What if an animal IS harmed during the making of this film?

Assuming there’s no gross negligence - say, a horse just happens to die filming a battle scene - do the movies still get to put that NAACP warning at the end of the credits? Is there a penalty for animal-killing?

As I understand, there is a person from the Human Society present during the filming of all scenes using animals to ensure there is no abuse. If the animal just keeled over from a heart attack or was killed in an accident, there wouldn’t be any repercussions, assuming it had been cared for and the accident was unforseeable.

And, by the way, it’s not the NAACP.

It’s either the Humane Society or the ASPCA.

I think you mean Humane Society. I was going to reply that I think it’s the ASPCA but you are correct.

http://www.americanhumane.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pa_film

*** No Persons of Color were Harmed during the Making of This Film * **
From Wikipedia
The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP), is one of the oldest and most influential civil rights organizations in the United States. It was founded February 12, 1909 to work on behalf of African Americans. Members of the organization have referred to it as The National Association, referencing the NAACP’s preeminence among organizations active in the struggle for civil rights and equality since its origins in the first decade of the 20th century. Due to this fact, its members feel little need is to specify which “national association.” Its name, retained in accord with tradition, is one of the last surviving uses of the term “colored people”, now generally viewed as dated and derogatory. In the historical context of the NAACP, however, the term is not considered offensive.

Ha! Let’s just call that my faux pas for the day. Over lunch I was watching the Colbert Report from last week about Pres. bush attending the NAACP convention.

Serves me right for posting while sleepy.

If you wait until this fall, you can see if the movie Flicka gets to use this disclaimer: two horses died in accidents during filming, albeit through accidents. This article said that as of March of this year, no decision had been made.

The Abyss was censured by the AHA for the “rat in brething underwater” scene. I don’t think there were any serious repercussions (in the US at least).

In the opening scene of Natural Born Killers, a scorpion is run over by a car. To what extent are animals protected? Do we draw the line at vertebrate/invertebrate?

Are you sure it’s a real insect?

You’re really asking for it.

re: griffin1977’s link:

“goaded to fury” has got to be one of the better phrases I’ve seen this week.

One more nitpick: American Humane is a great group, but they have no trademark or other hold on “humane society,” which is a descriptive phrase sort of like “rape crisis center” or “gun club,” not something that gets capitalized by itself like National Rifle Association. Individual humane societies often have membership in organizations like the Humane Society of the United States, but these memberships convey no governing rights on HSUS. American Humane used to be called the American Humane Association; I’m not really clear on why they changed their name.

Here’s American Humane’s review of Natural Born Killers. They apparently didn’t monitor its production. Here’s their full guidelines for treating animal actors (pdf). I’ve not bothered to read it.

Daniel

Right, but both of those deaths were accidental. :slight_smile:

No. Even if they’re using cockroaches in a scene, the activity is monitored and the buggies’ welfare looked out for.

But it’s OK if the actors eat real steak in a scene?

Julian Bond, will you be my new black friend?

Huh. They don’t have a review for The Adventures of Milo & Otis. That’s too bad, 'cuz in that movie, they chucked that cat right off a freaking cliff into the ocean.

[sub]Cracks me up every time I see it.[/sub]