What if Hillary took one for the team?

Supreme Court is 4 - 4, I say go for it.

Many people are convinced that (Insert politician here) is a shape-shifting lizard person, who is bent on world domination.

What if (insert politician here) took one for the team and admitted they were a shape shifting lizard person, and dropped out of the race for (office)?

moral of the story… When your initial premise for your discussion comes from pathetic partisan conspiracy theories, don’t be surprised when nobody takes your discussion seriously.

She has high negatives only after 24 years of demonization by the right. Democrats like her fine. Some may have preferred Bernie, I would have preferred Biden, but Hillary is fine. Suppose Kaine did take her spot. I suspect that immediately there would be a smear campaign against him and his negatives would go up. Ditto for Biden and Bernie. Republicans are going to smear the Democratic nominee, that’s what they do. If Kaine were to win on Nov 8, then on Nov 9 McConnell would announce that the most important thing in the world for Republicans would be to make sure that Tim Kaine is a one-termer. Republican hatred is fully transferable, as you can see how seamlessly it went from Bill Clinton to Al Gore to John Kerry to Barack Obama to Hillary.

What if the Republicans took one for the good of the country and threw their support behind Democrats in every race because Democrats:

1. Are generally more honest
  2. Get things done
  3. Protect the poor, the weak, women, minorities, etc.
  4. Typically create sensible laws not based on their interpretation of a book written by shepherds thousands of years ago
  5. Want to create unity, not divisiveness among races

If Reince Preibus were to direct the RNC to help out Democrats, he’d be hailed as the greatest statesman since Lincoln!

It would still be an improvement to the ticket.

I think people are being a little too hard on the OP. Let’s give him credit: he used the candidate’s name, as opposed to “Queen of the Harpies” or other sexist nicknames that have appeared elsewhere on this board.

“Give credit”? In God we trust, all others, cash.

As P.J. O’Rourke said about Hillary, he’d be wrong about absolutely everything, but at least he’d be wrong within normal parameters.

/thread win

That’s enough of that. Keep it impersonal.

No warning issued.

Hillary is not a person who would take one for the team. She believes that she already did that by allowing Obama to run. Nothing and nobody is going to get between her and that title this time, she didn’t rig the primaries for nothing.

I think it’s a little late to get her name off of the ballot.

Under California law (Elections Code Section 6906), the electors would have to vote for Clinton for President, even if she didn’t want the job. Of course, in that case, she could either refuse to take the oath (although I think that in that case, Kaine is only “acting President”), or take the oath and then resign. Doing it that way also gets around any possibility of a demand to recall the Convention to choose her successor, with the likely possibility that Bernie Sanders would end up as the new nominee.

How did the urban myth get started that Hillary Clinton rigged the primaries?

In any case, in Clinton were to drop out for any reason, her successor would very likely lose to Trump. No matter who it was, they would be correctly perceived as someone who wasn’t good enough to be the nominee were it not for Clinton’s dropping out due to (health/death/death in family/scandal/winning Borgata poker tournament and can’t leave table/whatever.) The new nominee would be parachuted in as a Substitute Candidate, not someone with a real purpose, campaign team, and strategy that had been prepared for over a year.

Quite frankly, if Clinton learned today that she had a brain tumour and would certainly die sometimes in spring of 2017, it would be her patriotic duty to hide that fact, win the Presidency, and deny it to Trump. On top of that her ambition is limitless. She will not drop out for any reason.

How, exactly, did she “rig” the primaries?

Please explain.

I think this is basically right. It’s too late to easily get someone else on the ballot in at least some number of states, so removing herself would cause a ton of problems, up to and almost certainly including going to court in a number of states where deadlines have already passed. The closer in the election we get, the more difficult it would be to replace a candidate on the ballot in every state.

Ballotpedia (who knew there was such a site?) says 20 states have August deadlines and almost 20 more have September deadlines for the general election.

That’s ignoring the fact that we know much more about Clinton’s health than Trump’s since her doctor wrote an actual professionally sound letter summarizing her general health, while Trump’s doctor essentially wrote, “LOL, he is totally Superman never gonna die!”

Hillary’s got plenty of problems but health does not appear to be one of them.

The real reason Hillary should step down is because she is pregnant…with twins…and Bill’s not the father… and the twins are radical Islamic terrorists so she can’t be impartial about radical Islam… oh and they gave her foundation money… and they emailed Benghazi so she is totally in the tank for radical Islam.

DA: So, your theory is that ISIS was emailing Hillary while she was at Benghazi, murdering four people solely with her teeth, powered by insane bloodlust and an unquenchable thirst for power, while at the same time her cruel minions were rigging the DNC primary by convincing some old fart to join the party 1 month before he ran as its nominee for President, a man with no contacts, no initial organization, and not a great understanding of the rules?

I think you cracked the case, good sir!

:smiley:

Cite that Hillary “allowed” Obama to run?

Cite that Hillary “rigged” the primaries?

People are saying.

Lots of people, smart people, some of the best people, they’re saying this.

nm