin: Chaotic, The Contender, The Cut, Dancing With The Stars, Hell’s Kitchen, Hit Me Baby One More Time, Newlyweds, Project Runway, The Real Gilligan’s Island, Rock Star: INXS, The Simple Life, Supernanny, The Surreal Life, Survivor, Trading Spaces, Trading Spouses, Wife Swap, or that show where people try to get fired.

I’ve never seen Close Encounters of the Third Kind or Alien (but they’re in my Netflix queue).

Never seen Godfather (I or II), Shawshank Redemption, Schindler’s List, Casablanca, Citizen Cane, or Dr. Strangelove to completion.

Ok then, what’s the attraction. Cliffy says no one gets through it the first time, is it an aquired taste? I know it was trying to be funny, but reading it made my brain try to escape my head. I could have finished off three interesting books (where, ya know, stuff actually happened. Plot, what a concept!) in the time it took me to hack through 3/5 of that tripe. So please, explain the attraction. :wink:

Also, I’m a lady.
grumble…thought Little Bird was a quite a feminine moniker….rassin frassin….

Despite Balle_M thinking ze didn’t miss anything by only seeing The Princess Bride recently… I still rate it as one of my top movies.

Which brings me to the item I missed out on for many years…

I just read the book The Princess Bride, after a decade of people telling me that if I liked the movie I had to read the book because it was even better. With so many books bearing only a passing resemblance to the movie, I was delightedly pleased to find that they were right. So now I add my voice to theirs… If you liked the movie, you really need to read the book.

I’m with you on Schindler’s List and Citizen Kane. I’ve seen bits and pieces of the latter, but have never been interested in seeing Schindler’s List.

(At my company’s old building the elevators were made by a company called Schindler; every time I used them, I chuckled to myself that I was in “Schindler’s lift.” :D)

He was exaggerating for effect, dear lady. I finished Catch-22 the first time I tried to read it, with no problem. Can’t explain why or how, because I can’t understand why anyone wouldn’t be able to. :slight_smile:

I am a forty year old American who has managed to never see a single second of the movie It’s a Wonderful Life.

I still haven’t seen Gone with the Wind end to end, and only managed to see The Sound of Music end to end for the first time a few weeks ago, after having seen almost all of it out of order at one time or another.

I am completely ignorant of all things related to Frank Herbert’s Dune mythos (books, movies, whatever).

Yep, this thread is also reminding me of what I’ve missed which includes Schindler’s List and Gone With The Wind.

hangs head in shame

Me, too, with the exception of Trading Spaces and with the additions of Fear Factor and American Idol.

You lucky SOB, you!

[baiting]I’ve always wanted to do it in a very…uncomfortable…place.[/baiting]

I can guarantee you I’ll finish this book on the first try. I just forced my way through the sequel to The Book of the New Sun, which was a travesty. I can finish Catch-22 in one go.
I still have not seen Steel Magnolias, nor all of Gone with the Wind. I did Sound of Music my junior year of high school, and so do not ever care to see it again. My reading list also includes Ender’s Game and maybe, just maaaaaybe some Tolstoy.
Also, my pops and I want to go to Boston and catch a Sox game in Fenway so we can say we’ve done the Big Three (in our opinion anyway, so no one get huffy: Yankee Stadium, Wrigley Field and Fenway). Some day we’re going to catch a Braves game in Atlanta, too, as a tribute to my late grandfather. I’ve never been to an NBA game, but I don’t really feel compelled to remedy that. I also want to go to Ireland/Scotland, like my grandfather did during WWII, and visit the homeland.

Schindler’s List! I knew I was forgetting something!

Oh, and I haven’t seen Life is Beautiful, either.

Hmmm…come to think of it, I’m not sure I’ve seen any recent Oscar award-winning films…