What highly prominent individuals died the same day?

There must be a huge number of incidents that killed several notable people at once. It’s really only interesting when they die in seperate incidents.

All the Goebbels (apart from the one kid not in Berlin) actually died the following day. Of course, given the circumstances, there were plenty of other prominant Nazis who non-coincidentally also died on either day.

Princess Diana and Mother Teresa died 5 days apart in 1997; the former on 8/31/97, the latter on 9/5/97.

I’ll bet that won’t happen again for a few years.

Well, define “household names”. How about Wiley Post and Will Rogers, both household names at the time, died in the same plane crash.

I see you’re right. I could’ve sworn they all died on the same day. Thanks.

Édith Piaf and her friend Jean Cocteau

From Wikipedia: “Cocteau died of a heart attack at his chateau in Milly-la-Foret, France, on 11 October 1963 at the age of 74, only hours after hearing of the death of his friend, the French singer Édith Piaf.”

I swear, there has got to be a joke in there somewhere.

Legendary (American) football coach Bill Walsh and filmmaker Ingmar Bergman both died last Monday (July 29, 2007). Journalist and talk show host Tom Snyder died the previous day, along with British comedian Mike Reid and baseball player Bill Robinson.

Actor Gregory Peck and anchorman David Brinkley, June 12, 2003.

Bonnie and Clyde.

Actors Roger Bowen and Maclean Stevenson both died within 24 hours of each other.

The connection? Both played Col. Henry Blake in MAS*H – Bowen in the movie and Stevenson on TV. And both died of heart attacks.

Naturalist and TV host Marlin Perkins, and playwright Alan Jay Lerner, June 14, 1986.

Having just visited Oscar Mayer’s corporate headquarters on Friday, where I used to work, I’d like to ask — what?

THAT beautiful woman was the voice of the demon inside Regan in The Exorcist? Holy crap!!!

Both John Lennon and some scientist (who’s name escapes me) died on the same day. Both were shot, Lennon by a lunatic, the scientist by a burglar. The scientist, however, managed to run over his assailant on his way to the hospital.

John Ritter and Johnny Cash both died on Sep 12th, 2003, I believe.

According to Wikipedia, Ritter died on September 11.

Surprised this one wasn’t mentioned already:
River Phoenix and Federico Fellini: Oct 31, 1993

And now a bunch of others…

King Charles XV of Sweden and Mexican president Benito Juarez: July 8, 1872
King Frederick VIII of Denmark and dramatist August Strindberg: May 14, 1921
Authors G. K. Chesterton and Maxim Gorki: June 14, 1936
Baseball pitcher Walter Johnson and author Damon Runyon: December 10, 1946
King Ibn-Saud and poet Dylan Thomas: Nov. 9, 1953
Actor/director Buster Keaton and gossip columnist Hedda Hopper: Feb. 1, 1966
Baseball player Jimmie Foxx, actor Basil Rathbone and Nobel Peace Prize winner Albert Luthuli: July 21, 1967
Egyptian president Gamal Abdel Nasser and novelist John Dos Passos: Sept. 28, 1970
Actress Margaret Rutherford and British poet laureate Cecil Day-Lewis: May 22, 1972
Actors Wally Cox and Tim Holt: Feb. 15, 1973
Actor/playwright Noel Coward and baseball player George Sissler: March 26, 1973
Actor Joe E. Brown and conductor Otto Klemperer: July 6, 1973
Jazz musician Thelonius Monk and acting teacher Lee Strassberg: Feb. 17, 1982
Choreographer George Ballanchine and blues singer Muddy Waters: April 30, 1983
Classical guitarist Andres Segovia and bandleader Sammy Kaye: June 2, 1987
Actor Lorne Greene and reggae singer Peter Tosh: Sept. 11, 1987
60s radical Abbie Hoffman and boxer Sugar Ray Robinson: April 12, 1989
Baseball manager Billy Martin and Romanian dictator Nicolae Ceaucescu: DEc. 25, 1989
Publisher Malcolm Forbes and singer Johnnie Ray: Feb. 24, 1990
Jazz musician Dizzy Gillespie and ballet dancer Rudolf Nuryev: Jan. 6, 1993
Replacement Stooge Curly Joe DeRita and baseball pitcher Don Drysdale: July 3, 1993
North Korean dictator Kim Il-Sung and 'Bewitched’s Dick Sargeant: July 8, 1994
60s radical Jerry Rubin and serial killer Jeffrey Dahmer: Nov. 28, 1994
Ginger Rogers and Jeopardy host Art Fleming: April 25, 1995
Eva Gabor and tennis player Pancho Gonzalez: July 4, 1995

Until I clicked on the link I thought you were talking about Marge Schott – and wondering what the hell kind of freak you were for calling her beautiful.

Theodore Roosevelt’s first wife and mother both died on the same day, 14 February 1884.